UberBuss verses ?

Folsom

Re: UberBuss verses ?
« Reply #80 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:40 pm »
Couldn't you just measure with a multimeter before opening? I use discharge resistors that are good with under a second. Unfortunately they're warm, so probably not fit for a case that size. However they mount on the chassis, so that helps dissipate heat. They're 50w, but only bleed a couple watts a piece. They seem perfectly reliable. I don't know what yours are, but it's nice to not have to worry. I suppose in a PFC network their values may be a determinate, however.

Folsom

« Reply #81 on: 29 Jun 2015, 05:45 pm »
Does anyone know the sonic differences between the Furutech rhodium vs. gold plated copper version?

A guy I know used one of Oyaide's high end ones with rhodium. He said the difference was immediate, and the grip is ridiculous. Gold isn't as tough so the grip probably won't be as good, or last as long. I'd be worried about that over performance.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #82 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:00 pm »
Does anyone know the sonic differences between the Furutech rhodium vs. gold plated copper version?
This is IME.  YMMV, but seems to be fairly consistent system to system:

Gold plating - warm, big , round and luscious mids.  MADE for female vocals.  Very smooth highs, bell like

Rhodium plating - best term I can use is "precise".  Not overly bright, but clarity out the wazoo.  Created for detail fanatics and music lovers with systems that are not on the verge of bright.

These are general comments on the plating only.  There is a pretty big difference between the beryllium copper of the FPX series and the pure copper of the GTX's.  The GTX is simply the best receptacle I have ever used.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #83 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:21 pm »
A guy I know used one of Oyaide's high end ones with rhodium. He said the difference was immediate, and the grip is ridiculous. Gold isn't as tough so the grip probably won't be as good, or last as long. I'd be worried about that over performance.
Furutech uses a stainless steel spring system to maintain jaw stiffness.  Grip like a gila monster.

There other things about plating on Furutech.  I have looked at their plating under magnification.  The FPX series is OK.  The base metal buffed finish is not as good as in the GTX.  The GTX plating/polish is flawless.  With the spring system and the smoothness of the substrate and the plating a comparable plug can be plugged and unplugged a lot without ever seeing a scar in the plating.

Early B.

« Reply #84 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:50 pm »
Furutech uses a stainless steel spring system to maintain jaw stiffness.  Grip like a gila monster.

There other things about plating on Furutech.  I have looked at their plating under magnification.  The FPX series is OK.  The base metal buffed finish is not as good as in the GTX.  The GTX plating/polish is flawless.  With the spring system and the smoothness of the substrate and the plating a comparable plug can be plugged and unplugged a lot without ever seeing a scar in the plating.

If using a single GTX outlet, would you recommend that it go on the wall or on the Uberbuss to power front end equipment?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #85 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:09 pm »
If using a single GTX outlet, would you recommend that it go on the wall or on the Uberbuss to power front end equipment?
Easy call for me.  Since I've heard them all and what they do for an already very good system  I'd put it in the wall and get that goodness to all of the gear.  That predisposes some things like cabling, but yep : The wall.

Early B.

« Reply #86 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:15 pm »
Easy call for me.  Since I've heard them all and what they do for an already very good system  I'd put it in the wall and get that goodness to all of the gear.  That predisposes some things like cabling, but yep : The wall.

OK, since 95% of my listening is female vocals, I'm gonna trust your judgment, Dave, and try the gold version and report back.  My Uberness is currently plugged into a Maestro on the wall.

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #87 on: 6 Jul 2015, 09:49 pm »
Hey guys,

I also have an UberBUSS plugged into a Maestro outlet at the wall.  About 5 mins ago I ordered a GTX-D Gold from The Cable Company and will be swapping it into the wall first.  I have two Maestro outlets I can move into the UberBUSS to replace the stock P&S, but I have no idea how to do this.  Hopefully it is intuitive.

Rob

robin67

« Reply #88 on: 7 Jul 2015, 02:46 pm »
I am using a GTX (R) in wall  its just awesome

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #89 on: 8 Jul 2015, 06:01 pm »
Hey guys,

I also have an UberBUSS plugged into a Maestro outlet at the wall.  About 5 mins ago I ordered a GTX-D Gold from The Cable Company and will be swapping it into the wall first.  I have two Maestro outlets I can move into the UberBUSS to replace the stock P&S, but I have no idea how to do this.  Hopefully it is intuitive.

Rob
Here you go:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135519.msg1439950#msg1439950

nrenter

« Reply #90 on: 28 Jul 2015, 09:40 pm »
Any thoughts on the Ayre L-5xe?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #91 on: 28 Jul 2015, 10:53 pm »
Any thoughts on the Ayre L-5xe?

Nope.  Not a clue.  I know of no one using it and I haven't heard one. :dunno:

Folsom

« Reply #92 on: 28 Jul 2015, 11:08 pm »
Well it looks to be just 4 air coils... there's no ferrite material supposedly, so they must be core-less. Their overall filtration couldn't be much.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #93 on: 28 Jul 2015, 11:47 pm »
Well it looks to be just 4 air coils... there's no ferrite material supposedly, so they must be core-less. Their overall filtration couldn't be much.
I know I have seen those inductors in the past.  I remember the orange bobbins.  I just can't remember where.   :scratch:  Been a long time...

Folsom

« Reply #94 on: 28 Jul 2015, 11:50 pm »
Right, I gave up quickly because I'm uninterested in such a devices that does so little.

If for some magical reason it could get 2mh or better, I'd be interested, so long as the DC ohm was low enough.