Some jazz is just fun to listen to...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Some jazz is just fun to listen to...
« on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:21 am »
I'm listening to Oscar Peterson's History of an Artist on Pablo thinking what fun this stuff is.  Easy, cool but up beat,  maybe not avant garde but damn if it isn't toe tappin'  music.   Miles is great stuff, but sooo serious.  Brubeck can be playful at times, Sonny R sometimes. 

Who brings a smile to your face and movement to your feet?

srb

Re: Some jazz is just fun to listen to...
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:40 am »
Monty Alexander and Red Garland.  Like Oscar, love those melodic chops.

Steve

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2014, 04:15 am »
Monty Alexander and Red Garland.  Like Oscar, love those melodic chops.

Steve
Nice call. Just pulled Monty to hear Come Fly Away. Nice.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2014, 01:24 pm »
I'm listening to Oscar Peterson's History of an Artist on Pablo thinking what fun this stuff is.  Easy, cool but up beat,  maybe not avant garde but damn if it isn't toe tappin'  music.   Miles is great stuff, but sooo serious.  Brubeck can be playful at times, Sonny R sometimes. 

Sahib Shihab and The Danish Radio Jazz Group on an Octav label CD (may be ordered via Amazon, me thinks) is full of positive energy and vivid, clean sound to boot what "brings a smile to your face and movement to your feet".  It's just plum cooks and is a fine, fine time! 
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2014, 05:15 pm by jimdgoulding »

Gzerro

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2014, 03:54 pm »

Oscar has great drive and pace and is always fun to listen to. Follow him around in combination with some other greats:

Ben Webster Quintet Soulville or Oscar Peterson Meets Ben Webster
Very Tall - Oscar Peterson with Milt Jackson
Jazz Giants '58 - (Stan Gets, Sweets Edison, Herb Ellis plus the Oscar Peterson Trio)
Oscar backing Billie Holiday on "Recital" and a few others.
Ella and Oscar

Dozens of others, those are just a few of my favorite records featuring Oscar.

Chazro

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2014, 04:55 pm »
The 1st record that sprung to my mind is the Waverley Seven - 'Yo Bobby!'.  A tribute to the songs by Bobby Darin!  Sounds silly but it's really a 5 star Jazz record!  The CD's (it's a double!) are printed to look like LP's and features a group of young lions that I've become a big fan of led by the incredible Anat Cohen.  I'mtellin'ya, great music, recorded impeccably, and truly tons of fun!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2014, 05:08 pm »
    Gerry Mulligan and Paul Desmond; Two of a Mind

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Mind-Paul-Desmond/dp/B003O5MNRG/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1413303829&sr=1-2&keywords=gerry+mulligan+and+paul+desmond

Zoot Sims and Joe Pass Blues For Two

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Two-Sims/dp/B000000YU2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1413303981&sr=1-1&keywords=Zoot+Sims+and+Joe+Pass
Have mercy, Miss Percy . . where have YOU been???  I have missed my jazz and world music lovin friend.   

All ya'll, I didn't mention that the Shihab disc above is live in the studio.  I'm serious when I say that you should join in.  It's a blast!