Re: Lets see your O.B. speakers....!
« Reply #303 on: 6 Jul 2017, 05:42 pm »
ebag4, If those sound as good as they look, they must sound fabulous! :thumb:

Agree 100%. Beautiful craftsmanship.

charles

ebag4

« Reply #304 on: 6 Jul 2017, 06:19 pm »
Thanks guys.  They are sounding good with a noticeable improvement after ~20 hours or so, they only have about 25 hrs on them now.  I am still adjusting the bass, so far just by ear.  Another NX Otica MTM owner mentioned he felt they were at their best after 200 hrs.

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to the much too long build thread  :lol::
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=146187.0

Best,
Ed

Edit: The speakers bloomed just after 50 hrs, I am a very happy camper!
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2017, 02:20 am by ebag4 »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #305 on: 6 Jul 2017, 09:56 pm »
Ed,

As I mentioned in the other thread, absolutely gorgeous  :thumb:

With the Platinum by-pass caps they take awhile to break in. Also, once you get the No-Rez in you will notice a difference.

Using REW to set mine up at the Lone Star Audio Fest took the integration to a new level for me. $80 for a mic, $30 for a mic stand, free software, a bit of a learning curve for the software (not bad though, very easy to follow documentation), and about 4 hours of taking measurements and making adjustments was all it took.

Mike

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #306 on: 7 Jul 2017, 01:10 am »
Ed, as usual youve knocked it out of the park again.
Absolutely gorgeous.....not much more I can say.

I hope you have many hours of listening bliss.... :thumb:

Perry

BenjaminWebber

« Reply #307 on: 8 Jul 2017, 04:18 am »
I am just trying to get a feel for the 12 LTA by itself for now.  I plan to construct an OB using the 12 LTA for mids, a helper driver for bass (probably an Eminence 15 Alpha) and a tweeter (probably an Eminence ASD 1001).  I am open to suggestions.  I don't know if this would be the best thread to ask questions on?

Benjamin

BenjaminWebber

« Reply #308 on: 8 Jul 2017, 04:24 am »

Hopefully the image will appear this time.

BenjaminWebber

« Reply #309 on: 8 Jul 2017, 05:18 am »
I excised the dust cover and inserted some wooden eggs from Hobby Lobby a la Poultrygiest.  I am impressed with the driver.  The 12 LTA's are getting better the more I play them.  I continue to move them around.  They are sensitive enough to play more than loud enough in my 16 x 14 x 8 foot room with my 45 SET amps.  The amps probably are about 2 WATTs at most.  I inserted the BSC I made for my Fostex 166/Voigt Pipes for awhile.  They were still plenty loud.  I have debated whether to build an H-Frame or just put all three drivers on a larger baffle.  The larger baffle would look better, but I am thinking of the H-Frame again because it would allow me to try other wide rangers with ease in the future should I decide to do so. 

The current baffles are made from a discarded bed headboard that is 1/2" MDF with a face that looks like real wood.  I have access to both 3/4" MDF and Baltic Birch up to 3/4".  I wonder about 1/2" MDF with 1/2 BB glued on the outside?  I see that some run the 12 LTA full range while others get out of it at 4K or so.  I followed a schematic on the internet to build the BSC for my first speaker, the V Pipes.  I have used a coil in series with my Fostex 208's in a BIB and different caps in series with my BIB's tweeter.  But, I may need some hand holding if I try to just have the LTA do what it is best at.  I can start out with it full range to start.  I considered the BSC in my Pipes mandatory for a long time, but once the drivers got really broke in (or my ears) I preferred it direct to the amp.  I ran a Fostex T90A super tweeter in my BIB's.  In the end I decided I could live just as well or better without it.  The LTA's do seem to need help at the very top more than the 208's, but I wonder if I will end up feeling the same way about the LTA's once I get tweeters?  I guess the best way to know is to try it.

I have a Cary Audio Rocket 88 just sitting on a shelf.  I could use it to power an alpha on each side with a big coil.  However, a couple of coils would cost nearly as much as a 100W plate amp.  I am inclined to pair the alpha's with a plate amp (or a couple of them?) since my experience with a Sonic Impact amp was quick tuneful bass.  The Cary went deeper, but it was more slow.  I could even sell the Cary to cover the cost of the rest of the project, although it would be nice to have in case I ever decide to move away from 2 watts.  Don't know if I should go with Dayton, Yung or Bash?  Or, a used Crown or something? 

It may be awhile before I can complete the project.  I am having lots of fun in the meantime!  I tried Xlbaffle, but was not able to figure much out, other than bigger baffle equals more bass, which I already knew.  I came up with an oval with the driver way at one end using the Edge by Tovlan.  I had to lope it off at the bottom to attach something on the back to hold it up.  I did incorporate a tilt.     

ebag4

« Reply #310 on: 8 Jul 2017, 04:20 pm »
Benjamin, nice space, I love the diffuser and your setup, thanks for sharing.  With regard to one of your questions, I have used flat baffle, modified U frame and H frame, I have a preference for servos in a H frame, however the flat baffle setups I have heard were not servo systems.

I would recommend starting a separate thread, I believe you would get a wider audience and more responses.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #311 on: 8 Jul 2017, 07:25 pm »
Ed,

As I mentioned in the other thread, absolutely gorgeous  :thumb:

With the Platinum by-pass caps they take awhile to break in. Also, once you get the No-Rez in you will notice a difference.

Using REW to set mine up at the Lone Star Audio Fest took the integration to a new level for me. $80 for a mic, $30 for a mic stand, free software, a bit of a learning curve for the software (not bad though, very easy to follow documentation), and about 4 hours of taking measurements and making adjustments was all it took.

Mike

Thanks Mike.  Yes, the platinum's do take a long time to break in.  I pulled out my Folsom amp today to help with break in (it sounds really great), this keeps me from using up hours on my Elrog 300Bs while not listening to the system.

I hope to get REW going once burn in is complete. BTW, I went ahead and installed the No Rex on the interior wall, it did impact the sound positively although it was tough to take sandpaper to the completed finish :lol:.

Ed, as usual youve knocked it out of the park again.
Absolutely gorgeous.....not much more I can say.

I hope you have many hours of listening bliss.... :thumb:

Perry
Thanks Perry.  I learned a lot about finishing on this build.  We will see how long I go before getting the itch to build another pair of speakers  :duh:.

Best,
Ed

BenjaminWebber

« Reply #312 on: 9 Jul 2017, 01:03 am »
Thank you Ed,  Your speakers are gorgeous!!!!

Benjamin

ebag4

« Reply #313 on: 19 Jul 2017, 01:24 am »

Ron, I know you had the Vinnie Rossi LIO for a bit, did the LIO and the NX Oticas ever cross paths?  If so, what did you think of the NX Otica VR amp combo?

Best,
Ed

Edit: Looking closer at the pic, is that a LIO on your rack now?

Bumpy

« Reply #314 on: 1 Aug 2017, 07:30 am »
Here is an early picture of my OB speakers. The system itself has changed a lot since then.

I cannot take credit for building the speakers.

oldnuke

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #315 on: 7 Aug 2017, 04:04 am »
Near field setup.

Bumpy

« Reply #316 on: 8 Aug 2017, 06:57 pm »
Near field setup.

Oh yes. We have space constraints, but it works just fine :)

Poultrygeist

« Reply #317 on: 15 Sep 2017, 11:49 am »
My Zenith Eclipse OB's

tdogzthmn

« Reply #318 on: 23 Sep 2017, 12:37 am »
Made some quick and dirty OB speakers with the GRS 8" Fullrange.  They are just starting to break in but I've always been surprised by this cheap drivers ability.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #319 on: 26 Sep 2017, 11:39 am »
I felt I needed a bit more tweeter air for the Zenith/Alpha H-frames so I added rear firing RS 40-1310's. The Eminence ASD 1001 are fine OB tweets but with the addition of RS super tweeters I'm getting a very seductive 3D effect with wonderful cymbal shimmer. Brushed high hats and drums are in the room.