HOW TO LISTEN TO HIGH END AUDIO:

HsvHeelFan

Re: HOW TO LISTEN TO HIGH END AUDIO:
« Reply #40 on: 12 Jul 2017, 11:02 pm »
I also listen for details in the music.  In rock and roll are there quiet extra bits running around that you can hear on this system (Pink Floyd/Alan Parsons Project/ELO are good artists for this) but not on a lesser quality audio system?

With classical music,  I listen for inner accompaniment voices like 2nd violin or viola parts, 2nd clarinet/2nd flutes.  Any inner voices in a symphony or chamber music work that you KNOW well, will do.

HsvHeelFan

G E

« Reply #41 on: 12 Jul 2017, 11:44 pm »
For me it is all about goosebumps and master tape epiphanies.

For years it was "this is sounding good!... How do I make it better?"

Thanks to James Tanner et al at Bryston and their beautiful bad ass 28's, (and some other wunderbar gear), I'm not chasing the rainbow anymore.

So now I chase Mint- vinyl and look forward to my weekend listening sessions with 12 year old single malt scotch or local craft beer.  And sometimes I get together with a friend who has to settle for VAC amplification. ;-)

I do enjoy outings to the symphony. Not much of a dress code these days although season openers can get toney. Our symphony sells Rush tickets on Thursdays for $10-15 and some of those seats are A-1. Center stage 8-12 rows will blow your hair back if Mahler or some of the more robust romantics are being played.

And after this experience you will know no effort to build a stupendous super-duper record playing (or digital) system will come close to reproducing the event.  It's a ridiculous proposition!

[ However, Brian Cheney RIP, founder/owner of VMPS Speakers, did some remarkable small ensemble live vs recorded demonstrations several years running at one of the major west coast shows. His speakers ignite energy like no other. Proud owner of RM30 Series2]

I like to listen to music. Ever since that first 9-transistor radio in 1965. It can be a time machine to old times with good friends to simply wondering how this mix of wires and stuff can sound so good.

Nuff sed from me.

Joe Frances

« Reply #42 on: 14 Jul 2017, 06:19 pm »
HOW TO LISTEN TO HIGH END AUDIO?

There's only one way that works for me. Eyes closed, pay attention to what you hear. That's it.

Plus a cocktail or a decent wine; and maybe a cigar or for me a well-loaded briar pipe and some smooth English tobacco with Latakia.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #43 on: 14 Jul 2017, 07:44 pm »
....or for me a well-loaded briar pipe and some smooth English tobacco with Latakia.

Latakia.
Are you Syrian by chance?

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #44 on: 15 Jul 2017, 01:09 am »
Plus a cocktail or a decent wine; and maybe a cigar or for me a well-loaded briar pipe and some smooth English tobacco with Latakia.
I like your style!
For me some great Bourbon with some music I enjoy and I'm in it.. I used to smoke but gave up cigarettes when I was seven. I do miss that briar pipe with a good Cavendish though.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #45 on: 15 Jul 2017, 05:23 pm »
For me the best mode for listening is cognac or red wine, feet up sitting in the sweet spot and letting my mind travel to where ever the tunes takes me........... :wine: :thumb:

redbook

« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2017, 05:25 pm »
I like your style!
For me some great Bourbon with some music I enjoy and I'm in it.. I used to smoke but gave up cigarettes when I was seven. I do miss that briar pipe with a good Cavendish though.
  Seven !  lol...for me I gave up during grade 3 because my wife didn't like it.... :lol:

redbook

« Reply #47 on: 15 Jul 2017, 05:27 pm »
  Cognac:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2017, 06:12 pm »
  Seven !  lol...for me I gave up during grade 3 because my wife didn't like it.... :lol:

Well, I didn't to bring up my second wife that left me when I was nine.... I took it pretty hard!
On the other hand she still is my sister..

Cognac!
+1!

redbook

« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2017, 11:53 pm »
Well, I didn't to bring up my second wife that left me when I was nine.... I took it pretty hard!
On the other hand she still is my sister..  Oh, sorry to hear that...must have been a difficult time for you :( :(

Cognac!
+1!

redbook

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jul 2017, 11:59 pm »
 :thumb: :icon_lol:

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #51 on: 17 Jul 2017, 03:34 am »
For me, it's bourbon all the way.   I currently have bottles of Woodford Reserve,  Michter's Small Batch and Wild Turkey Diamond anniversary open.

HsvHeelFan

spinner

« Reply #52 on: 18 Jul 2017, 02:22 am »
Sounds good , be right over ...have records and my own glass.... :dance:

Mag

« Reply #53 on: 12 Aug 2017, 05:52 pm »
For me it was progressive learning. I started home audio around the year 2000. Before that I mainly listened to car audio while driving taxi for many years.

Not my initial set up but near the beginning I was disappointed that I couldn't get that edge sound to Ritchie Blackmore's guitar. So I looked for a speaker that had that sound and settled on bookshelves that had a metal tweeter as opposed to soft dome tweeter. That speaker crapped out because the vibrations caused the wiring in the speaker to touch, shorting out.

It was around that time my then girlfriend had bought a cheap surround sound system which sounded better than my more expensive stereo. So that's when I shifted to surround sound. I could never get stereo to image properly anyway so surround sound was the solution to immersive sound which is what I like.

So like I'm always analyzing the sound while enjoying the music. Mainly to determine where the weak link is in the stereo chain an upgrading that component to where I am now.

I think the #1 thing I listen for is transparency and I believe I have achieved that with my mostly all Bryston gear. I can't determine any weakness to sound so I guess I'm finally done upgrading after spending many thousands of dollars. :smoke:

redbook

« Reply #54 on: 13 Aug 2017, 12:48 am »
Seriously now...sorry about those silly jokes...I began my audio journey in 1967. I took a favorite LP (Simon and Garfunkel's  Sounds of Silence) to this new  and strange store in town . They sold some fine  looking sound gear . They had a 35 watt "Sansui"  receiver hooked up to a pair of  Fisher bookshelf speakers with a Dual turntable .  I was awed and amazed as to how good that record sounded ! I had played it numerous time at home on my simple record player and after hearing it on this very fancy system I have never "looked" back.  Only now , with my Bryston gear, is my quest  near completion.  :thumb:

Rupret

« Reply #55 on: 13 Aug 2017, 09:47 pm »
And then you will have achieved total consciousness...

You have that going for you

redbook

« Reply #56 on: 13 Aug 2017, 10:27 pm »
 :thumb:  I sure hope so..... :lol:

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #57 on: 14 Aug 2017, 03:07 am »
Key word is not how, its LISTEN...One just has to take the time to really LISTEN and be involved with the sound of the music.

Some people become audiophiles because they just want to own expensive 50k and over gear just so they can show them off to others and brag about it....While others dont put any real emphasis on the cost of the gear but more on whats pleasing to there own ears for there own enjoyment.

If that gear that I chose regardless of price makes me edgy/restless and or fatigued over prolonged periods of listening time then that is not the right gear for me.

The right gear for me to LISTEN to is the one that makes me feel calmed and relaxed...IMO Sound is very emotional as the vibration tone frequencies can affect ones emotional state.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #58 on: 15 Oct 2017, 07:24 pm »

~HAVE YOU EVER GOTTEN GOOSEBUMPS? requirement. If you have NEVER gotten goosebumps from listening to music.. Forget it. you cannot do the task.~

Once again, Elizabeth's enduring clarity is always most appreciated and be savoured as a fine delicacy   :thumb:

Be well...

witchdoctor

« Reply #59 on: 15 Oct 2017, 09:49 pm »
I don't think there are absolutes in audio, only preferences. If there was one right way everyone would just do the same thing.