Help on XLS Encore

wired4sound

Help on XLS Encore
« on: 22 Feb 2018, 12:34 am »
Made a bonehead move today and kicking myself for being careless and lazy. :duh: :duh:

While one of my system is playing (two separate system in one rack), I was trying to swap interconnect connect cables between the two system. I lost grip on one of the cable and hit the speaker connection (left channel) of the system that was playing. It created a spark and obviously, the left channel is dead.

Before I touch the speaker for repair, I thought of asking first as to which part of the speaker you think is most likely fried. Is it the woofer (voice coil), tweeter, or crossover? Or all of them?

Thanks for the help.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Help on XLS Encore
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2018, 01:27 am »
You may not have damaged the speaker, might be the amp.   Do you have another way to test the speaker from the bad channel.  If it tests good, it is the amp. 

It the amp has fuses in the outputs, might be a blown fuse. 

wired4sound

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2018, 02:07 am »
I tested both speakers with another amp, and left channel is not working. I think the speaker is fried. Trying to figure out which of the component needs replacing.
Thanks for the help!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2018, 02:19 am »
If you push gently on the 6.5" woofer in the speaker that tests bad, can you feel any resistance or scraping?  That will test the woofer for a bad voice coil.

Use an ohm meter to check the good and bad speakers for DC resistance on the voice coil.  That can see if the woofer voice coil is open or shorted.

There should be a schematic of the crossover posted.  You can easily check the inductors and resistors for operation. 

Start there and see what you find.  The working channel is your reference to compare to.

wired4sound

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2018, 02:37 am »
Thanks for the tip.
Yeah, I will do that. Is there a way to check if the tweeter is ok?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2018, 02:48 am »
You have to remove it from the cabinet and use an ohm meter like the woofer at the terminals.  They should both be close.