AKG K-1000. Did you ever wonder what the designer is doing today?

Russell Dawkins

One of the designers of the legendary K-1000 specialized in diaphragm design for AKG mics and he designed the dome element for the K-1000 which, 28 years after it first went on the market at the then-shocking price of $1000, still sells used for well over $1000 in good condition.
A couple of years ago, he re-emerged on a forum thread discussing this headphone and let it be know that he and some colleagues were in the final stages of designing a contemporary version. They showed it at RMAF to good response:

Here's the original. The new one shares the same basic design principles.

Here's the fledgling company's website:  www.mysphere.at
and their recent newsletter: http://www.lb-acoustics.at/lb-acoustics_de/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Mysphere-3.1-Newsletter-October-2017.pdf

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Great found, 3500 to 4500EU is not cheap, the rocket HP prices attract many new manufacturers.

dB Cooper

I'd have to hear it (I think it will be on hand at CAF, and I will try to have a listen if so). Not sure I agree with the concept; seems more like a pair of mini monitors hung on your head than a headphone. At some point the compromises involved in trying to be a headphone and a pair of near field mini-monitors at the same time... Something's gotta give. Since there's obviously zero isolation for the listener or anyone in the vicinity, consider that the equivalent  $4100 to $5300 these are projected to cost would buy you one seriously impressive pair of nearfield mini monitors. But I still would like to hear them because, hell, I'm an audiophile....