Super Alnico High Output Speaker Short Review

nature boy

Super Alnico High Output Speaker Short Review
« on: 5 Jun 2017, 09:04 pm »
So I have had my Super Alnico High Output speakers hooked up to my Decware Mystery (ZMA) amplifier for about a month now.  Over the last couple of weeks I've been auditioning some of Dave Cahoon's (Zenwave Audio) IC's within my system.

Here are my impressions:  The ZMA is an exceptional, musically satisfying amplifier.  It is absolutely quiet in my system, has perfect tonality to my ears, and creates an insanely accurate 3D soundstage driving Omega Super Alnico High Output speakers. 

The sound from my speakers really opened up when I replaced my Reality Cables with Zenwave's offerings (D3 & D4 interconnects and SMSG speaker cables).   I can just hear so deeply into the music now.  It appears that the ZMA/SAHO combination benefits from the best cables you can throw into the mix.

It's difficult for me to put the sound characteristics of the Mystery amplifier and SAHO speaker combination into words.  But to me what best describes this combination is the immersive listening experience you'll enjoy with decent source equipment.  You simply get lost in the music.  And after all isn't that what this hobby journey is all about?

This amplifier was a early retirement gift to myself.  Having worked in the non-profit conservation arena throughout my career, I just count my blessings people like Steve Deckert (Decware), Louis Chochos (Omega Loudspeakers) and Dave Cahoon (Zenwave Audio) make such wonderful and reasonably priced audio products.  Sonic nirvana awaits those who journey well - thanks Steve, Louis and Dave.

NB

Louis O

Re: Super Alnico High Output Speaker Short Review
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2017, 01:32 pm »
Hi nature boy,

Thanks for the great review and sorry for the delay in posting.

Many thanks for your very kind words and most important is as you said getting lost in the music and that's what it's all about.

I have Dave's cables and they are exceptional with my speakers and now I really want to hear Steve's ZMA amp.

Thanks again,
Louis

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2017, 06:02 pm »
Hi nature boy,

Thanks for the great review and sorry for the delay in posting.

Many thanks for your very kind words and most important is as you said getting lost in the music and that's what it's all about.

I have Dave's cables and they are exceptional with my speakers and now I really want to hear Steve's ZMA amp.

Thanks again,
Louis

Louis,

If you and your family ever vacation at the Delaware beaches you're welcome to stop by for a cold one and an extended listening session with the ZMA amp and your speakers.  A truly exceptional match.  Dave's cables are truly amazing too, several well recorded discs and vinyl allow that "musicians in the room" sensation.

Keep up the great products my friend!

NB

Ben1248

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2017, 09:01 pm »
This thread is about the Super Alnico HO speakers, so I was thinking my experience  with these fit here:

I would like to thank the community to make me aware of an excellent audio system and for all the related information I was able to read. Maybe my journey can be of interest for others. For me it is not easy to test and to listen to all the equipment prior making a decision, so I rely on forum's discussion and reviews.

Since 2011 I have a system consisting of KefQ900 speakers and a Cyrus pre- and power amplifier. 2015 I updated my front end to an Aries w/ special power supply and the Chord  2Qute Dac. Over the years the soundstage and SQ improved by using better USB cable (Wireworld), power chords, and the firmware upgrades for my beloved Auralic Aries. I remember initially the soundstage was small between the speakers and became better and better. However, I always had some harshness and ringing at higher frequencies (it became better with the all the step by step improvements). I could hardly enjoy piano music. It didn't sound natural and the ringing didn't sound right….sometimes I blamed it on my ears (note: I am about 50)

End of last year I started to search how to upgrade my system. Mainly I was looking for new speakers (note: this should be my major final upgrade). Read about single driver speaker from Voxativ, Trenner & Friedl, Heco, Zu, DeVore  ……., and via audiocircle I discovered Omega. The concept - single driver, no cross over, and high sensitivity, and local (I am in Georgia) - made sense to me and after talking to Louis, I ordered Super Alnico HO speakers with “R” component in February. Based on community’s information and Dave’s (Zenwave Audio) recommendation, we use as internal wires the SMSG 20 gauge wires. As speaker wires, I ordered from Dave SL17 speaker cables (note:here there might be a possible upgrade to the SMSG 20 speaker cables).

Then I had to wait for about 3 months to get the speakers. In the meantime I received the speaker cables from Zenwave. I was surprised, that these worked so well with my original system, despite being only 17 gauge (there was no reduction in bass compared to the Straight Wire Symphony speaker cable I used,when listening e.g.,  to Rebecca Pigeon " Spanish Harlem" or "Let’s get stoned" from Carmen Gomes (Sound Liaison). I go the impression, that the gauge of loudspeaker cable might not be so important, at least not for my original system.

Still waiting for the speaker, I read about the ZOTL amplifiers and how people are happy to combine the omega speakers with these type of amplifiers (note: I was thinking, that the harshness I hear, might come from a combination of the KEFQ900 and my Cyrus components) . Talked to Louis and Mark (LTA) and based on their recommendations, I ordered the ZOTL10. The Zotl10 arrived 2 weeks later and I used it directly with my KEFQ900 without pre-amp (the DAC went directly to the ZOTL10). I was surprised again how well 10W were driving the KEFQ900 speakers, which required 15W-200W. I noticed a general improvement with the new amplifier and the Zenwave speaker cable. Now all these new components had time to burn-in.

Then Louis's speakers arrived in May. Beautifully finished (2 tone; front: "Real BirdsEye Maple” all other 5 sides in "Real Walnut”). Now after 3 month listening I can not be happier with my decision  (note: I also added the Micro Zotl 2.0 to my system):

1) The soundstage is incredible (very wide). The speakers are there, but the sound comes out between speakers (note: I have the impression that the “location" of instruments are changed to the better, e.g. the piano in “From the Age of Swing - Dick Hyman - song: "Topsy” is more upfront and not anymore so far back on the stage)

2) The sound is very clear (I had a 30year old person listening to the system and a 60 year old trained piano player; both used the term clear and enjoyed listening with closed eyes; both of them are not audiophiles)
3) A piano sounds like a piano; voices are incredible; every solo instrument (guitar, cello, trumpets, ..) sounds realistic; drums sounds impressive (e.g. Eddie Graham Trio: S’Wonderful Jazz; Pedrito Martínez and his Rumba de la Isla); I now can listen to solo piano music, which I couldn't do with my former system.
4) It is fun to locate "on the stage between the speakers" the different instruments of chamber orchestras, small jazz bands, and even at a big orchestra (Mahler 5th; BIS Records; 2017 Minnesota Orchestra; 96k/24 download)
5) Something about the bass; I think the bass is realistic (note; I had more bass with KEFQ900, but I think this is not realistic); My wife and I go to concerts and recently during our visit to Europe we had a concert in Vienna (Golden Hall in the Musikverein; one of the top 10 music halls….I believe). We listened to Schubert's Unfinished (D759) and also to Bruckner's  #4; the double bass, when we listened at two location row 9 and 16 (before and after intermission:-)) was nearly identical to a good recorded pieces in my new system; I am not missing anything here)
6) The speakers are beautifully made!
7) I read a lot of spouse's approval on the websites ;-) My wife was very skeptical about the upgrade; her favorite pieces is Mozart the clarinet concert K622 (Wolfgang Meyer; Mozart: Clarinet Concerto; Oboe Concerto; Concerto for Flute & Harp; Das Alte Werk) … and she noticed the significant SQ improvements; again  "very clear" comes up; she also “enjoys” the boxes: beautiful speakers, ZOTL10, micro ZOTL2.
P.S. The Super Alnico HO speakers can be run with  voices using the micro Zotl2, but for music which requires some lower frequencies the ZOTL10 is needed (2017 Silent Light (ECM) - Dominic Miller - Song "Water" sounds “complete’ with the ZOTL10)

Over the last 3 month I noticed, that I read less about possible improvements & upgrades and I just enjoy listening to music……mission accomplished! I am sure other combinations of speaker, speaker cable, and amplifier might result in similar results. However, I am very happy, that with audiocircle’s help, and discussion with Louis's, Mark's, and Dave's help, I was able to put a system together, which such remarkable value and fun. I am very thankful to Louis (Owner of Omegaspeaker) who steered me to right direction!

doggie

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2017, 02:15 am »
This thread is about the Super Alnico HO speakers, so I was thinking my experience  with these fit here:

...Still waiting for the speaker, I read about the ZOTL amplifiers and how people are happy to combine the omega speakers with these type of amplifiers (note: I was thinking, that the harshness I hear, might come from a combination of the KEFQ900 and my Cyrus components) . Talked to Louis and Mark (LTA) and based on their recommendations, I ordered the ZOTL10. The Zotl10 arrived 2 weeks later and I used it directly with my KEFQ900 without pre-amp (the DAC went directly to the ZOTL10). I was surprised again how well 10W were driving the KEFQ900 speakers, which required 15W-200W. I noticed a general improvement with the new amplifier and the Zenwave speaker cable. Now all these new components had time to burn-in.

...Then Louis's speakers arrived in May. Beautifully finished (2 tone; front: "Real BirdsEye Maple” all other 5 sides in "Real Walnut”). Now after 3 month listening I can not be happier with my decision  (note: I also added the Micro Zotl 2.0 to my system)

I have a similar setup. Super Alnico HO floorstanders, LTA MZ2+ and Z10. This is a remarkable combination and seems like an end game for me.

Two suggestions. As soon as you can consider getting NOS tubes for the LTA equipment if you have not already. Second. Consider getting some Duelund wire for your speaker wire and if you are solder iron handy, make some interconnects. Wonderful synergy with the Omegas and LTA.

Ben1248

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2017, 01:55 am »
Thank you for the additional suggestions (note: many of your suggestions I read before  :); thank you). I do have the NOS tubes in MZ2+ but not in the Z10. Here I will follow up with Mark from LTA. About interconnects I was thinking to upgrade to D3 interconnects from Dave (Zenwave Audio) sometimes in Fall;  I will also take a look in Duelund wires too.

doggie

« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2017, 02:05 am »
Thank you for the additional suggestions (note: many of your suggestions I read before  :); thank you). I do have the NOS tubes in MZ2+ but not in the Z10. Here I will follow up with Mark from LTA. About interconnects I was thinking to upgrade to D3 interconnects from Dave (Zenwave Audio) sometimes in Fall;  I will also take a look in Duelund wires too.

Here is a link to Jeff Day's blog regarding the Duelund wire. He writes for Positive Feedback also...

http://jeffsplace.me

restrav

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2017, 02:10 am »
is general try to read Jeff day and do the exact opposite .... he is so full of shit, it is over flowing into his blog .... positive feedback alone couldnt handle the human waste that was coming out. That is why he was kicked out of 6moons. For evidence of my bold claims read his series of uninformative articles on overpriced acoustic revive accessories and ask the ones who bought them about the supposedly mind blowing improvements that their thousands have brought them and how fast the hype disappeared.

doggie

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2017, 02:27 am »
I can only speak for the synergy of using Duelund wire with Omega speakers based upon personal experience. I have no idea about Acoustic revive.

roscoe65

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2017, 11:28 am »
is general try to read Jeff day and do the exact opposite .... he is so full of shit, it is over flowing into his blog .... positive feedback alone couldnt handle the human waste that was coming out. That is why he was kicked out of 6moons. For evidence of my bold claims read his series of uninformative articles on overpriced acoustic revive accessories and ask the ones who bought them about the supposedly mind blowing improvements that their thousands have brought them and how fast the hype disappeared.

This is yet another of your posts that offer nothing but an ad hominem attack on other hobbyists.  It offers absolutely nothing productive and is a perfect example why so many people don't want to participate in this hobby.

syzygy

« Reply #10 on: 8 Aug 2017, 11:42 am »
y

restrav

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2017, 12:10 pm »
This is yet another of your posts that offer nothing but an ad hominem attack on other hobbyists.  It offers absolutely nothing productive and is a perfect example why so many people don't want to participate in this hobby.

Yes absolutely people don't sign up for this hobby because of calling out reviewers who are full if shit. but there is a small minority who doesn't sign up because they are tired of baseless claims and fanboyism

Anyway i first encountered acoustic revive cables when around summer 2011 an acquaintance in Tehran, Iran who had a pair of nautilus speakers and a pair of ridiculously heavy peak consult towers,  ordered some of their cables because of the hype and he swapped out his entry level chord speaker cables for them and the sound just lost some macro dynamics as a result. with the peak consult there was just no difference.  I told him that this is obviously  a less than ideal pairing which is totally on you but it also tells us that the many 9s this cable has extra does not do much for the sound, does it?

Any way Jeff days work is some of the most uninformative in this business rivaled only by Robert has Levi for writing the worst of the worst.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2017, 02:00 pm »
I have a similar setup. Super Alnico HO floorstanders, LTA MZ2+ and Z10. This is a remarkable combination and seems like an end game for me.

Two suggestions. As soon as you can consider getting NOS tubes for the LTA equipment if you have not already. Second. Consider getting some Duelund wire for your speaker wire and if you are solder iron handy, make some interconnects. Wonderful synergy with the Omegas and LTA.

Duelund wire is very colored. Maybe you like the color, which is fine, but it's a love/hate thing. I've never had such divided reactions to my Duelund interconnect cable, which is about to be discontinued because of those issues.

Anyways, I'd never make a blanket recommendation for Duelund wire, you need to be one of those people looking for a certain warmth in the sound and I prefer a more neutral sound that doesn't get in the way and overlay it's character over every recording. I can guarantee you a huge majority of folks would prefer my SL17 vs a SC made with Duelund wire of any kind.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2017, 02:01 pm »

He's not attacking a current poster and reviewers put themselves out there for criticism. Not a big deal imo.

roscoe65

« Reply #14 on: 8 Aug 2017, 04:25 pm »
There is a great difference between criticism, which is a considered evaluation of someone's position, and calling someone "so full of shit".  Saying that others should do the opposite of what another recommends is the epitome of an ad hominem attack.  If, on the other hand, we were to say that we don't agree with a reviewer's specific opinions and offer supporting arguments we now have a productive argument rather than throwing sh*t against the wall.

doggie

« Reply #15 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:26 pm »
Duelund wire is very colored. Maybe you like the color, which is fine, but it's a love/hate thing. I've never had such divided reactions to my Duelund interconnect cable, which is about to be discontinued because of those issues.

Anyways, I'd never make a blanket recommendation for Duelund wire, you need to be one of those people looking for a certain warmth in the sound and I prefer a more neutral sound that doesn't get in the way and overlay it's character over every recording. I can guarantee you a huge majority of folks would prefer my SL17 vs a SC made with Duelund wire of any kind.

I would say that cables are very system dependent. In my present system I find the Duelund to be very transparent and clean. I tried both your speaker cables and your IC's in a previous setup that I had and found them to be overly bright, not neutral. Perhaps in a system that is already warm they tend it toward neutral. "Neutral" is a moving target sort of like that old idea of "The Absolute Sound".

As a vendor I did find you to be service oriented and easy to work with. Your cables are also well made.

...However to be honest I find it a little tricky when you show up in a thread and promote your own cables.

doggie

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:33 pm »
Yes absolutely people don't sign up for this hobby because of calling out reviewers who are full if shit. but there is a small minority who doesn't sign up because they are tired of baseless claims and fanboyism

Anyway i first encountered acoustic revive cables when around summer 2011 an acquaintance in Tehran, Iran who had a pair of nautilus speakers and a pair of ridiculously heavy peak consult towers,  ordered some of their cables because of the hype and he swapped out his entry level chord speaker cables for them and the sound just lost some macro dynamics as a result. with the peak consult there was just no difference.  I told him that this is obviously  a less than ideal pairing which is totally on you but it also tells us that the many 9s this cable has extra does not do much for the sound, does it?

Any way Jeff days work is some of the most uninformative in this business rivaled only by Robert has Levi for writing the worst of the worst.

I think that what some of us might be thinking is that your original comment was just a crude personal attack without offering any real evidence or explanation or constructive information.

Jeff's reviews are strongly subjective and he makes no apologies for that. He even goes to great lengths to explain his biases, something a lot of "objective" reviewers seem to omit.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 8 Aug 2017, 09:46 pm »
I would say that it was very system dependent. I find the Duelund to be very transparent and clean. I tried both your speaker cables and your IC's in a previous setup that I had and found them to be bright, not neutral. Perhaps in a system that is already warm they tend it toward neutral. "Neutral" is a moving target sort of like that old idea of "The Absolute Sound. As a vendor I did find you to be service oriented and easy to work with. Your cables are also well made.

...However to be honest I find it a little tricky when you show up in a thread and promote your own cables.

While all systems are different, I have the advantage of hearing a lot of opinions and comparisons and what I said before is what I'll stick with. Duelund wire can sound great in some systems but not others, while all of my other cables have much less variability. Duelund wire is extremely colored, that's the reason. Maybe that color fits your system and personal preference, in which case that's great. But the coloration ultimately obscures detail and isn't truly high fidelity.

You specifically mentioned replacing my SL17 with Duelund cable, which I think is a really bad idea, so I have a right to say something. Also, this isn't the general forum, this is the Omega forum and I've talked with Louis about what he's ok with me posting. I tend to be fairly conservative about promoting myself, I wouldn't have said anything if you hadn't made what I feel is a questionable recommendation. And you might be the first person ever to characterize my cables as bright, which tells me your system is not balanced to begin with. I ONLY recommend Deulund cable to people with systems like yours but TBH they are few and far between which is why I'm discontinuing my use of Duelund wire.

I also totally disagree with neutral being a moving target. It's a relative comparison but there are concrete things you can listen for to determine neutrality such as the presence of fine detail in vocals and acoustic instruments, the quality of the soundstage and imaging, the ability of the system to reproduce spatial information in the recording, whether there is natural and realistic sounding tone/timbre and more. This is not a purely subjective evaluation, either detail is present or it is not. The quality of tonality leaves some room for subjective preference but comparison to live unamplified  music can be a good benchmark.

doggie

« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2017, 12:43 am »
While all systems are different, I have the advantage of hearing a lot of opinions and comparisons and what I said before is what I'll stick with. Duelund wire can sound great in some systems but not others, while all of my other cables have much less variability. Duelund wire is extremely colored, that's the reason. Maybe that color fits your system and personal preference, in which case that's great. But the coloration ultimately obscures detail and isn't truly high fidelity.

You specifically mentioned replacing my SL17 with Duelund cable, which I think is a really bad idea, so I have a right to say something. Also, this isn't the general forum, this is the Omega forum and I've talked with Louis about what he's ok with me posting. I tend to be fairly conservative about promoting myself, I wouldn't have said anything if you hadn't made what I feel is a questionable recommendation. And you might be the first person ever to characterize my cables as bright, which tells me your system is not balanced to begin with. I ONLY recommend Deulund cable to people with systems like yours but TBH they are few and far between which is why I'm discontinuing my use of Duelund wire.

I also totally disagree with neutral being a moving target. It's a relative comparison but there are concrete things you can listen for to determine neutrality such as the presence of fine detail in vocals and acoustic instruments, the quality of the soundstage and imaging, the ability of the system to reproduce spatial information in the recording, whether there is natural and realistic sounding tone/timbre and more. This is not a purely subjective evaluation, either detail is present or it is not. The quality of tonality leaves some room for subjective preference but comparison to live unamplified  music can be a good benchmark.

"I ONLY recommend Duelund cable to people with systems like yours but TBH they are few and far between which is why I'm discontinuing my use of Duelund wire."

Sorry. I thought that you were saying the opposite.

Glad to hear that you recommend Duelund for the Omega LTA combo.

We can certainly agree that "Duelund wire can sound great in some systems but not others" as that would be true of all cables ...perhaps, as you mention, in varying degree.

In my system Duelund definitely brings out "the presence of fine detail in vocals and acoustic instruments, the quality of the soundstage and imaging, the ability of the system to reproduce spatial information in the recording, whether there is natural and realistic sounding tone/timbre and more."

That is a perfect description of how my system sounds and why I mentioned it here in the Omega forum. I wanted to share this synergistic combination with others.

Sounds to me like we agree...

Louis O

« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2017, 01:41 am »
Hi All,

Tomorrow I will be posting a new CustomShop speaker that is pretty interesting.

Also the cable posts are very informative and would like to say that Jeff Day did right by me with a review early on when I started Omega. It was for a pair of Super 3 XRS's. He was very kind to review a product from a relatively new company back in 2004. I'm pretty sure he ended up buying them.

Thanks again,
Louis