TWL Does It Again!

tmazz

TWL Does It Again!
« on: 9 Mar 2017, 04:46 pm »
Sometime last year I found a good deal on a second Sunfire True Subwoofer Super Jr, and picked it up so I could have a pair of stereo subs instead of a single unit. It provided me with a nice improvement but at the time it did not have another TWL cord so I puller a PC from Signal Cable out of my spare stock and used that one. I had put that one on the first sub when I originally got it and remembered how much better it sounded when I upgraded it to a TWL cord and wanted to eventually do that with the second one as well. My problem was that I could not remember which TWL cord eventually made it to the sub and I needed to move the rack to be able to find the serial number on it so Pete could make me a matching one.  About a month ago I finally put aside to time to move what I needed to and got the serial number. Last weekend Pete called to tell me that the matching cord was ready and I could come pick it up.

For comparison purposes I plugged both cords into the same outlet so I could easily swap them out at the sub end and evaluate to the differences. I listened for a little while and then knelt down next to the sub to swap the cords. While the music was playing I put my hand on the top of the sub to steady it while I pulled out the old cord and plugged in the TWL and was shocked at what I found. Upon plugging in the TWL cord I could immediately notice the improvement, not with my ears, but rather with my fingers!!! AS soon as I plugged in the TWL cord I got a much clearer feeling of the notes. The rise times and decay were much qicker and I got a much better sense of the individal notes whereas with the Signal Cable the bass line was more of a flow between the notes as opposed to feeling each note in and of itself. I swapped the cords back and forth several times to make sure that this was actually related to the cords as opposed to just being a coincidental change in the music and got the same results each time.

Of course it is hard to tell what it sounds like when down at floor level behind the main speakers, but when I got back to the sweet spot I heard the same kind of sonic improvements that I felt with my hands (although it was not a big of an improvement as I got when I upgraded the first sub, since I had one sub TWL equipped either way), but it did fill in and balance that system nicely now that both subs are playing the same.

I found it very interesting that I could use senses other than hearing to detect the sonic improvements gained from using TWL cords. I guess when it's good, it's good, not matter how you see it.... or hear it.... or feel it.

Way to go Pete!  :thumb:

Triode Pete

Re: TWL Does It Again!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:00 am »
Thanks, tmazz! Glad you're enjoying your tunes!

Greg Takesh from GT Audio Works was shocked at the difference my power cords made on the powered bass portion for his ribbon loudspeakers. He was having issues with the bass keeping up with the panels... When he put a pair of "Ten Plus" on his powered bass amps, he was amazed at the speed & clarity improvement...

Cheers,
Pete

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2017, 12:45 am »
What are the PC models you are using in the comparison?

Triode Pete

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2017, 01:02 am »
What are the PC models you are using in the comparison?

Sometime last year I found a good deal on a second Sunfire True Subwoofer Super Jr, and picked it up so I could have a pair of stereo subs instead of a single unit. It provided me with a nice improvement but at the time it did not have another TWL cord so I puller a PC from Signal Cable out of my spare stock and used that one.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2017, 02:20 am »
Thanks, tmazz! Glad you're enjoying your tunes!

Greg Takesh from GT Audio Works was shocked at the difference my power cords made on the powered bass portion for his ribbon loudspeakers. He was having issues with the bass keeping up with the panels... When he put a pair of "Ten Plus" on his powered bass amps, he was amazed at the speed & clarity improvement...

Cheers,
Pete
Yup ...no denying it Pete...made a world of difference over the OEM cords on my GTA2's built in powered subs.
I recently had a bigger revelation at the home of my high end dealer with my current model GTA3R speaker.
He replaced his TWL power cords on his amps with your Silver Statement cords.
My immediate observation was a big increase in dynamics, bass articulation, bloom, and lowered noise floor.
It put the icing on the cake of his system.
Regards,
    Greg
      GTAW

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2017, 04:18 am »
SIGNAL CABLE Yeah I got that the first time.

I compared a Chevy to a Ford and I preferred a Chevy. Not too useful when both manufacturers sell more than one M O D E L ! ! !

tmazz

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2017, 06:03 am »
The Signal Cable cord was their Magic Power cord and it was replaced with a TWL Ten Plus.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2017, 02:48 pm »
The Signal Cable cord was their Magic Power cord and it was replaced with a TWL Ten Plus.

Thanks. Good to see the $75 cord was trounced by the $400 cord.

tmazz

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2017, 04:36 pm »
Thanks. Good to see the $75 cord was trounced by the $400 cord.

More correctly the $75 cord was trounced by a $400 cord that I on more than one occasion have heard trounce cords costing upwards of three times its price.

The point of my original post was not to say that the TWL cable was better than the Signal cable . but rather to express my surprise that before I even returned to my chair to listen to it I could feel the sharper resolution in the cabinet vibrations.

I bought the sub used and it did not come with a power cord so I pulled one from my unused stock. I bought the signal cable about 10 years ago and it was my first venture into upgraded power cords. While it was a definite upgrade form the computer monitor  type cables I had, it has long been bested by other cords, which is why it had been relegated to my unused stock in the first place. I grabbed it because it was handy, not for any sonic characteristics, knowing full well because of what I went through with the first sub that  ordering a TWL cable for it would be a no brainer. I was simply writing about my experience in swapping in the TWL cord, not my decision to buy one.

dflee

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2017, 11:40 pm »
What would be scarier would be if there wasn't a big difference between the two.
The fact that the TWL did trounce the Signal shows that the TWL has a reason for
the extra scratch. Would love to have more TWL product but "All you need is love"
won't cover the bill.
I have enjoyed reading this Subject thus far.

Don