Bowed Bass Jazz Solos - WTF?

rockadanny

Bowed Bass Jazz Solos - WTF?
« on: 1 May 2014, 10:28 pm »
Anybody else bugged by most bowed bass jazz solos? :evil:

To me, they always drag down the groove. They rarely (never?) add any value to the tune for me. :nono:  And I am ALWAYS glad when they are over.

Also, anyone know if they are EVER specifically called for by the music arranger, writer, or band leader? Or they always the bass players attempt at mutiny? :scratch:

santacore

Re: Bowed Bass Jazz Solos - WTF?
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2014, 10:39 pm »
As a counterpoint, I actually really like them. I dig strings snuck into Jazz/Rock/Pop projects. Different strokes....

Quiet Earth

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2014, 10:57 pm »

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2014, 11:19 pm »

Even on this release, the leader (Doug Watkins) plays cello, and also has a bass player (Herman Wright), yet they both refrain from the bow. And it sounds wonderful. (Although, I'd have not minded had Doug bowed the cello. But am glad Herman refrained.)

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2014, 11:21 pm »
Different strokes....

Certainly understand and respect that Santa.

rockadanny

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2014, 11:22 pm »
And in reply to Quiet Earth ... nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2014, 12:32 am »
Most jazz bassists can't do arco (bowed) justice.  And pizzicato (plucked) bass strings usually sound terrible with a bow.  And Jazzers usually get their bows rehaired only every 10 years or so.  And the rosin they use was given to them on their 12th birthday 40 years ago.  So given all that, what's not to love?    :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2014, 01:53 am »
And pizzicato (plucked) bass strings usually sound terrible with a bow. 
I don't get this. Do you mean pizzicato sounds terrible while the player is holding a bow, or are you talking about spiccato?

terry parr

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2014, 03:51 am »
i know what the op is saying here.  we've all heard the fast-sawing on a up-tempo tune, where the bassist is trying to demonstrate just how many discernable notes he can fit into the measure, while still staying in time.  and this type of solo comes right in the middle of the piece,  and serves to "break up the rhythmic feel".  it can sound disruptive, and sound like a distraction.

however, it depends.

on a slow-moving ballad (which still may have a rhythmic feel established, just at a slower tempo), a well-done arco solo could be welcome to hear. it all depends on what musical elements comes before and what comes after. (or does it sound sudden, and jarring and therefore sounding "out of place".) 

it can be very natural-sounding and actually add to the overall flow of the piece though,  instead of seeming to detract from it. 

i'm thinking of an example of this type of solo done well, and the first example that comes to mind is the bassist putter smith. (heard with alan broadbent). 

to me, it depends.   
« Last Edit: 2 May 2014, 04:51 am by terry parr »

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2014, 10:50 am »
I don't get this. Do you mean pizzicato sounds terrible while the player is holding a bow, or are you talking about spiccato?

No.  The brands of strings that sound great for jazz pizz usually sound terrible with a bow and vice versa.

rockadanny

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2014, 12:53 pm »
Cannot recall any I like yet. I am often jarred by both the sudden (seemingly) slower speed of the bow drag vs. the established swing/bounce of the groove, and also sometimes it's scratchiness/sharpness interrupting the established golden hue (roundness) of the tones set by the other instruments.

bajaed

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2014, 04:01 pm »
Not bowed but I really like this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pyUZh_Cbw6Q

PSB Guy

« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2014, 04:40 pm »
I really like Mr. Chambers arco work on this album:

Cornelis

rockadanny

« Reply #13 on: 2 May 2014, 06:43 pm »
I have always wanted to check out that recording. Thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 2 May 2014, 07:46 pm »
Most jazz bassists can't do arco (bowed) justice.  And pizzicato (plucked) bass strings usually sound terrible with a bow.  And Jazzers usually get their bows rehaired only every 10 years or so.  And the rosin they use was given to them on their 12th birthday 40 years ago.  So given all that, what's not to love?    :thumb:
Maybe Eddie Gomez do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sInm1EpGX4Q

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

simoon

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2014, 09:09 pm »
I will have to respectfully disagree.

I love bowed bass in jazz.

Eberhard Weber is a master with the bow as heard on most of his recordings.

Glen Moore from the band Oregon is another that uses it to great affect.

Paul Chambers, as already mentioned.

I'm sure there are others.

Chazro

« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2014, 09:29 pm »
My least favorite type of solo, live or recorded, electric or acoustic, is the bass solo.  I remember seeing Return To Forever once a long time ago and they broke up the set into 3 parts: electric, acoustic, and back to electric and during Stanley Clarke's acoustic solo he broke out the bow.  I have to admit it was pretty darn impressive!  Otherwise, it's generally a bore.  I own a few Christian McBride records where he does it right, but.....

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 2 May 2014, 10:03 pm »
For a great bow player I would suggest Gary Karr:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAbtqJxWlhc
He may play Jazz I sure, in the end that is all music;

Ericus Rex

« Reply #19 on: 3 May 2014, 10:53 am »
Maybe Eddie Gomez do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sInm1EpGX4Q

I had to turn that one off midway through his first solo.  His intonation was horrendous.