Super 8 XRS v. Alinco 6.5

plakey

Super 8 XRS v. Alinco 6.5
« on: 25 Sep 2017, 12:32 am »
Hello.

I'm wondering if someone can comment on the difference in experience/sound between the Super 8" driver and the Alnico 6.5" Hemp driver. In other words, how would one decide between a Super 8 tower and a Super Alnico tower?

If it helps, I am running a 845 SET (Line Magnetic 518ia).

Thank you,
Patrick

loco11

Re: Super 8 XRS v. Alinco 6.5
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2017, 02:23 pm »
This is a great question. I spoke with Louis yesterday about this same comparison and I'm still confused about which to purchase. I'm moving up from the SAMs, possibly.  He did reiterate that the RS8 is like the RS5 on steroids. I had the 3XRS and really appreciated (and miss) the speed of that driver, but how well that carries over to the Super 8 or if it has speed that is similarly characteristic of the 3 is unknown (to me).  I'm likely to go with the two drivers and pony up the additional $1800 and be done. Then I can finally delete the Omega Speaker bookmark from Safari, as my speaker shopping will finally conclude.

plakey

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2017, 03:30 pm »
Thank you for your reply. I guess it's still confusing! I don't know what the RS5 sounds like, nor the Alnico drivers... Maybe I should call Louis myself.  8)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2017, 03:58 pm »
This is a great question. I spoke with Louis yesterday about this same comparison and I'm still confused about which to purchase. I'm moving up from the SAMs, possibly.  He did reiterate that the RS8 is like the RS5 on steroids. I had the 3XRS and really appreciated (and miss) the speed of that driver, but how well that carries over to the Super 8 or if it has speed that is similarly characteristic of the 3 is unknown (to me).  I'm likely to go with the two drivers and pony up the additional $1800 and be done. Then I can finally delete the Omega Speaker bookmark from Safari, as my speaker shopping will finally conclude.

It definitely carries over... the 8 sounds a lot like the 5 with better low end extension. It's been too long since I heard the Alnico and it might not be exactly the same since I heard it, so I can't comment on the differences between the 8 and the Alnico but if money was not a factor the dual-driver Alnico tower would be what I'd get.

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2017, 04:21 pm »
If I were confused about what speaker to buy I'm not sure I would be rushing to make a purchase.

You have enough power to run any Omega model in a typical room.  I own two pair of RS5 based monitors (Super 3 and Super 3HO) and they are fast (faster than the SAM) with a great high end but are a little thin in the bass.  The 1.5 configuration helps but we are still dealing with the realities of physics.  The SAM is fuller in the bottom than the RS5 (maybe even the HO model, but those are still breaking in) but stills suffers from a maximum output limitation.  I have not heard the Alnico HO models nor the new 8" models, but can offer these thoughts:

• I have a distinct sense memory of a pair of largish monitor speakers I owned more than 20 years ago:  a DIY pair of Cabasse 8" 2-ways that were 94dB efficient.  I ran the, with a 1.5 watt 45 SET and while they were ultimately limited in absolute output level, were full sounding and extended on both top and bottom. Part of me says that an 8" driver might just be the sweet spot for an extended range driver.
  • The whizzer on the 8" driver looks a lot different than the whizzer on the smaller drivers.  It appears wider and flatter and has a rolled edge.  Two things occur to me:  The flatter whizzer and rolled edge will likely lessen any nasties from the whizzer and make them easier to treat, and the shape of the whizzer is remarkably similar to the RS5 cone, which may explain the similarity of tone.
  • Louis has also spoken about a dual driver version of the 8" model, which might be a killer if you prefer the sound of the driver vs. the Alnico.  I would imagine the pricing to scale with the cabinets.
  • Alnico vs. Ferrite:  This one is sticky for me.  I don't own two otherwise identical drivers to hear the difference between Alnico and ferrite magnets alone.  If I could locate and borrow a pair of Altec 414-8E's (ferrite magnet) I could compare them to my 414-8C's (Alnico) and do a direct comparison.  All iterations of the 12" 414 series are among the best midrange drivers ever made and can be run with no crossover at all, covering 50-4,000hz.

I have a growing list of tests and comparisons that I now owe other AC members.  Hopefully I will get the time to start knocking them out.

R