Monoprice 10533 Speakers

innocent bystander

Monoprice 10533 Speakers
« on: 20 Aug 2014, 04:43 pm »
Anyone have these?  They look eerily similar to the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR speakers.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=10533&seq=1&format=2#reviewInfo

innocent bystander

Re: Monoprice 10533 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2014, 03:54 pm »
I compared the cabinet dimensions to the SP-BS21-LR speakers on my desk, and they appear to be almost exactly the same size.  I also see that they are offering a 5.25" inch version for 10 more clams.  I may have to pull the trigger on these and do a Folger's blind taste on them versus the Pioneers.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2014, 05:42 pm »
I do like the fact that the larger 5.25" model has +2dB greater sensitivity.

What I don't like is that while other speaker manufacturers are chamfering or rounding baffle edges, both of these models have done the opposite with built-in diffraction wings - clearly a case where form supercedes function.

Steve

zieglj01

• AV Trekker
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2014, 08:44 pm »
I would not expect a whole lot out of these Monoprice speakers.

Also, wonder if there is much of a crossover network in them - and cabinet damping material.

Also while a speaker may have a sensitivity that looks decent - it may not be real efficient,
due to impedance swings/dips.

Bostown

• BASS CLUB [Boston Audio Stereo & Social Club]
    • Second Time Sound - Audio Gear Re-Purposed
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2014, 04:11 pm »
I would not expect a whole lot out of these Monoprice speakers.

Also, wonder if there is much of a crossover network in them - and cabinet damping material.

Also while a speaker may have a sensitivity that looks decent - it may not be real efficient,
due to impedance swings/dips.

I'm sure Monoprice isn't having any issue selling them, nor will they lose any sleep over hobbyist who want to put their speakers under the microscope to unearth any negatives that he or she deems inferior or improper in the design, build and end performance. ( not saying that is what you're doing, I'm speaking in general).

You may be right but as long as the end user is happy with how they sound, it's all good.