Reel to Reel

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: Reel to Reel
« Reply #20 on: 3 Feb 2017, 02:43 pm »
Since we are now posting RTR eye candy, my trusted Studer A810.

Nice!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #21 on: 3 Feb 2017, 06:21 pm »
Since we are now posting RTR eye candy, my trusted Studer A810.

Eye candy indeed, and Studer makes such great stuff; it seems all their studio gear, from cassette recorders to CD players and monitor speakers, is made in a cost-no-object way with ultimate function the top priority and looking beautiful almost accidentally, especially to a tech head.
The A810 does look intimidatingly complex, though, when it comes to maintenance and servicing: http://analogrules.com/a810.html

If I could afford to play with RTR for fun, I would seek the Revox or Studer G36; both the ultimate refinement of their vacuum tube models. Both are known to have soft heads, though.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #22 on: 3 Feb 2017, 08:31 pm »

[hurdy_gurdyman, nice equipment (never thought I would say that to guy). I have heard lot's of good things about the Teac machines. Never knew Realistic had their hand in so many things..
Also good to hear that you are getting excellent sound too. I'm hoping to do that as well.

Maybe we are on the wave of a comeback for RtR. I'm seeing some on TV.

Thanks everyone!
[/quote]The Realistic is Actually a customized TEAC X300/X3000 built to Radio Shack's specs.

Dave

Bob2

« Reply #23 on: 6 Feb 2017, 03:21 pm »

My new to me toy. Fully serviced, new belts, brakes, lube 3 months ago. Packed in original box with manual and Original Sony sales brochure. That says "Open reel".
Came with 7 unopened Maxell UD 35-180 10.5 tapes and 2 pre recorded tapes. Wired remote in unopened sealed bag and adapters and spacers
Can't find a scratch or any signs of use.
Checked the heads as Russell suggested. Look as new.
Setup and played one of the tapes and it sounds very good. Recorded some guitar and sounds very good.

Also picked up this Pioneer SA-8500 Silver Era amp in as new condition. Original box and manual.

dminches

« Reply #24 on: 6 Feb 2017, 03:45 pm »
Very nice Bob.  Both units look to be in tip top shape.

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #25 on: 6 Feb 2017, 06:26 pm »
I really miss the age of silver components. Silver or gold was just more elegant than black.  :( I had a Pioneer amp similar to that but a smaller wattage. Great sound.
Nice tape recorder.

Dave

Bob2

« Reply #26 on: 7 Feb 2017, 09:33 pm »
dminches, hurdy_gurdyman.
Thanks guys!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #27 on: 7 Feb 2017, 10:08 pm »
Congratulations, Bob2, that looks like a great score.

Bob2

« Reply #28 on: 8 Feb 2017, 01:04 am »
Thanks Russell!
Thanks again for the advice!