Jungson and other (chinese) cd players??

RCduck7

Jungson and other (chinese) cd players??
« on: 16 Dec 2009, 09:10 pm »
i'm not sure in what message board this fits but some do have tubes inside...

I'm very tempted to buy this nice Jungson Impression CD player.
http://www.jungson.com/impressionII
Anyone auditioned and/or compared them to other cd players at or under that price category?
People rave about BADA, CEC and Esound cd players, i can't find much info on Jungson CD players, but maybe an undicoverd gem for most?
Is the Jungson fine built for a good sound or are there better designs under that price?
I found this rather somewhat negative post..
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/jungson-impression-cd-player-weighs-35kg-186831/

starkiller

Re: Jungson and other (chinese) cd players??
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2009, 12:33 am »
Can't tell you about the Jungson but I sure do love my Raysonic!!  Superb sound, much better then the modded Jolida i use to have.

RCduck7

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2009, 04:23 pm »
Thanks starkiller, a dealer i contacted doesn't have the Raysonic but from all the CD players he had the best performance from the MHZS CD players he says.
And i found good feedback on forums of this brand to.
I will look a bit more closely into Raysonic though.
But many times i have been told that my Xindak DAC 8 would be hard to beat.
Many advise to just pick out a CD transport, as long as it's better then a cheap dvd player.
Since i propably will buy an Emotiva surround processor for my movie duty's i'm thinking an Emotive ERC-1 CD player would sit on top of it nicely, it's not expensive also.
So propably i'm going for Emotiva ERC-1 cd player as a transport.
But i shall try and test it side by side with my Xindak DA8, you'll never know what comes out on top.

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2009, 04:43 pm »
my main concern about buying Chinese electronics is the ablility to get replacement parts. They seem to change looks and layout about every year and I wonder if I could access a replacment laser, logic board, transformer, etc.

iGrant

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2009, 11:25 pm »
If it is made by Jungson and has tubes it is sold in NA under the Grant Fidelity brand, in this case it is the GF CD-1000. Product info is here:

http://grantfidelity.com/site/catalog/51/cd_players_dac__tube_solid_state

StereoMojo review is here:

http://www.stereomojo.com/GRANTFIDELITYCD1000REVIEW.htm/GRANTFIDELITYCD1000REVIEW.htm

Cheers,
Ian

gerald porzio

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2009, 12:38 am »
As noted elsewhere, the lack of factory support is a given w/ most Sino CDPs. Someone observed that the Chinese seem to think that if one can afford this hobby, one simply cuts one's losses & purchases a new CDP. Such is the inscrutable wisdom of the Orient.

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2009, 12:57 am »
I'll second the Raysonic recommendation. I love my 128. Closest I have heard to analog.

D

RCduck7

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2009, 11:57 pm »
I'ts bin sometime now i'm looking for a cd player and i think i'm close to a conclusion on what to buy.
I had the chance to audition a mhzs CD88E player at my home and was impressed with it's weight and musicality to the sound compared to my to civilised Xindak DAC-8.
And from some thrustworthy sources it was better then a shanling cd 100se and a AH! njoe tjoeb (marantz tubed cd player) in a test that was performed on a forum in holland.
A (easy) modded MHZS will improve things up a notch but i think i'll pass on the mhzs players.
Yes, i'm sure the Mhzs players are one of the best budget/quality players around, especially modded but...
I have read to many great reviews and and positive comments on the Raysonic players that i will be baffled if it won't make a big difference on the sources i have heard now.
From what i read it should be the sound i'm looking for, plus they look stunning (not that a mhzs 88G looks bad though)
I'm not completely certain but i think i will go for the Raysonic CD168. aa
In black or silver??

Here's a review of the mhzs..

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=digital&m=129692

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2009, 12:34 am »
I'ts bin sometime now i'm looking for a cd player and i think i'm close to a conclusion on what to buy.
I had the chance to audition a mhzs CD88E player at my home and was impressed with it's weight and musicality to the sound compared to my to civilised Xindak DAC-8.
And from some thrustworthy sources it was better then a shanling cd 100se and a AH! njoe tjoeb (marantz tubed cd player) in a test that was performed on a forum in holland.
A (easy) modded MHZS will improve things up a notch but i think i'll pass on the mhzs players.
Yes, i'm sure the Mhzs players are one of the best budget/quality players around, especially modded but...
I have read to many great reviews and and positive comments on the Raysonic players that i will be baffled if it won't make a big difference on the sources i have heard now.
From what i read it should be the sound i'm looking for, plus they look stunning (not that a mhzs 88G looks bad though)
I'm not completely certain but i think i will go for the Raysonic CD168. aa
In black or silver??
Here's a review of the mhzs..
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=digital&m=129692
Nice look, it is a SACD player too?   The top loading machines have a better stability and tracking, cause there is no drawer to vibrate with the motor rpm.

RCduck7

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2010, 10:52 pm »
No sacd player fullrangerman..

I have been reading a few reviews on the raysonics and i think i might stretch my wallet a bit more for the CD 228 with it's seperate power supply.
But i also read in the 6moons review that for a cd player of that caliber it is questionabe nowadays that they don't offer any kind of digital input on the player.
That way you can also use the cd player as a DAC with music files and other digital devices.
The people of Raysonic understood this and they will add it in the future but hopefully not only usb input.

* About the USB input, we will add it in the future. All our CD players have different design concepts and use different materials. The CD128 can read HDCD, the CD138 uses the CS4398 DAC and only its RCA output runs through the tube buffer while the balanced output uses transistors. The CD168 runs two DACs, on the CD228 both RCA and XLR outputs run through four Russian 6922EH Gold  tubes. The CD238 has a different look and its RCA output uses 6922EH Gold vacuum tubes.
The review...

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/raysonic6/228.html

As for SACD playback in 2 channel i think it would be great if you could use an SACD source as a transport on this player if it accepts inputs.
I will hold back for now in giving in to buy and will contact Raysonic if they have any concrete plans for this.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2010, 02:41 am »
No sacd player fullrangerman..

I have been reading a few reviews on the raysonics and i think i might stretch my wallet a bit more for the CD 228 with it's seperate power supply.
But i also read in the 6moons review that for a cd player of that caliber it is questionabe nowadays that they don't offer any kind of digital input on the player.
That way you can also use the cd player as a DAC with music files and other digital devices.
The people of Raysonic understood this and they will add it in the future but hopefully not only usb input.

* About the USB input, we will add it in the future. All our CD players have different design concepts and use different materials. The CD128 can read HDCD, the CD138 uses the CS4398 DAC and only its RCA output runs through the tube buffer while the balanced output uses transistors. The CD168 runs two DACs, on the CD228 both RCA and XLR outputs run through four Russian 6922EH Gold  tubes. The CD238 has a different look and its RCA output uses 6922EH Gold vacuum tubes.
The review...

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/raysonic6/228.html

As for SACD playback in 2 channel i think it would be great if you could use an SACD source as a transport on this player if it accepts inputs.
I will hold back for now in giving in to buy and will contact Raysonic if they have any concrete plans for this.
Comes to mind the PrimaLuna CD player, one digital DAC input could add great value to this player.
As it have a cd upsampler to 24/192khz.

doorman

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2010, 02:49 am »
You might also check out  http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZCD.htm
It's one fine player, supported by a company with excellent customer service.
Best, Don

RCduck7

« Reply #12 on: 2 Jan 2010, 06:42 pm »
Thanks, for the info but my last post is no request to find cd players that support digital inputs. But it's nice to have digital inputs on more cd players though.
Would any cd player, including Raysonic cd players be easely modded to have digital inputs?