Isolation of Audio Rack from Tile Floor

mav52

Isolation of Audio Rack from Tile Floor
« on: 13 Mar 2016, 03:38 pm »
I have a rather heavy solid Maple rack for my components and was wondering if I isolate or decouple the rack from the tile floor ( a concrete slab is under the tile) if I would hear any improvement. Right now it s maple legs setting right on the tile.

Also my speakers are on metal stands with spikes that are spiking through 1/2 wool carpet to the tile floor.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Isolation of Audio Rack from Tile Floor
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2016, 03:44 pm »
Though isolation of each of the rack components individually is always most essential, addressing the rack/floor interface always has potential for sonic improvement of the system. Likewise, isolating the speaker to stand interface and stand/floor interface is highly beneficial.

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

mav52

Re: Isolation of Audio Rack from Tile Floor
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2016, 05:57 pm »
Though isolation of each of the rack components individually is always most essential, addressing the rack/floor interface always has potential for sonic improvement of the system. Likewise, isolating the speaker to stand interface and stand/floor interface is highly beneficial.

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

I'm using the Herbie Square dots between the speaker and the stand.    I was after the stand from the tile floor and the Audio rack which has massive wooden maple legs from the tile floor if either would have any benefit.  I think the audio racks wooden maple legs is isolating the rack from the floor but I'm not sure about the speaker stand.  I need to dig out my accelerometer/vibration tester and attach the magnetic sensor to the metal stand at the metal speaker stand base and see if any vibrations are noted and then use the probes of the meter to the base of the audio rack and see if any vibrations are noted..  At least I will know.