Fostex Massdrop TH-X00

santacore

Re: Fostex Massdrop TH-X00
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2016, 05:12 pm »
It's a phenomenal deal. A good friend in the industry who has ears I trust, said he liked these slightly more then the TH900's. I ordered a pair shortly thereafter. The purple wood on this newest "drop" looks pretty sweet too.

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:43 am »
Hi,

Thanks for the responses.  So you already have a pair of Foster TH-X00 from a previous drop with Massdrop?

I'm after a pair of high quality headphones for a reasonable price.  I already have a pair of Mr Speakers Mad dogs  and Sennheiser HD650's.  Happy with both but I want to go to the next level.

Cheers Rod

santacore

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:54 am »
Rod,

I bought into the last drop at the end of January. Allegedly they start shipping the phones in early May.

Based on what you have, these should be a step up, at a reasonable price.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2016, 06:32 am »
I'm amazed at how many of those (and how fast) they are selling...

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2016, 07:56 am »
Hi John,

Yes the rate of adopters surprised me as well.  It must be a pretty good headphone.  Hope your well.

Cheers Rod

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:09 pm »
How do these compare to the TH-900?

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:35 pm »
They are better compared to the TH600.  They have done work on a number of areas
that critics pointed out in that model.  Whether they are "as good as" the TH900 is
something that can only be determined individually.  The 900 has a more premium
finish and at the price differential should be better.
regards,
Hibuck....

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:47 pm »
They are better compared to the TH600.  They have done work on a number of areas
that critics pointed out in that model.  Whether they are "as good as" the TH900 is
something that can only be determined individually.  The 900 has a more premium
finish and at the price differential should be better.
regards,
Hibuck....
OK, thanks.  I really like the TH-900 and if these were comparable to them I'd grab a pair. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2016, 01:49 pm »
Good review here.

orientalexpress

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2016, 02:13 pm »
i heard alot good thing about,i jump in the last drop in January ,the shipping should be in may  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2016, 08:18 pm »
I just joined the drop.   :green:

funkmonkey

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2016, 08:23 pm »
I jumped on the first drop of the TH-X00 as a christmas present for myself.  Absolutely love them  :thumb:
 The purple heart version sounds very interesting, slight boost to bass and treble by the description...  could be good, but perhaps a more "flavored" sound, the mahogany ones are fairly neutral.  I would say if you have the money, grab a pair.  If they are not a significant improvement I would think you will have no problem selling them (perhaps for even more than your purchase price).  Check the used market on the TH-X00...  hope that helps.  Cheers

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 29 Mar 2016, 08:12 am »
Hi John,

Yes the rate of adopters surprised me as well.  It must be a pretty good headphone.  Hope your well.

Cheers Rod

Hi Rod, the rate has slowed down a bit but still. 1000 headphones sold just like that!

Hey I'll send you a PM.

Rocket

« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2016, 03:14 am »
Hi Guys,

Okay i just signed up for this drop.  I'm going to sell my Mr Speakers Mad Dogs and Sennheiser HD650's to help pay for these headphones.  I have until August to save up for them though.

I'm hoping they sound great and will be the last pair of high end headphones I purchase (famous last words).

Cheers Rod

JohnR

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2016, 04:50 am »
Hi Guys,

I received my headphones yesterday and have been giving them some time to run in.  First impression is they are quite detailed and perhaps more so than my Sennheiser HD650's when using with the Objective 02 headphone amplifier.  I think the sound is fine but I think that perhaps the 02 is holding these headphones back?

I have a balanced cable that I can use with the HD650's and use them with my Red Wine Audio Isabella preamplifier which has a headphone amplifier on board.  The sound is another level better when using the HD650's with the Isabella preamplifier.

I'm feeling slightly let down at this stage but understand that a better quality source and headphone amplifier will improve sound quality.  The build and quality of finish is very good imo.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know my opinion regarding these headphones.

Cheers Rod

weatherman1

« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2016, 05:18 am »
If you just got them perhaps they need some hours on the cones to break-in.  Plug them into something and let them play a variety of musical styles at differing volume for a few days and then give them a listen.  If you still don't care for the sound or it doesn't live up to the hype.....sell.  I have yet to find the perfect sounding headphone or earspeaker but I'm still listening, selling, and buying.  My first headphones were WW II Army Aviation I got from my dad (mono).

Rocket

« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2016, 08:04 am »
Hi,

Yes of course that is an option I can consider.  I think that perhaps the THX are so high in quality that they need a better source and amplifier.  I also tried my AIAIAI Young Gurus in for comparison and the Fostex are definitely more detailed. 

Anyway early days.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2016, 01:05 pm »
Hi Guys,

Just an updated as I had my Objective 02 upgraded by AGDR Audio and the result is greatly improved sound quality using the Massdrop Fostex headphones.  Thoroughly enjoying their sound now.  No need to upgrade in the future.

Cheers Rod