How can I get Chrome Web-based audio/streaming to play through a USB DAC?

dburna

I'm sure there's some extremely simple answer here, but I have been unable to figure out how to get Chrome Web-based audio out from my MacBook Pro to an iFi iDSD Micro DAC.  I can play music fine.  I have system sounds played through the DAC.  But when I try to play music from my Chrome browser through this DAC (e.g. Amazon mp3 samples, SoundCloud, Bandcamp) -- silence.  Haven't been able to figure out if the Chrome setting that I need to flip....and if so, which one.  Note: Chrome plays fine if the Mac Pro is playing through the computer speakers -- this seems to be strictly an issue with Chrome and an external USB DAC.  Also, this problem doesn't exist using Safari -- all Web-based sounds/music play just fine through the USB DAC.

Thanks to anyone who can provide an answer.  This is clearly not a connection issue since I am able to play through iTunes/JRiver and get the system sounds to play.  It's a setting somewhere in Chrome (most likely), I just can't figure out where.

Regards,  -dB

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
The short answer is it will not work per the Chrome help sited I used a while back.   If I recall the only USB port is a micro for charging. 

I did a quick G search and came up with no help. 

Alan.   https://www.google.com/amp/allaboutchromecast.com/chromecast-audio-guides/chromecast-vs-chromecast-audio-which-one-is-for-you/amp/?client=ms-android-verizon

srb

To see if a browser extension may be blocking USB sound output, click the hamburger button in Chrome and open a new incognito window, load up one of your web sources and see if there is still no sound.

Steve

dburna

To see if a browser extension may be blocking USB sound output, click the hamburger button in Chrome and open a new incognito window, load up one of your web sources and see if there is still no sound.

Steve

Was worth a try, but Amazon samples still won't play under Chrome via an Incognito window, so I'm guessing that browser extensions are not the problem.

For the time being, I guess I'll just open a Safari window to listen to anything in a Web browser.

-dB

Doublej

Have you confirmed that your USB DAC is selected for

System Preferences > Sound > Output.

You set the output device for Sound Effect and Sound separately.

Doublej

BTW when I tried to play Amazon samples through Chrome I received a message saying flash is being blocked. I unblocked flash and all is good.

Can you play a SoundCloud cut or Internet Radio Stations such as WBGO through Chrome?

dburna

Have you confirmed that your USB DAC is selected for

System Preferences > Sound > Output.

You set the output device for Sound Effect and Sound separately.

Yes, I have set both correctly.  That's why I can play both iTunes/JRiver and get system sounds out to through the USB device. For some reason, Chrome is the only application exhibiting this bad/uncooperative behavior.

-dB

dburna

BTW when I tried to play Amazon samples through Chrome I received a message saying flash is being blocked. I unblocked flash and all is good.

Can you play a SoundCloud cut or Internet Radio Stations such as WBGO through Chrome?

Tried a SoundCloud cut to no avail.

-dB

Doublej

So you are not getting any sounds in Chrome?

Perhaps this thread will be useful to you.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/RR7hyy0V7Io