Anything new with DAC and Cherry amps?

dart6

Re: Anything new with DAC and Cherry amps?
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jan 2011, 04:17 am »
Lapsan

Which model spectron specificly did you own.
I also have sp techs, the continuum 2.5s. Love em

thx
Brett

orientalexpress

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jan 2011, 05:42 am »
Lapsan

Which model spectron specificly did you own.
I also have sp techs, the continuum 2.5s. Love em

thx
Brett
i bought this amp http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61729.msg554302#msg554302 from david

then i sold a couple week later to ironlion.

lapsan

gme109

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jan 2011, 03:49 pm »
I find it very odd that the only posts on Audio Asylum pertaining to Digital Amplifier Company, are the two I made recently, asking if anyone was familiar with or has heard any of their amps.  I even included a link to the StereoTimes review. And then the only response I got, was someone making a remark on the color of the faceplate. Why are people so uninquisitive?  :scratch:

jzexport

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jan 2011, 05:48 pm »
In my case, it's only because I would be repeating what I've posted previously. That is, in summary, I'm a happy owner of two Cherry Pluses. Replaced highly regarded tube amps, a Music Reference RM9 Mk II, and Wolcott Presence monoblocks. Main speakers are Merlin VSMs, of somewhat recent vintage, used for two channel music and the mains for home theater. Surround speakers are Merlin TSMs. Will eventually add a fifth channel of Cherry for the center channel Merlin TSM, where it will replace a Bryston 300 WPC monoblock. Don't miss the tubes at all. Never heard the Spectrons so have no comment.

gme109

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jan 2011, 06:54 pm »
In my case, it's only because I would be repeating what I've posted previously. That is, in summary, I'm a happy owner of two Cherry Pluses. Replaced highly regarded tube amps, a Music Reference RM9 Mk II, and Wolcott Presence monoblocks. Main speakers are Merlin VSMs, of somewhat recent vintage, used for two channel music and the mains for home theater. Surround speakers are Merlin TSMs. Will eventually add a fifth channel of Cherry for the center channel Merlin TSM, where it will replace a Bryston 300 WPC monoblock. Don't miss the tubes at all. Never heard the Spectrons so have no comment.

I'm still having a hard time understanding, why a product this good, has not generated much interest, on forums like Audio Asylum and elsewhere. Is it the economy, or something else?

jzexport

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jan 2011, 07:40 pm »
I am not so surprised. I think there are a few things at play. One is I believe the market is changing from 2-channel focus to home theater focus. Another is amplifiers aren't sexy and/or aren't seen to be able to make big leaps in performance. My motivation was not a search for the best sounding amps, but a desire to move away from having to deal with the heat and maintenance of tubes. I saw the DAC amps as giving me what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. I did not do anywhere near an exhaustive search. Finally, HT and passe componentry come together in what it takes to get reviews from publications. There have been threads on this, even specific to DAC amps. Not all, but many expect advertising. With others it becomes priorities in what they are going to review, and in my opinion, again, I think amps are simply not exciting things for reviewers. I think it's very hard for manufacturers do get reviews done.

That leaves users willing to chime in. After you've posted your input once, I think the expectation is for people to find it in a search, and not repeat it every time someone asks, "What do you think?" Especially if you are happy. And with DAC, with no disrespect and without really knowing, I doubt there is a huge installed base of users to even draw on.

End result, no buzz. Didn't stop me from listening and buying.

watercourse

« Reply #26 on: 11 Jan 2011, 09:16 pm »
After you've posted your input once, I think the expectation is for people to find it in a search, and not repeat it every time someone asks, "What do you think?" Especially if you are happy. And with DAC, with no disrespect and without really knowing, I doubt there is a huge installed base of users to even draw on.

End result, no buzz. Didn't stop me from listening and buying.
Agree 100%. In my case, I was lucky to borrow a 4800a before committing, and it kicked all other Class D amps that I've heard, both in my system and elsewhere, to the curb. The Cherry Jr. was a step up from the 4800a, likely because of component changes since the 4800a was introduced. You can look at my previous thoughts on the subject in this circle if you haven't already done so. The particular 4800a that I borrowed was Lapsan's, so there is some ability to compare how well even the lowest model performed in multiple systems and setups.

I would also say my search was not exhaustive among all available Class D offerings (only those within a limited price range), and that I have not directly compared in my system, for instance, tube amps to the DAC amps. However, I'm also not feeling a strong need to do so as there is a certain synergy that I feel has been attained among the components I now have.

FWIW, I agree 100% with the characterizations of the DAC amps you can find in the latest reviews of the Jr. and PLUS. What the reviewers heard, I also heard.

Hope that helps. Any other specific questions, I'll try to answer if I think I might contribute something to the discussion.

Wilson

gme109

« Reply #27 on: 11 Jan 2011, 10:51 pm »
Agree 100%. In my case, I was lucky to borrow a 4800a before committing, and it kicked all other Class D amps that I've heard, both in my system and elsewhere, to the curb. The Cherry Jr. was a step up from the 4800a, likely because of component changes since the 4800a was introduced. You can look at my previous thoughts on the subject in this circle if you haven't already done so. The particular 4800a that I borrowed was Lapsan's, so there is some ability to compare how well even the lowest model performed in multiple systems and setups.

I would also say my search was not exhaustive among all available Class D offerings (only those within a limited price range), and that I have not directly compared in my system, for instance, tube amps to the DAC amps. However, I'm also not feeling a strong need to do so as there is a certain synergy that I feel has been attained among the components I now have.

FWIW, I agree 100% with the characterizations of the DAC amps you can find in the latest reviews of the Jr. and PLUS. What the reviewers heard, I also heard.

Hope that helps. Any other specific questions, I'll try to answer if I think I might contribute something to the discussion.

Wilson

Can you tell me what other Class D amps you compared the DAC amps to?

Thanks

watercourse

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jan 2011, 12:38 am »
Bel Canto S300, Red Wine Audio Signature 30, NuForce Ref 9, Rotel RMB-1077.

Edit: Oops, make that a RWA Sig 30.2 power amp. How quickly we forget...
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 05:10 am by watercourse »

munosmario

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:58 am »
If I undrstand correctly (DAC's website), the standard (no customer requested upgrades from Tommy) current 4800A and the standard current Cherry Junior are internally identical. Price is the same. The difference is cosmetics. Classic, conservative black front panel in the 4800A with ability to set stand-by mode by pressing button on front panel, as well as front panel LED performance status lights, which is not the case with the Cherry Junior. Furthermore, if I recall correctly the 4800A is Response Audio's preferred amp for demoing their $3000 -8000 Purity tubed line stages ("Preamps for DAC 4800A and Cherry" thread in this Circle, Reply #4):

Quote--

I had the DAC4800 for a while and my partner had the Cherry and 4800A side by side. We were using the Purity Statement balanced linestage and while the Cherry sounded very nice, the 4800 was a beautiful mate. I also used the Purity One with the 4800 using XLR-RCA adapters and the amp was still dead quiet. I really miss having this amp on hand.

I will admit that I was never big on not having tube power but this combination has changed me.

I enjoyed the neutral and dynamic presentation of the 4800 so much that I will be bringing another in for use in evaluation, testing and demo'ing the Purity linestages in our showroom.

Very nice work AD333

--Uquote

watercourse

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jan 2011, 04:07 am »
And Bill Baker from Response Audio does also build amps, so he knows his stuff.

To clarify, the 4800a that I demoed was very likely different than the current production. I recall Tommy announcing different iterations of transformer, motherboard and output filters that have been built into that amp since the version that I tried. I had never heard of DAC until Lapsan told me about it, and I was impressed enough with the sound that I purchased the very first Cherry Jr.

My time spent with the Cherry Jr. has been extremely positive - it is a very very nice amp. I'm sure that the current 4800a is too, since they should be sonically identical if all their hardware is the same. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the DAC amps to anyone.

Sonny

« Reply #31 on: 12 Jan 2011, 05:23 am »
Man you DAC Lovers!  They do sound good as I've heard it both at Wilson's and Lapsan's!

T

Sonny

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jan 2011, 05:24 am »
I'd be curious to see how they compare to my EVS amps. :thumb:

watercourse

« Reply #33 on: 12 Jan 2011, 03:53 pm »
Big T - happy new year man!
I'd be curious what you think too. You've heard it at my place, but we've got very different setups. Your system is pretty dialed in with the multiple amps - would it be easy to swap in a Cherry?
I'm out all next week, so you could borrow my PLUS if you wanted (if Kirsten doesn't already have party plans while the cat's away).
Or we could wait for Lapsan's new system to be put together and listen then (Lapsan, do you like how I volunteered your system?).
Wilson

Sonny

« Reply #34 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:47 pm »
Wilson, we can wait....I'd rather have you guys there for extra set of ears....
Lapsan, are you in?

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jan 2011, 12:18 am »
Okay, where are you guys? I'd like to come listen too if you wouldn't mind.

Sonny

« Reply #36 on: 13 Jan 2011, 12:50 am »
Okay, where are you guys? I'd like to come listen too if you wouldn't mind.

We are in the SF Bay Area in California!  You are welcome if you can make it.

orientalexpress

« Reply #37 on: 13 Jan 2011, 03:22 am »
I'm in ,let me know when .my home theater is complete :) :icon_lol:

lapsan

Sonny

« Reply #38 on: 13 Jan 2011, 03:46 am »
I'm in ,let me know when .my home theater is complete :) :icon_lol:

lapsan
You still planning on coming by this Saturday for me to fix the cable?
T

orientalexpress

« Reply #39 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:29 am »
You still planning on coming by this Saturday for me to fix the cable?
T
yes,i will pm you later for you address :)

lapsan