How to reassemble Sennheiser HD800 earpiece that fell off?

krustykat

In day 2 of my ownership of a brand new set of Sennheiser HD800 headphones, the right earcup fell off the headphone band.  A silver headed bolt (without threads) fell out and a spring with a piece of foam was wedged inside the earcup near where the bolt would go through for reassembly.  I reassembled the earcup to the headband, but didn't know where the spring with the small piece of foam should go.  Does anybody know the purpose of this spring and how to reassemble it back into the headphone properly?

dB Cooper

Re: How to reassemble Sennheiser HD800 earpiece that fell off?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2016, 08:52 pm »
I would contact whoever you bought them from and exchange them. You shouldn't need to "service" a two-day-old $1500 headphone. Put the loose parts in a ziplock bag with the 800's and send them back for a new pair. Your call obviously, but thats what I think I'd do.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2016, 09:44 pm »
The purpose of the spring is made pressure to fasten without kneading/screw up.
Follow this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/503058/how-to-remove-hd800-ear-pads-finally-i-figured-how
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2016, 11:11 pm by FullRangeMan »

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2016, 12:21 am »
You shouldn't have to figure out how to "fix" your brand new high end headphones. Send them back for replacement continues to be my recommendation.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2016, 01:48 am by dB Cooper »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2016, 03:24 pm »
You shouldn't have to figure out how to "fix" your brand new high end headphones. Send them back for replacement continues to be my recommendation.
+1 Ask for replacement, Sennheiser is a huge profits company.

krustykat

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2016, 03:49 pm »
The spring in question looks like a spring from a ball point pen.  The headphones are back together without the spring and don't appear to have any problems.  The bolt looks like it is supposed to pop out to allow disassembly and it seemed to go back in securely.  If it falls apart again, I'll send it back. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2016, 05:36 pm »
Glad to hear that. Enjoy. Did you get the 'HD800' or the 'HD800S' version?

krustykat

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2016, 06:17 pm »
Good news.  The mounting bolt kept falling out of the headband, so I had to take further action.  I contacted Sennheiser customer support and explained my problem to them.  They mailed me a small repair kit titled "Mounting set yoke-headband (pair) for HD 800" , Prod Code: 534420.  This kit consisted of a two plastic bags of parts, one for each ear cup.  Each bag contained a mounting bolt, two plastic sockets (to hold the bolt, top and bottom)  and a spring with foam.  Unfortunately, it just came as a plastic bag with the pieces and no explanation how to install it.  After another couple of calls with Sennheiser, the customer service manager copied and emailed a couple pages from a service manual that gave step by step instructions describing exactly how to put it all together.  It took about 3 minutes to put it together once I understood what all of the pieces were for.   The instructions also indicate that you should always replace the plastic sockets after disassembly as the sockets spread after the bolt is forced into them and cannot be reused.   The spring and foam are used to dampen the swivel of the headpiece and were simply installed on a plastic X on the headpiece.  Hope this helps anyone who's HD800 falls apart like mine did. 

Did you get the 'HD800' or the 'HD800S' version?
Hi dB, my headphones are the plain HD800 version which I got it on sale, probably because of the new HD800S.

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2016, 12:08 am »
All's well that ends well.

In a perfect world, Sennheiser would offer an upgrade service 800 to 800S. Aside from the finish, I believe the only changes are in the drivers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2016, 10:47 am »
All's well that ends well.

In a perfect world, Sennheiser would offer an upgrade service 800 to 800S. Aside from the finish, I believe the only changes are in the drivers.
The drivers are the same, the only change are the acoustics clothing around the drivers as anaxilis mod and the black colour.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

DogsPart2

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2017, 02:13 pm »
Glad I found this topic as I recently purchased a new pair of HD800.
Upon listening with them for about 2 hours the right earpiece mounting bolt came loose.

I returned them and am waiting for a new pair.

Fantastic headphone.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2017, 03:59 pm »
I own HD600, 580's, several portables and a set of wireless for my daughter.  I have no complaints at all about sound quality but I won't buy Sennheiser any more due to build quality.  My 600's don't get a lot of use yet the foam in the head band has already broke down, the foam in both pairs has decentigrated,  the wireless didn't last very long, I've had friends who have had quality issues as well.  The market for good sounding headphones provides a lot of options these days to have to deal with this.

Prior to moving to Senn I had a set of AKG for probably 20 years, I think I eventually gave them away.  I take good care of my stuff and expect it to last longer than the Sennheiser did, maybe not 20 years but a better showing than I  got.

As expensive as the 800's are they shouldn't just be falling apart. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2017, 05:10 pm »
So far 3 years my inexpensive made in China HE400 are perfect.

DogsPart2

« Reply #13 on: 18 Nov 2017, 10:35 pm »

As expensive as the 800's are they shouldn't just be falling apart.

Agree. My HD650s have been flawless. If the  replacement 800s have any issues, back they go and it's possibly hello Focal.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2017, 10:47 pm »
These defective HD800 are not factory rejected QC or B stock?

DogsPart2

« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2017, 03:05 pm »
Confirmed brand new and purchased from an authorized dealer.

Not b stock.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2017, 05:22 pm »
Confirmed brand new and purchased from an authorized dealer.

Not b stock.
Understood. As this occurs sporadically from time to time it came to forums I asked if the factory fails in quality control, even the assemblers being highly paid in a fat salary in Euros.