Thoughts on Super 3 High Output XRS vs Super Alnico High Output XRS

pursuitofnow

So I've narrowed down my options between these two speakers for my audio and TV needs. I'm torn between which ones will be better as all around speakers. I would love thoughts and opinions. I will also be consulting Louis of course but would like others to chime in as well.

The Room
19' x 12' with the back wall having an opening of 10' into the dining kitchen area.

The Gear
Thorens VN-150
2M Bronze
Decware ZP3
Decware ZSTAGE
_______

Moon 230HAD DAC
Decware ZROCK
_______

Decware SE84UFO
ZSTYX
Dayton PS220-8 Speakers (96dB)
DeepOmega 8

From what I've read the Super 3 HO XRS will have more snap and high end extension. The Super Alnico HO XRS being more textured and mid focused. Would the Alnico's be good for TV/movie stuff or should they only be considered for music?

Right now I'm not concerned with the cost difference and want to invest a good overall solution that will have great synergy with my Decware gear. I'm sure I'm not providing enough information, so please let me know anything else that will help with an opinion of which would be better suited for my needs. Thanks!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
I use SAMs both for music and for video.  Video is with an AVR powering the surrounds and HT Bypass through my DAC for the front two channels.  I do not use a center channel.  I am well bass augmented.  The sound quality for movies is excellent.  All the imaging, depth, soundstage are there just as they are with music.  In my case, the AVR does Audyssey calibration, so equalization is employed to make movie soundtracks, in particular, sound right.

I don't really feel the need for a center channel, but I've not seen anyone suggest the possibility of an Omega center channel.  If using Super Alnico mains, I could see using a single High Output Super Alnico Monitor for a center.

.......Peter

roscoe65

I use SAMs both for music and for video.  Video is with an AVR powering the surrounds and HT Bypass through my DAC for the front two channels.  I do not use a center channel.  I am well bass augmented.  The sound quality for movies is excellent.  All the imaging, depth, soundstage are there just as they are with music.  In my case, the AVR does Audyssey calibration, so equalization is employed to make movie soundtracks, in particular, sound right.

I don't really feel the need for a center channel, but I've not seen anyone suggest the possibility of an Omega center channel.  If using Super Alnico mains, I could see using a single High Output Super Alnico Monitor for a center.

.......Peter

The idea of an Omega center channel has been raised a number of times.  I would argue that Omega speakers are ideally suited for center channel use since they are point sources.  A L/R Omega turned sideways would be perfect.  I would ask Louis for a single speaker.

Nocturne79

Helo there i have both rS5 ho monitors as LCR for movie duty and a pair of alnicop HO towers for music run thru a full decware system.  The RS5 are run thru marantz sr6008.  Both sound good and for my taste i pefer the RS5 speakers for movies due to be a little more forward that the alnico they are both stellar speakers and its a tough choice.  If you pefer music more and movies second then I would go for the alnico speakers.

I hope this helps if I can help with any questions feel free to ask

have a good one.

pursuitofnow

.......Peter

Thanks Peter. Glad to hear the alnico maintain the imaging, depth, soundstage for movies. I'm not using any sort of receiver, just optical cable from the tv to the DAC. Does that mean I'd have equalization issues with the alnico vs super 3? I don't currently feel the need for eq regarding movies vs music.

The idea of an Omega center channel has been raised a number of times.  I would argue that Omega speakers are ideally suited for center channel use since they are point sources.  A L/R Omega turned sideways would be perfect.  I would ask Louis for a single speaker.

Thanks Roscoe. I hadn't really considered a center channel and still not sure I want to. I usually keep the tv volume off and just use the amp for volume. However on some shows that are hard to hear what is being said I can turn up the tv volume to get a pseudo center channel which helps for low level conversations but overall starts smearing things in general.

Helo there i have both rS5 ho monitors as LCR for movie duty and a pair of alnicop HO towers for music run thru a full decware system.  The RS5 are run thru marantz sr6008.  Both sound good and for my taste i pefer the RS5 speakers for movies due to be a little more forward that the alnico they are both stellar speakers and its a tough choice.  If you pefer music more and movies second then I would go for the alnico speakers.

I hope this helps if I can help with any questions feel free to ask

have a good one.

Thanks Toivo. When you say the RS5 speakers sound more forward, is that to say the alnico sound recessed in comparison? Which frequencies of the RS5 sound more forward? Highs, mids, etc? I would definitely prioritize music first and movies second.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Thanks Peter. Glad to hear the alnico maintain the imaging, depth, soundstage for movies. I'm not using any sort of receiver, just optical cable from the tv to the DAC. Does that mean I'd have equalization issues with the alnico vs super 3? I don't currently feel the need for eq regarding movies vs music.

I wouldn't say equalization issues at all.  Just that Audyssey enhances "room correction" for video.  It does it for audio also, but I don't play music audio through the AVR. 

If your priority is music and you are doing a basic stereo setup from your TV audio, I would go with the Alnicos if it were me.  Though some prefer the ferrites even with music, so I think you have to determine your overall preference first.  I've measured in room frequency response and have gotten the 10k to 17k range pretty flat with the alnicos.  I'm sure ferrites would be too bright for me.  Originally, I had Louis' Super 7 XRS (before Mk II) with both ferrite/no whizzer and an alnico with whizzer drivers that I could switch between.  No brainer for me.  And the 6" Alnico drivers, at least in the SAM cabinets, were a step up from the 7" Alnicos.

Tough decisions without listening.

........Peter