Alto Sax

neobop

• BIRD LIVES

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Alto Sax
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2011, 03:14 am »
I not in love with the alto or soprano sound, prefer the tenor full body sound, but see Bird to play so well this tunes are a marvellous image to see.
It's really a pity that Charly has died so young.
God bless him.

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

lazydays

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2011, 11:20 pm »
Sonny Fortune?
gary

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2011, 12:15 am »
The JJ and Howard video is hypnotising, a full line of virtuoses, seems they play together years already.
How the old videos were very lod def in the past !

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2011, 12:42 am »
You may like the latin sax of Bob Fleming & small band playing Misty, 3:17 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wytPqgu3Jr8

OBS.:> Beautiful indeed is the lyric rendering the Bob's quartet give to An Affair to Remember, very romantic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5_8E1KGZ3I&NR=1

blutto

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2011, 02:11 pm »
...Sonny Criss playing Tin Tin Deo from Saturday Morning (Xanadu 105 )...real snake-charmer music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xemnD8_qJUA

Cheers

blutto

PS...stay away from his album The Joy of Sax...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2011, 02:38 pm »
Wow... Getz is more lyrical, refinated and in control in this Misty performance than usual, a great day for music surely.
A very relaxing performance, this kind of hi musically is hard to find in CD and unobtainium in SACDs, too bad.

I like much baritone and Gerry.  I have noted over the years on the Soprano and Alto saxes, the timbre of various musicians are do not change much in this instrument sizes, the timbre/tone seems the same on Alto/Soprano, somewhat standardized, even being other musician playing, but I may be wrong.

I wonder how could sound this baritone on a Nirvana 15 inches fullrange with a tube amp... :thumb:
Gustavo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2011, 11:12 pm »
Here's a brain twister for you, Neo.  Remember a British altoist from the 60's named Joe Harriott?  Or, how about Jimmy Lyons?  Marion Brown? 

lazydays

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2011, 05:49 pm »
last night the Devine Ms G and I went uptown to listen to Rob Dixon put on a clinic on how it's done. We sat thru about a set and a half, and virtually all songs were his own music (can only think of one song that was main stream). The group was a trio with the bass being supplied via electronic keyboard (Steve Jones). Group needs a bass player as the electronic keyboards and bass just plain sucks even on a good day. The drummer was on fire (Gregg Aultry), and of course Rob was his usual. He played with a tenor most of the time, but also used a saprano sax from time to time. Was surprised that he didn't bring his alto, as he's a really good alto player, but with Rob it's tenor in a big way. Last song he played was like a cross between Issofan and Tuneup, and must have lasted twenty minutes (he looked like he was ready for the oxygen bottle!). Heard elements of Coletrane and Henderson comming and going all thru the tune with his own stuff flowing with it. After the set we talked a few minutes about that tune and the one prior (just as good, but with a much slower tempo). Seems that he's never bothered to name them!! Wish he'd gotten Jonathen Woods to set in with him on bass, or better yet Frank Smith
gary

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2011, 06:19 pm »
About good basses, out-of-topic but: one time I listen a band which the bass player, a very senior man, used a electric Canadian four strings Dingwall fanned fret (Novax) scale.
http://www.dingwallguitars.com/basses/z-series/
As the instrument was passive and all the strings had a different length, the four strings were individually heard much more clearly than usual, it seemed the band had 4 bassist on stage, a stellar sound quality.

Any fanned fret guitar or bass had a awesound sound, if used as passive, (the built-in active pre-amp not used).

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2011, 07:03 pm »
Another great alto player was Art Pepper. Like many players, including Bird, he lost many years of his life to addiction, but his late albums, starting with Straight Life, pour every bit of that pain and every emotion you can think of into that horn.

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2011, 07:45 pm »
Paul Desmond, second only to Bird.

ZLS

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2011, 07:51 pm »
Johnny Hodges, Johnny Hodges, Johnny Hodges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2U1MGX8SLU

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2011, 09:33 pm »
Paul Desmond, second only to Bird.
Wow... You got me started... The first jazz concert I ever went to was Two Generations of Brubeck at Kennedy Center in Washington DC in '75 or so... Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan were both there. Yes, an all-timer. And who can argue with Hodges...

Scottdazzle

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2011, 01:04 am »
Phil Woods!!!! He's a living jazz master with a catalog that's rich and varied.  Phil's 79 now. Catch him live if you can.

lazydays

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2011, 04:05 pm »
Phil Woods!!!! He's a living jazz master with a catalog that's rich and varied.  Phil's 79 now. Catch him live if you can.

I personally like Woods better than Parker or Garrett. But then again I like Fortune better than Garrett as well
gary

Scottdazzle

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2011, 04:48 pm »
I personally like Woods better than Parker or Garrett. But then again I like Fortune better than Garrett as well
gary

I agree with you on all counts!

lazydays

« Reply #17 on: 3 Jun 2011, 05:13 pm »
Woods? He married Bird's widow, Chan. Kenny?  imo Woods can't even play compared to Kenny.

Cannonball played alto.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHtQn1t1n4&NR=1

http://www.amazon.com/My-Life--flat-Chan-Parker/dp/1570032459/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306968494&sr=1-1

a few years back I had the chance to see Garrett play a couple sets. Music was near perfect, but extremely bland. Played nothing diffecult, and mid way thru the second set a third of the people went home (ala Blanchard). Almost two weeks later Sonny Fortune played the same stage, and literally blew Garrett in the weeds. Now there have been some discussons about this at the same venue over the years, and the folks that thought Garrett was great now even say Fortune was better. I remember well hearing one well known alto player making the statement that "Mr. Fortune has now set the new standard for alto players in this place!" But as good as Fortune is, I think Phil Woods is better!
gary

jazzcourier

« Reply #18 on: 3 Jun 2011, 07:59 pm »
I normally steer clear of these broad generalization type topics / comments about Jazz and,especially where someone has a "personal" preference of  one players sound/technique/style  over another.Phil Woods has participated/led/recorded in 637 plus recordings since 1947. His career began in earnest in the 54-55 period and has not looked back since.He has always played original and passionate music based on the innovations of Charlie Parker like most of his generation.He also lived through and survived the worst period of creative Jazz 1966-1970 where there was little work for musicians who fell out of fashion.Most of them white,and like many found a new life and creative forum in Europe only to return to America and continue his vision.
    Kenny Garrett has been recording since 1981 and did not record his first solo album until 1984,and although he HAS worked with some well known musicians- Mingus-Miles etc. they were all past their prime creative periods and himself is pretty much a product of a marginal  era of Jazz with a talent that would have never survived,or made the cut in  more demanding musical environment.
  I can tell Phil Woods in a few notes.Garrett could be half a dozen competent,but indistinguishable alto players.Even at his advanced age Woods continues to thrive artistically.
     "Bird lives......but Rabbit rules! ".....Phil Woods

rockadanny

« Reply #19 on: 3 Jun 2011, 09:34 pm »
Cannonball Adderley and Art Pepper float my alto sax boat. I just can't get enough of them. IMO, they're the two best able to convey swing and emotion via their axes.  :thumb: