Having fun with a linear tracking arm

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Having fun with a linear tracking arm
« on: 13 Nov 2017, 04:28 am »
I found this beauty at RMAF this year.   Clearaudio TT2 was only displayed as a static sample.  I did my groundwork first two days and went back Sunday afternoon.  I was refused at first but eventually was led to the president of Musical Surroundings and I was able to make a deal.  Garth was a very pleasant person to deal with.

Anyway, I got a never used piece as a demo deal.  I took it home with me on the plane and hooked it up.  It took me two full days to get it right.  The written instruction was not the best but I figured it out eventually.  With the aid of a digital scale, included alignment tool and Analog Test LP I got it tracking perfectly  --  the needle is in perfect line from outer most groove to the inner most groove.  It helped that I could level my La Platine Verdier table on the fly.  It is very important that the arm ( and the table) is level to make sure there is no "skating."

I haven't done any critical comparison with inner grooves and all that but I am really liking the whole presentation right now.  I will eventually do some testing but I am just enjoying the arm right now.   Aesthetix Io Eclipese and original Sugano Koetsu Rosewood retipped and cleaned out by Peter Lederman round out the chain.  There is something special going on here and I am going to just enjoy for a while before I get analytical about the sound. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Having fun with a linear tracking arm
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2017, 01:15 pm »
woodsyi,
Looks great. 

A friend has a Rabco SL-8 linear tracking arm on his Thorens TD125 table and it sounds amazing. 

Will be watching for your comments.

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2017, 01:36 pm »
Congrats Woodsyi, looks like a beautiful piece  :thumb:

I've had a Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro linear arm for several years, with numerous ongoing refinements, and never looked back.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2017, 01:53 pm »
Sweet Woodsyi, beautiful rig.  8)

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2017, 04:54 pm »
Congrats Woodsyi, looks like a beautiful piece  :thumb:

I've had a Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro linear arm for several years, with numerous ongoing refinements, and never looked back.

Thanks Tom,

I thought I saw Hagerman Trumpet in a picture.  Did you ditch it in favor of Vinnie's Lio phono?  What's your resonance frequency with that Miyajima cart?

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:47 am »
Thanks Tom,

I thought I saw Hagerman Trumpet in a picture.  Did you ditch it in favor of Vinnie's Lio phono?  What's your resonance frequency with that Miyajima cart?
The Trumpet was a very long time ago. I've since had a Zesto and a few DIY stages, but now just use the LIO. I don't know the exact resonance, though the Kansui is fairly low compliance. The T3 seems to handle it just fine, despite it's very low mass.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2017, 04:03 am »
The Trumpet was a very long time ago. I've since had a Zesto and a few DIY stages, but now just use the LIO. I don't know the exact resonance, though the Kansui is fairly low compliance. The T3 seems to handle it just fine, despite it's very low mass.

Koetsu is stiff too and the "arm" on TT2 is very light as well.  Analog Test tracks indicate that I am getting resonance between 15 and 20Hz although I am not experiencing any troubles playing bass rich LPs.  I may add some weight to the cart and see if that will move the resonance down below 12Hz.

jtsnead

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2017, 05:33 pm »
Nice I was looking at one of these and might try one out if my friend becomes a dealer

or I might just get the arm and try to install it on the SL1200G I just got

I used to be a long term owner of the Trans Fi arm also and love the sound of LT arms,
however I thing standard arms have improved