Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controls

Triode Pete

Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controls
« on: 16 Jan 2017, 03:59 pm »
Dave Slagle (from Intact Audio... http://www.intactaudio.com/atten.html) was kind enough to provide my a pair of his prototype latest & greatest Autoformer volume controls (see some details here... http://hifiheroin.blogspot.com), which I had installed (by tube guru & fabricator John Wiesner) on my Loesch & Wiesner preamp (line & phono stage).

This isn't your everyday circuit board but one made with .9999 silver and the traces are cut on a CNC milling machine.

Can you say "Transparency"? WOW! Never thought replacing my high quality Japanese-made ALPS volume pots with these heavy transformer-based volume controls would make such an improvement!

Some pics...

Kudos to the Slaglemeister! Well done!

Cheers,
Pete

goskers

Re: Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controls
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2017, 05:03 pm »
I was able to hear the copper vs silver autoformers in a LIO not too long ago.  The difference was not a subtle one imho.  It was enough for me to upgrade my unit to silver.  The copper is outstanding.  The silver is that last bit for those looking for it all. 

Highly recommend Dave's autoformers.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2017, 05:46 pm »
Agreed! Love Slagle's magic  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

Cappy

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2017, 06:11 pm »
Nice looking preamp, Pete. (I bet it sounds pretty good too).

Are the manly knobs for the Slagleformers something that is generally available? 

Triode Pete

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2017, 06:19 pm »
Nice looking preamp, Pete. (I bet it sounds pretty good too).

Are the manly knobs for the Slagleformers something that is generally available?

Hey Cappy,
Those are the original Loesch & Wiesner control knobs installed by John Wiesner. When John removed the old ALPS pots, he retrofitted the existing knobs onto the Slagle autoformers.

If interested, I can ask John Wiesner where he procured the knobs.

Cheers,
Pete