BBC Licensed Speakers

joerest

BBC Licensed Speakers
« on: 30 Apr 2017, 04:23 pm »
Just heard the Graham LS5/8's at Chicago Axpona. Thought they were the best sound of the show. For $12K they blew away the big boys. Unfortunately when I got home and walked into my sound room, I realized they would not fit. Boo....hooo...hooooo..... My dream for over 40 years was to find the perfect 2 way. Guess I will stay with my old Shahinians.

joerest

Re: BBC Licensed Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2017, 06:44 pm »
Come on guys....Doesn't anybody have a warm spot in their hearts for the simplicity and sound of the vintage two-way ?  Think of the first line of the Mordaunt-Shorts....the Celestions, the Advents, the Boston Acoustics, A/R's, Snell....just to name a few. Unfortunately, I admit, I was a poor audio snob those days and a two-way was just too plain and simple for me. I sure missed the boat on that one. Instead of listening to music, I was too busy listening to the equipment. What was I thinking ?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2017, 10:06 pm »
I try not to get too excited about $12,000 speakers.

Had Boston Acoustics HD8s way back when; currently have ATC SCM 11v2s.
I'm tempted to try Harbeth, Spendor, etc. at times, but really enjoy the ATCs.

joerest

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2017, 08:11 pm »
Dear OB: I too like ATC, but could not believe how good the SCM50's were and how bad the SCM40's were at Axpona this year. I understand there is a big difference in price, but still hard to imagine they are both from the same MFG. Would love to hear the more affordable 2 ways from ATC like the 11's and the 19's. They never have them at shows, at least the shows I have been to lately. As far as $12K for a pair of speakers go, they are mid-priced today in the modern scheme of things. I have recently down sized my living space, and am looking for a speaker to match my much smaller sound room. I hoped the Graham LS5/9's would be the answer. No luck. They sounded nebulous and indistinct. The Harbeth Super HL5+ is a real possibility, but now break into the land of the 3 way speaker. The Harbeth 30.1's are not my cup of tea, but would love to hear the C7ES-3's. Has anyone heard this Harbeth model ?

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2017, 11:01 pm »
Dear OB: I too like ATC, but could not believe how good the SCM50's were and how bad the SCM40's were at Axpona this year. I understand there is a big difference in price, but still hard to imagine they are both from the same MFG. Would love to hear the more affordable 2 ways from ATC like the 11's and the 19's. They never have them at shows, at least the shows I have been to lately. As far as $12K for a pair of speakers go, they are mid-priced today in the modern scheme of things. I have recently down sized my living space, and am looking for a speaker to match my much smaller sound room. I hoped the Graham LS5/9's would be the answer. No luck. They sounded nebulous and indistinct. The Harbeth Super HL5+ is a real possibility, but now break into the land of the 3 way speaker. The Harbeth 30.1's are not my cup of tea, but would love to hear the C7ES-3's. Has anyone heard this Harbeth model ?
http://www.amphion.fi/en/products/argon3s/

I have the floor standing version of this, and it is terrific. Crystal clear, never harsh or overly bright, great midrange.

joerest

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2017, 04:32 am »
Thanks for the tip Randy. Will do some research and look into these.