Anything new with DAC and Cherry amps?

tcsubwoofer

Anything new with DAC and Cherry amps?
« on: 5 Jan 2011, 08:59 am »
Cherry amps are top of my demo list in the near future.  But I gotta say the sluggish rate of reviews and feedback lately has me a bit concerned.  Three whole posts for December?  Some of the other amp circles seem to be alive and well.

Not trying to be a jerk, but just wondering why such a highly regarded line of amps has had so little audiophile chatter on this forum lately.  Why is that?  I'm pretty dang excited to demo and hopefully buy one of these puppies and could use some continued thoughts and opinions on these amps. 

SlushPuppy

Re: Anything new with DAC and Cherry amps?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2011, 02:03 pm »
This may help:

http://www.stereotimes.com/MW2010.shtml

You’ll be hard pressed to find better bass combined with the stellar clarity & liquidity this amp conveys. If you’re looking for an amp with a prodigious amount of authority, speed inner detail, massive amounts of micro and macro dynamics then look no further: the Cherry Plus is just about the finest Solid State amp I’ve ever had the pleasure to experience. In my opinion this amp could live in the finest consumer and pro audio setups. Just be forewarned that if you have any acoustical issues with bass boom in your room this amp puts out a lot of energy – it’s tight, controlled and plunges to the stygian depths with seemingly endless headroom. (See review  here Alvester Garnett, Clement Perry)

watercourse

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:59 pm »
Happy new year all! Well, I've been just enjoying my system, fine tuning and experimenting with some non-invasive tweaks like EVS ground enhancers and an inner tube beneath the Cherry Plus. Both have made positive differences in the system, which I'm really enjoying now: increased liquidity, depth, 3D imaging, and lower apparent noise floor from the preamp.
I have some problems at my house, including a VERY close by light rail system that introduces moderately strong vibrations into everything, as well as ambient noise. So, all good from my end, and quiet cuz I'm grooving to the tunes!  :thumb:
Wilson

highfilter

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2011, 04:36 pm »
I've also tried the EVS Ground Enhancers on my Cherry Jr and posts on my speakers, and they have made a solid improvement. I am loving my Cherry Jr, but hope to be able to gather some funds for the Cherry Monoblocks sometime this year.  :D

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2011, 05:01 pm »
Congrats Tommy!  Great recommendation.  A good way to start a New Year!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2011, 06:33 pm »
So you evaluate a prospective amp purchase on the amount of forum traffic or frequency of it's product reviews?  :scratch:

Other than suggesting you might want to tie in with Mass. Wine Guy who shares your sentiments, all I've got is good luck with that line of thought.  :thumb: 

Cheers,
Robin

orientalexpress

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2011, 07:00 pm »
Happy new year all! Well, I've been just enjoying my system, fine tuning and experimenting with some non-invasive tweaks like EVS ground enhancers and an inner tube beneath the Cherry Plus. Both have made positive differences in the system, which I'm really enjoying now: increased liquidity, depth, 3D imaging, and lower apparent noise floor from the preamp.
I have some problems at my house, including a VERY close by light rail system that introduces moderately strong vibrations into everything, as well as ambient noise. So, all good from my end, and quiet cuz I'm grooving to the tunes!  :thumb:
Wilson
Damn Wilson,been a long time.anyway i enjoy my system so much instead of reading other review from another amp company.i just add a cherry amp and a cherry mono block to  my home theater and use the adcom for rear.This thing Rock.and my 3 Front is speakercraft starlet 4.

Happy new year :)

lapsan

gme109

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2011, 08:39 pm »
Cherry amps are top of my demo list in the near future.  But I gotta say the sluggish rate of reviews and feedback lately has me a bit concerned.  Three whole posts for December?  Some of the other amp circles seem to be alive and well.

Not trying to be a jerk, but just wondering why such a highly regarded line of amps has had so little audiophile chatter on this forum lately.  Why is that?  I'm pretty dang excited to demo and hopefully buy one of these puppies and could use some continued thoughts and opinions on these amps.

Same here. I'm not making any judgments about the product based on lack of attention, but I like to get a wide assortment of professional and end user feedback, before taking a leap. I know I know, I could just buy one and try it, and return it if not happy, but I don't like wasting time and effort. It takes time to properly break in a new product, and evaluate it. And there are a lot of products out there I'd like to try. So feedback helps to narrow things down a bit. I've really been hoping for some feedback comparing the latest Spectron to a Cherry amp.

Also I've noticed its really hard doing searches for the name "Digital amp company" or "DAC" because its somewhat of a generic term. I can never turn anything up  on Audiogon, searching for "Digital amp company" or "DAC" even though there is feedback and products are listed on the site. 

orientalexpress

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2011, 09:59 pm »
Same here. I'm not making any judgments about the product based on lack of attention, but I like to get a wide assortment of professional and end user feedback, before taking a leap. I know I know, I could just buy one and try it, and return it if not happy, but I don't like wasting time and effort. It takes time to properly break in a new product, and evaluate it. And there are a lot of products out there I'd like to try. So feedback helps to narrow things down a bit. I've really been hoping for some feedback comparing the latest Spectron to a Cherry amp.

Also I've noticed its really hard doing searches for the name "Digital amp company" or "DAC" because its somewhat of a generic term. I can never turn anything up  on Audiogon, searching for "Digital amp company" or "DAC" even though there is feedback and products are listed on the site.
i already wrote the comparison with this amp i bought http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61729.msg554302#msg554302
i end up selling the spectron amp a couple week later.i compare them when i have both amps on hand .i prefer the DAC 4800a.i sold the 4800a when i upgrade to cherry plus,Now i just aquired a cherry stereo and a cherry mono block for my home theater.Love it.:)

lapsan

gme109

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2011, 10:17 pm »
i already wrote the comparison with this amp i bought http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61729.msg554302#msg554302
i end up selling the spectron amp a couple week later.i compare them when i have both amps on hand .i prefer the DAC 4800a.i sold the 4800a when i upgrade to cherry plus,Now i just aquired a cherry stereo and a cherry mono block for my home theater.Love it.:)

lapsan

What did I miss, I saw no comparison? Was that your Spectron that was sold? If so, did you do a write up somewhere, comparing the two?

orientalexpress

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2011, 10:23 pm »
What did I miss, I saw no comparison? Was that your Spectron that was sold? If so, did you do a write up somewhere, comparing the two?
here is part of the write up"after some listening with Spectron amp and DAC 4800A amp, I decided to keep DAC amp. I didn't realize how good this amp is until I have both amps to compare. They're both have a lot power, the mid sound about the same, the separation of the instruments give that to DAC, the high is about right with DAC but Spectron seem a little bright for me. The bass on the DAC is fast and tight."from here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88275.0

lapsan

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2011, 11:51 pm »
So you evaluate a prospective amp purchase on the amount of forum traffic or frequency of it's product reviews?  :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin
As subjective as this hobby is you wouldn't think I might make an impression about the quality of a product based on forum activity?   True, it doesn't necessarily follow that low activity = poor quality.  But based on personal experience it can also be true that lack of activity means people don't like or are not all that excited about a product.  Thus far what I have seen in this forum is quite compelling and I just want to hear more.

As a clarification from my original post I was more concerned about low forum activity versus professional reviews which have been outstanding.  My original question was why is activity so slow for such a well reviewed product?  I'll chalk it up to DAC amps being a niche product within a niche on-line industry and hasn't really had enough word-of-mouth yet.  Would you agree?

Just to clarify - can't wait to hear one of these!  :thumb:

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:20 am »
Wilson

Hey, hadn't thought about that one too.  An amp and system so refined that your groovin instead of searching for a major equipment change!  I want to be there too and am climbing up the hill to join ya.  Hoping the Cherry amp will be a high peak for me.  Only thing holding me back is funding right now.

watercourse

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:44 am »
tc - hope you get there too! Maybe Uncle Sam will thank us all with a fat refund this year ... yeah, I'm dreaming.
Thanks for getting this thread rolling.

watercourse

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:46 am »
Hey Lapsan! Happy new year, long time no hang. Did you get new main speakers? Did I read that correctly: 4 Cherry amps???!!!!

orientalexpress

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2011, 02:11 pm »
Hey Lapsan! Happy new year, long time no hang. Did you get new main speakers? Did I read that correctly: 4 Cherry amps???!!!!
just 3 cherry amps,same speakers for the 2 channel,love those sp tech revalation.home theater got a make over tho,alot of inwall now.plus a custom subwoofers is being build ,should be ready by tuesday for pickup.How about you,any change to your system?

lapsan

watercourse

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2011, 03:11 pm »
Lap,
More bass than your SP Techs???!!!! Sounds like a party  :D
Last year, Cherry Jr. was upgraded to the Plus and using an Audio Horizons Transparency power cord (excellent), and narrowed down the preamp choices to just the Juicy Music Peach II, which is bone stock (even the tubes), and I really love it. Really musical.
That's all, pretty simple. Sounds like we need to hear your system after all the dust settles.
Wilson
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2011, 04:26 pm by watercourse »

mojave

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:37 pm »
tcsubwoofer,

I just read that you recently finished your LS-6 kit. I received my LS-6 kit a few weeks ago. However, I have already had my Cherry Jr. amp since June! I can't wait to try it out with the LS-6's. I'm still waiting on NoRez and then I can build them out. I actually have 3 pairs of LS-6 cabinets and I hope to someday to use all of them powered by Cherry amps in a home theater. This amp really is incredible and I am amazed at how well it handles the bass.

tcsubwoofer

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jan 2011, 11:43 pm »
tcsubwoofer,

I just read that you recently finished your LS-6 kit. I received my LS-6 kit a few weeks ago. However, I have already had my Cherry Jr. amp since June! I can't wait to try it out with the LS-6's. I'm still waiting on NoRez and then I can build them out. I actually have 3 pairs of LS-6 cabinets and I hope to someday to use all of them powered by Cherry amps in a home theater. This amp really is incredible and I am amazed at how well it handles the bass.

:drool: Mojave...that sounds really, really great!  I would love to hear an all LS-6 HT system with DAC Cherry amps and that would be stunning.  If that setup didn't make tears of audiophile joy come to your eyes I'm not sure anything would.

I will be really keen on your impression of mating the LS-6s with the Cherry Junior.  It is looking like the Cherry and Jerry Jr will be in my budget and not so sure about the Cherry Plus right now.  I am trying to contain my enthusiasm until after my amp hits a bit higher standard.  However, I have to say even with subpar amplification they are nice to listen to.  I also want to try the Cherry on my current set of Selah RC-5G speakers that sound forward/bright to me right now and I suspect it might be a bit amp related.  Right now I am running them with some Outlaw Audio 2200 monoblocks.

BTW, I saw a pair of LS-6 cabinets up for sale a few weeks back in Colorado Springs.  My buddy was envious of my project and I called him up and told him he needed to buy the cabinets and build his own so he did buy the LS-6 cabinets.  I drove with him and picked them up with him and I am storing them in my basement since he lives in Dallas and he was in Denver for the holiday.  Part of me wants him to back out therefore allowing me to keep these and have another set on hand!  Really though I don't have the room for 4 or even 6 of these speakers.

gme109

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2011, 12:17 am »
:drool: Mojave...that sounds really, really great!  I would love to hear an all LS-6 HT system with DAC Cherry amps and that would be stunning.  If that setup didn't make tears of audiophile joy come to your eyes I'm not sure anything would.

I will be really keen on your impression of mating the LS-6s with the Cherry Junior.  It is looking like the Cherry and Jerry Jr will be in my budget and not so sure about the Cherry Plus right now.  I am trying to contain my enthusiasm until after my amp hits a bit higher standard.  However, I have to say even with subpar amplification they are nice to listen to.  I also want to try the Cherry on my current set of Selah RC-5G speakers that sound forward/bright to me right now and I suspect it might be a bit amp related.  Right now I am running them with some Outlaw Audio 2200 monoblocks.

BTW, I saw a pair of LS-6 cabinets up for sale a few weeks back in Colorado Springs.  My buddy was envious of my project and I called him up and told him he needed to buy the cabinets and build his own so he did buy the LS-6 cabinets.  I drove with him and picked them up with him and I am storing them in my basement since he lives in Dallas and he was in Denver for the holiday.  Part of me wants him to back out therefore allowing me to keep these and have another set on hand!  Really though I don't have the room for 4 or even 6 of these speakers.

I've pretty much narrowed things down to two amps. The Spectron Musician III mk.II and a Cherry Plus. I owned a Musican II, which I upgraded to  a pair Channel Islands D200's, and now I'm looking for the next greatest thing. They'll be driving a pair of Selah Audio line arrays, which at this point, I can't even imagine sounding any better. I'll be interested in hearing your impressions of the Cherry amp on your Selah Audio RC-5G's.