Anyone else had issues with the latest big Windows 10 update?

martinr

There was a Win 10 update about a week prior to Christmas that removed the work around to allow me remote into my server and removed the Chinese USB XMOS driver for my Gustard.  What a PITA especially around the Holidays!
Took me awhile to remember to remove the Microsoft unassigned driver protection prior to re-installing the driver and I wound up using a free program (Team Viewer) to remote into the Dac.  BL - everything works fine now but I was quite surprised when I realized that not only could I not remote into my server but I had no music even when using J-River Gizmo......from what Ive read there is no setting available to shut off Windows updates, you can run your server as "metered", although I don't know if that will effect the ability to download from HD tracks for example.....Glad this dilemma is over (until the next Win 10 update)

- Martin

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
I get this update it was big, version 1709, the reboot take about 20 mins unfortunately or fortunatelly I dont use music server for hifi.

*Scotty*

If you set your connection as metered it only affects the big feature updates from Microsoft. I run my HAL MS-2 PC Music Server this way and only security updates and  Windows Defender Antivirus definitions are downloaded.
 This setting only affects the Win update behavior everything else is unaffected as far as downloads is concerned.
Scotty

Wind Chaser

There was an update?

WGH

There was an update?

Yup, the Windows 10 version 1709 Fall Creators Update.

If you don't have it yet this is a very good time to do a full system backup.
My first look at the update was: reboot, blue screen, reboot, blue screen, reboot, blue screen, etc.
I was able to fix it without a reinstall or image restore but it took some thinking. Updating Eset NOD32 corrupted a Comodo firewall file that stopped Windows booting, all these security programs have their claws in the OS and don't let go easily.

If your start button intermittently stops working, I have the fix.
Also you may have to download and run a graphics card uninstall program like the AMD/ATI Clean Uninstall Utility to make your system squeaky clean before installing new drivers.
Other than that, 1709 seems fast and stable.

Wayne

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
There was an update?
Your start menu will came plenty of free MS teenager waste no more able to be removed, no more unsinstall buttom.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
When I right click on menu items, I have an "uninstall" option just like before.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
When I right click on menu items, I have an "uninstall" option just like before.
At the W10 Creators V1709 you wont have it anymore for MS apps, only for non MS apps:

WGH

... fortunatelly I dont use music server for hifi.

I can understand wanting a lean machine with less apps running in the background if a computer is used as a music server, but even with all the "extras" Microsoft added with the 1709 update I don't see a performance hit. CPU usage in the Task Manager 1%-3% and memory is at 57%.

Type "services.msc" in Search Windows box and none of those MS Apps show up as running processes except Plays.tv update service which can be disabled by right clicking.
Even the dreaded Windows Store Update Service is a manual start and off as the default status.

So those MS Apps just seem to hang out, unloved, unwanted but not doing any harm, even with all the stuff I have my 500 GB SSD is only half full so space is a non-issue. My concern is removing those apps may cause future MS Updates to hang and I may want to play Candy Crush Soda Saga some day.

Wayne