Norway First Country To Abandon FM Broadcasting

dB Cooper

Norway First Country To Abandon FM Broadcasting
« on: 7 Jan 2017, 04:56 am »
Couldn't figure out where to put this so here it is. Admins, move as necessary.

FM broadcasting ends in Norway next week and other countries are reportedly watching to see how it goes.

Judging my the near-total absence of discussion of FM and FM receiving equipment on forums such as this one (there isn't even a circle for it), maybe it won't be missed all that much.

Enjoy your tuna while you can, I guess.

https://financialtribune.com/articles/economy-sci-tech/56931/norway-to-kill-fm-radio-despite-strong-opposition

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Norway First Country To Abandon FM Broadcasting
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2017, 06:13 am »
They are moving to a digital signal and equiptment.  http://www.worlddab.org. At my first read this isn't the lame satellite stuff.

I will need more time to read read all the facts.  Most of the new cars I. The USA can recive a digital fm station and it is much better then fm. 

I can also guess it is a opening for more bandwith for all the baby monitors and thermostats cloding the air waves.

One again I didnt read word for word......  But it was on the internet so its got to  be true :thumb:

Alan

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2017, 07:21 am »
Thanks for the heads up. I guess AM may be the last survivor of the terrestrial RF broadcast formats! Who'd have guessed?

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2017, 02:17 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. I guess AM may be the last survivor of the terrestrial RF broadcast formats! Who'd have guessed?

It does make some sense.  There is a big demand for the FM band for other uses, but not so much for AM.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2017, 05:37 pm »
Time to warm up the tubes in my old Sherwood tuner.
Nertz to Norway's parliament!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2017, 07:29 pm »
A lot of FM stations in the US have added digital broadcast capabilities alongside their FM broadcasts.

The Clarion head unit in my car has the ability to receive both FM and digital signals. However, it doesn't separate them very well so there is a lot more interference than with the non-digital Pioneer and JBL head units in my other vehicles. More improvement is definately needed.

I don't expect the U.S. to do away with FM until the majority of car radios on the road have digital reception capabilities. Of course, I could be wrong.

Mike