This is a Test, Only a Test!!

adydula

• Restricted
Re: This is a Test, Only a Test!!
« Reply #20 on: 23 Nov 2017, 01:52 pm »
OK I ripped the two cds and have listened very carefully.

The older cd the drums are more to the left and with the new cd they are more centered....still to the left but definitely different.

Reverberation is more so with the newer cd, seems more life like etc..

This is with a set of Beyerdynamics T1's V2 and a Schitt Multibit Bifrost dac and Schitt Vahalla 2 headphone amp.

The distorting sound is clearly gone with the new cd...1984 vs 1997.

I wish I could find the 1984 cd to see if this was indeed in the original....somehow I doubt it with a cd as popular as this
seems it would be a known issue etc.

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: 23 Nov 2017, 03:50 pm »
I found this looking for another copy of the 1984  first USA cd release:
Note this was found on steve hoffmans music forum..

""The original mix is a bit strange; the new one is more even for me.

The original stereo also has some distortion, I remember reading it was a faulty mixer or something. Doesn't affect the mono tape at all.

It's not unpleasant, but it's there on the original stereo LPs and all CDs derived from that tape (all the early ones before the Mastersound, I think). Listeners are so used to it that it's part of the experience.""

Seems like there is something to this distortion I am hearing on this original USA version..

and this: "rare US cd, only $139!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAVE-BRUBECK-TIME-OUT-US-DADC-PRESSING-PLANT-1st-PRESS-1984-COLUMBIA-CK-8192/282729062385?hash=item41d3f71ff1:g:sKkAAOSwcUBYUvxE

Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #22 on: 23 Nov 2017, 05:05 pm »
This Ebay price is silly its a defective CD, however the next album Time Further Out from 1961 may have some value.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsGSxbAB3qk&list=PLD5A89EEDBA7E2073

dB Cooper

« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2017, 01:36 am »
Just buy the HDtracks version (or the Japan CD if you just gotta have a disc) and be done with it.

My channels and Scotty's are reversed. Don't know which is 'right'. Note that FRM also has Hifiman 400's and reports the same as Scotty.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 24 Nov 2017, 01:54 am »
I will listen this disc in the cd player as soon I have time to change the HE400 cord and warmup to charge the capacitors.

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 24 Nov 2017, 01:55 am »
I found this looking for another copy of the 1984  first USA cd release:
Note this was found on steve hoffmans music forum..

Not surprising. 1984 would have been early in the CD era and many if not most analog-sourced re-releases (remember SPARS codes?) were just 'cranked out' without any production steps intended to optimize the sound of the CD. ("... If the recording doesn't sound right, If the master doesn't sound right, it goes out anyway- it's only 'product' to them." Frank Zappa)

dB Cooper

« Reply #26 on: 24 Nov 2017, 01:57 am »
I will listen this disc in the cd player as soon I have time to change the HE400 cord and warmup to charge the capacitors.

If nothing else this thread has been a great incentive to revisit a classic jazz album! Agree it is ridiculous to pay $139 for a poorly mastered CD when you can buy it in remastered hi-res for $20. One born every minute...

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #27 on: 24 Nov 2017, 01:46 pm »
1984!! This reminds me of how long in this crazy hobby I have been in!!

Heathkits, Knight, Allied Radio, Dynaco, Technics SL 1300 "direct drive TT!!!" (lol)....and so many other neat things gone in the dustbin of audio history!!

The legacy CBS cd is pretty good and I know the headphone setup is really good at articulating and or my hearing at 68 has
improved immensely to hear something I missed all those years ago on my reference Denon DCD3300 cd player with galvo connectors and cables!! Ha!!

Smiling...
Alex

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 25 Nov 2017, 12:16 am »
I have just listening the Time Out 65122 1997 at the CD player direct with 2 RCA cables in the HE400 with pads velour, and the recording sound awesome, much better and different from the PC. Acoustic bass and drums have outstanding image and plenty of lows, transients are crisp and clear, small details are audible.

This analogue CBS recording are much better than the Deutsche Grammophon digital classical recordings from 80/90 that I have on hand. The sound stage pan are as follow with the RCA cable:
Left: piano
Center: bass and sax
Right: drums
Only soundstage size could be bigger, other details of this recording with this HP are very good.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2017, 03:20 am by FullRangeMan »

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: 25 Nov 2017, 03:59 pm »
Yes its on the right...sometimes its easy to get confused when setting up and your cables might be switched from you dac to your amp..
I once built an amp and had the two inputs reversed!

Alex

dB Cooper

« Reply #30 on: 25 Nov 2017, 04:15 pm »
I played my Chesky 'Ultimate Headphone Demo Disc' which includes Channel ID tests to make sure there wasn't a 'cross' somewhere. Channel paths are correct. Piano right, drums left in my system using the HDTracks as a source.