Are my speakers too good?

charmerci

Re: Are my speakers too good?
« Reply #60 on: 6 Jan 2016, 08:39 pm »
If you can tape over the 5V pin on your USB cable and get away with it on your DAC, I think doing so and using the Jitterbug will accomplish just about everything you can given your budget - as far as addressing the weaknesses of your source laptop goes.

I'll try that.

If you can solder, consider dampening the CMC on the SurgeX, it might remove the harsh sound.

Nope, can't. Don't have soldering equipment.

charmerci

« Reply #61 on: 7 Jan 2016, 08:47 pm »
If you can tape over the 5V pin on your USB cable and get away with it on your DAC, I think doing so and using the Jitterbug will accomplish just about everything you can given your budget - as far as addressing the weaknesses of your source laptop goes.

I tried taping it but the problem is that I have to use a MUSE USB DAC Sound Card/Optical Coaxial Decoder/USB to S/PDIF Converter to hook up to my coax DAC and it needs the USB power.

I received the Jitterbug - and well, it's OK. It didn't make huge changes. It seems to smooth out the overall sound somewhat but on some recordings, it makes the sound seem harsher - but that is most likely because of slightly more clarity. I noticed on one Janis Ian recording that the electric bass sounds a little bit more like someone plucking the strings.

I really now think the next step(s) is the IC's. Right now, it's the Straightwire/Schiit Pyst usb>Muse>Soundsilver> DAC>Kabeldirect>pre>Pyst>amp/speakers.

« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2018, 06:18 pm by charmerci »

charmerci

« Reply #62 on: 9 Apr 2018, 06:23 pm »
Since I've linked this today and I see that other people have read this, I'm updating it.

The IC's that I am using now are Grover Huffman EX+>Jitterbug/USB Regen Uptone/MuseUSB to S/PDIF Converter>Morrow MA-1>DAC>GH EX+>preamp>GH EX+>amp/speakers.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #63 on: 9 Apr 2018, 06:35 pm »
How about an updated pic of your system and updated Listening impressions? It’s been whatt, 2+ years?

Best,
Anand.

charmerci

« Reply #64 on: 9 Apr 2018, 06:49 pm »
How about an updated pic of your system and updated Listening impressions? It’s been whatt, 2+ years?

Best,
Anand.

:o  Right now, my stereo system office is an absolute mess! No pics for now!  :lol: 

hmm, I'll have to listen to it with an overall description in mind.

GRACE RUBY

« Reply #65 on: 26 Jan 2019, 01:05 am »
Hi There

Based what i am seeing in your first picture and what your saying about your office
I would scrub any and all further purchases of more computer "Laboratory" fixes and deal with the room,
This is a wonderful speaker company, and the revelator a gorgeous famous speaker, rear firing into a room such as you have in picture,,,,, right side pic shelves are just gonna freak out the left side back wall waves, if i was called into do something about the bass i would refuse the job, cause to fix it would be a hatchet job on the over all system, as well computers and mega buck  servers * are fun, but as posted here before and else where never have them connected to a real rig, and/or one with a ribbon except for fun, as they create come and go anomalies into infinity.

* Especially with racket producing small LED picture screens which will weird out your mids and up

GR

charmerci

« Reply #66 on: 26 Jan 2019, 01:36 pm »

Based what i am seeing in your first picture and what your saying about your office
I would scrub any and all further purchases of more computer "Laboratory" fixes and deal with the room,

GR

That first photo is no longer relevant. You are of course, mostly right - because the electronics and speakers could be better but again at a much higher cost. So much of it IS the room.

Cheers.

NaDs

« Reply #67 on: 3 Mar 2019, 12:31 am »
I've been having similar issues with my Philharmonic BMRs. For me it definitely is the room. My living room is large, open with hardwood floors and 9ft ceilings. The RAAL tweeter's wide dispersion is putting too much high end energy in every direction, it's a bit of a treble overload despite being +\- 2db on and off axis. I took my entire setup upstairs and the change was incredible. The wide dispersion from the raal did some serious magic in the less reflective room. All of a sudden the sound was extending well beyond the speakers, the tonality was perfectly neutral. Not warm or cold. Many of the unlistenable songs were dead neutral, and I couldn't imagine them sounding better. Probably one of the best speakers I've ever heard. I am treble sensitive and so it was still too much for me, but the contrast was stark. I don't think neutral wide dispersion speakers do well in a reflective room. I dragged a bunch of my other "normal" dispersion speakers into the same room and the change in sound was much much smaller.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #68 on: 3 Mar 2019, 11:55 am »
deleted