hdtracks, miles davis and RVG

ricko01

hdtracks, miles davis and RVG
« on: 11 May 2015, 06:32 am »
I recently signed up for Tidal which has afforded me the chance to listen to some old Miles Davis stuff in CD quality ...namely all the old mono Prestige stuff starting in the '50's

Having listened to these albums over Tidal, I have a question about the RVG reissues relative to HDTracks.

Picking say The Birth of the Cool (which is RVG on tidal), RVG remastered this album in 1998, which included the live tracks from the Royal Roost.

HDTracks has just the studio tracks in 96/24 and 192/24 with a Release Date of 2013.

So two questions:

(1) who did the mastering of this 2013 release
(2) is this 2013 release better than the RVG in 1998 (noting the criticism some have about some RVG remasters being too bright etc)

Or putting it another way, what is the provenance of the HDTrack album... given I can find no reference to a recent remastering on Google.

As HDTracks has several 96/24 and 192/24  recent Miles Davis releases, if they are better than what RVG has done, then I will purchase them.

Thanks,

Peter

ricko01

Re: hdtracks, miles davis and RVG
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2015, 07:14 am »
Might have partially answered my question.

Sometime between 1998 and 2001, the original 78 masters of Birth of the Cool were found so RVG redid the mastering off them.

However... how did we get from there to the 2013 hi-res HDtracks release?

Peter