Furutech GTX

dpatters

Furutech GTX
« on: 9 Jul 2015, 12:32 pm »
It sounds like a few of us have ordered the Furutech GTX outlets from Dave.  I received an email from him
yesterday afternoon and he asked that we post our impressions here. I just thought I would start things
off as I await delivery.  I will be upgrading from an Acme Audio silver plated cryo'd outlet - not from a standard
builder grade outlet. My power delivery will  be as follows:

Furutech GTX-Gold
+7 TWL PC
UberBuss
monoblocks into Uber
Furman Elte 15pfi into Uber
Front end components into Furman
All other PCs are Cullen Cable Crossover

For a listing of components see my system page.

Hope to see other contributions.

Don P.

Early B.

Re: Furutech GTX
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2015, 12:50 pm »
CORRECTION:  I ordered a GTX-Gold from Dave and it arrives tomorrow. I also made a spur-of-the-moment purchase of another Gold version which I'll install on the wall. I'll start with the wall install only so I can hear what each of the GTX outlets are contributing to the sound.

« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2015, 11:28 pm by Early B. »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jul 2015, 03:25 pm »
I ordered a GTX-Gold from Dave and it arrives tomorrow. I also made a spur-of-the-moment purchase of a Rhodium version which I'll install on the wall. The gold version will go on the MiniBuss for the front end gear, but I'll start with the wall install only so I can hear what each of the GTX outlets are contributing to the sound.
You will find the different platings to have different sonics.  These are the seasonings that we can use to voice a system.  Kind of like the difference between cayenne and ghost peppers  :o

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jul 2015, 03:33 pm »
It sounds like a few of us have ordered the Furutech GTX outlets from Dave.  I received an email from him
yesterday afternoon and he asked that we post our impressions here. I just thought I would start things
off as I await delivery.  I will be upgrading from an Acme Audio silver plated cryo'd outlet - not from a standard
builder grade outlet. My power delivery will  be as follows:

Furutech GTX-Gold
+7 TWL PC
UberBuss
monoblocks into Uber
Furman Elte 15pfi into Uber
Front end components into Furman
All other PCs are Cullen Cable Crossover

For a listing of components see my system page.

Hope to see other contributions.

Don P.
Hopefully other users will chime in, too.

As a recovering flat-earthed I can say that I had no idea wall receptacles could evoke the changes to SQ that they do.  My journey on the power delivery hardware side (receptacles, plugs et al) started when I auditioned all of the available commercial receptacles to replace the Levity quad that was in the original MajikBUSS.  I bought a couple of everything I could find.  I took one of each apart to see how they are built and then listened to them in circuit on my old Cary system.  To say I was shocked is a minor understatement.  Who knew?

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2015, 03:39 pm »
You will find the different platings to have different sonics.  These are the seasonings that we can use to voice a system.  Kind of like the difference between cayenne and ghost peppers  :o

Yeah, the GTX Gold on the MiniBuss will offer some options for determining which components are best suited for it. For now, I think I'll leave the Maestro unused on the wall. This will allow me to switch back and forth between the GTX and Maestro so I can hear the differences.
« Last Edit: 9 Jul 2015, 11:29 pm by Early B. »

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2015, 04:36 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to AC and glad to be a part of this discussion.

I also bought a GTX Gold and will receive it on Monday.  My plan is to install into the wall (on a dedicated circuit) where it will draw the most current during break-in.  I will then experiment with positioning after that.  Here's my setup:

- GTX-D Gold at wall (currently a Maestro)
- Mongo/MPC power cord from wall to UberBUSS (Neutrik Powercon)
- Two Maestro, Two stock P&S outlets in UberBUSS (Maestro's not yet installed, currently using P&S outlets)
- Baetis Music Server and a Schiit Gungnir DAC are plugged into a CyberPower UPS, which is then plugged into the 2nd wall outlet next to Mongo/MPC (bypasses Uber)
- Decware SE84CKCS amp and two Rythmik plate amps are plugged into UberBUSS

I will experiment with best positioning of Maestros and the GTX after I'm comfortable the GTX has settled in.

I was very, very reluctant to order the Rhodium version.  I don't know what it was, but I once had Grover Huffman PCs that used Rhodium plating and I strongly disliked them.

Rob

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2015, 04:50 pm »
I prefer the rhodium version, people are scared of it because other companies' rhodium plated parts might not sound good. Now, if you're going with the FPX, which uses phosphor bronze, than the rhodium plating may be a little more aggressive sounding and I think the gold plated version is a little better. But for any of the "Alpha Copper" Furutech connectors, including the GTX, the rhodium plating ends up more neutral and resolving and the gold plating is more on the warm side. Adding warmth using passive parts does sacrifice resolution and I think you'll find the rhodium GTX a better overall performer vs the gold plated version. I don't even carry the gold plated version... But either way the GTX is head-and-shoulders better than any other receptacle and it makes a very noticeable difference in my system. I highly recommend getting at least one to put in the wall to feed your power distributor, and even better if you order the wall plate and stainless steel/carbon fiber cover for them too.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2015, 04:59 pm »
The couple of GTX-D Rhodium receptacles I have inserted has actually taken away any glare or thin sound I might have had before. The amount of detail is amazing for "just" being a receptacle.

dpatters

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2015, 05:05 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to AC and glad to be a part of this discussion.

I also bought a GTX Gold and will receive it on Monday.  My plan is to install into the wall (on a dedicated circuit) where it will draw the most current during break-in.  I will then experiment with positioning after that.  Here's my setup:

- GTX-D Gold at wall (currently a Maestro)
- Mongo/MPC power cord from wall to UberBUSS (Neutrik Powercon)
- Two Maestro, Two stock P&S outlets in UberBUSS (Maestro's not yet installed, currently using P&S outlets)
- Baetis Music Server and a Schiit Gungnir DAC are plugged into a CyberPower UPS, which is then plugged into the 2nd wall outlet next to Mongo/MPC (bypasses Uber)
- Decware SE84CKCS amp and two Rythmik plate amps are plugged into UberBUSS

I will experiment with best positioning of Maestros and the GTX after I'm comfortable the GTX has settled in.

I was very, very reluctant to order the Rhodium version.  I don't know what it was, but I once had Grover Huffman PCs that used Rhodium plating and I strongly disliked them.

Rob
Welcome to AC Rob!

Lots of great folks on this forum. I've learned a lot and have purchased quite a bit of equipment from the industry participants.

Don P.

dpatters

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2015, 05:13 pm »
The couple of GTX-D Rhodium receptacles I have inserted has actually taken away any glare or thin sound I might have had before. The amount of detail is amazing for "just" being a receptacle.
I'm glad these have worked out for you. I'm anxious to get mine installed.  I haven't heard anything negative on the Rhodium version at all.  I decided to go with the gold after consulting
with Dave of PI.  The UberBuss is probably one of the best investments I have made in my system and I put great faith in Dave's advice.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!

Don P.

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2015, 05:54 pm »
I prefer the rhodium version, people are scared of it because other companies' rhodium plated parts might not sound good. Now, if you're going with the FPX, which uses phosphor bronze, than the rhodium plating may be a little more aggressive sounding and I think the gold plated version is a little better. But for any of the "Alpha Copper" Furutech connectors, including the GTX, the rhodium plating ends up more neutral and resolving and the gold plating is more on the warm side. Adding warmth using passive parts does sacrifice resolution and I think you'll find the rhodium GTX a better overall performer vs the gold plated version. I don't even carry the gold plated version... But either way the GTX is head-and-shoulders better than any other receptacle and it makes a very noticeable difference in my system. I highly recommend getting at least one to put in the wall to feed your power distributor, and even better if you order the wall plate and stainless steel/carbon fiber cover for them too.

Thank you so much for your input, Dave.  It would be smart of me to buy a Rhodium and listen to it before making assumptions.  If you could hear that PC I had though, ice picks...

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2015, 05:55 pm »
Welcome to AC Rob!

Lots of great folks on this forum. I've learned a lot and have purchased quite a bit of equipment from the industry participants.

Don P.

Thank you Don!  Purchasing is always the risk, isn't it?  We play with fire knowing we'll get burned ;-)

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2015, 07:33 pm »
Here's a couple pics, I took some of the cover and plate but I'll spare you those!  :green:   The construction is very heavy duty and the plastic body has damping materials added to it. The pure copper contacts use a stainless spring to give the required clamping force on the male prongs.

kenreau

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2015, 09:05 pm »
Nice.  Can this GTX receptacle be modified and split in to two separate outlets?  i.e. is there a removable common power connecting tab?

Thx
Kenreau

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jul 2015, 09:53 pm »
The very similar Cooper 5252 can be split.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #15 on: 9 Jul 2015, 10:17 pm »
Nice.  Can this GTX receptacle be modified and split in to two separate outlets?  i.e. is there a removable common power connecting tab?

Thx
Kenreau
Kinda.  It is not for the faint of heart to do so.  There is no exposed screwdriver tab to do this.  I do it a lot, but it takes practice and a deft hand with a Dremel tool or a 1/16" or 3/32" end mill, which works the best.  It can also be done with a 1/16" drill bit in a drill press and simply nibble the strap away.  A man can do about anything given the proper incentive.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 9 Jul 2015, 10:23 pm »
The very similar Cooper 5252 can be split.
So can the Pass & Seymour and Hubbell devices and about any other commercial/industrial receptacle out there.

When it comes to metallurgy, contact pressure, plating and overall construction, not to mention SQ, there is no comparison.  It is like a knock-off Rolex looks exactly like a Rolex does not make it a Rolex.  When it comes to SQ?  Worlds apart.

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2015, 03:31 am »
Well, I just ordered a GTX-D (R) from Dave.  Looks like I'll have a comparo with the Gold to share later!  Quick shout out to all the enablers out there... ;-)

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2015, 03:41 am »
Well, I just ordered a GTX-D (R) from Dave.  Looks like I'll have a comparo with the Gold to share later!  Quick shout out to all the enablers out there... ;-)

:thumb:

dpatters

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2015, 11:52 am »

Received my Furutech GTX Gold Friday when I got home form work.  Installed it on Saturday but since it
was Arts Festival weekend in State College didn't really get to do any listening.  I've left the TV on to
help get things settled.  I'll report back in a couple of days.

Don P.