Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server

noiseless

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES Music Server
« Reply #80 on: 26 Feb 2014, 02:08 pm »
I heard a pretty significant improvement as the unit broke in.  It has about a week on it now.

Gearplay, I see you are selling or already sold your Z1ES.
Could you share with us is it because of poor quality or features, please?
Thanks,
Ivo

smargo

« Reply #81 on: 27 Feb 2014, 05:11 pm »

right now im in the mode of keeping all the processing (dsd and dsee) on - but because im neurotic  -  it could change again

so its thursday - the player is really good - i cant imagine anyone not liking the unit - especially if they want a one box fit and forget and can afford $2000

break- in is real - much to the chagrin of frank van alstine (he will argue that it doesnt exist)

its so nice to have so many songs - in all different formats - at the touch of my fingertips - without having to change a disk each time - but i can only say this because the sound quality is very good

i like the dsee feature for non dsd music - over the last 2 days i have used dsee but have kept the upsampling to dsd off ( i might put it back on) - it so changes - depending on what you hear - its not such a black or white thing.

each song on a album can be recorded differently - you can be neurotic all you want or not - its up to you

Are songs that are recorded in dsd a panacea? Again it depends on how it was recorded - so as an example the Shelby Lynne (Just a Little Lovin) - to my knowledge not recorded originally in dsd but converted to dsd by Acoustic Sounds (super hirez downloads) - sounds amazing - as does the Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto (The Girl from Impanena)

But the "Acoustic Trio DSD Sessions" that was recorded originally in dsd by nativedsd.com sounds just ok - Not bad or anything - but not - "oh my god"

so a little update on my progress

Brad

« Reply #82 on: 27 Feb 2014, 05:19 pm »
That Shelby Lynn recording was ANALOG, iirc.

I have the Getz/Gilberto DSD and that is also an excellent recording.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Sony

Not sure how this was putting words in someone's mouth or somehow offensive, but comments retracted.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2014, 08:31 pm by Brad »

brj

« Reply #83 on: 27 Feb 2014, 05:22 pm »
Please limit any comments to facts and your own opinions, without putting words in anyone else's mouth.

Thank you.

nickd

« Reply #84 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:31 pm »
Thinking about one of these too. can live with no digital in and out. Is it true that volume control feature only works with other Sony products?

Factorz

« Reply #85 on: 27 Feb 2014, 07:33 pm »
Quick question. Does this unit have the ability to do any streaming with services like Beats or Spotify?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #86 on: 27 Feb 2014, 09:58 pm »
That Shelby Lynn recording was ANALOG, iirc.

I have the Getz/Gilberto DSD and that is also an excellent recording.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Sony

Not sure how this was putting words in someone's mouth or somehow offensive, but comments retracted.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the Frank comment by smargo.

smargo

« Reply #87 on: 27 Feb 2014, 10:53 pm »
Quick question. Does this unit have the ability to do any streaming with services like Beats or Spotify?

Im not sure - maybe someone else can respond - im gonna say i dont think it can - the only thing that so far i can see is that

you can

1. rip cd's to your computer or if you already have music files ripped - or if files or cd's are ripped on an attached drive to your computer - then download them into the sony (wired or wireless)

2. attach (wired) an external hard drive to the usb 2.0 port in back of the unit - in other words the sony will see that drive as well as its own internal drive (not sure how much storage you can add) - i know the external drive has to be formatted.

3. download music from a download site - such as hd tracks - hi rez downloads - native dsd - etc onto your computer or attached drive -  then download them into the sony (wire or wireless)

"Is it true that volume control feature only works with other Sony products?" - (this was asked by nicd)

you can use the volume control to connect to an amplifier that is not a sony - im sure of this

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #88 on: 27 Feb 2014, 11:34 pm »

"Is it true that volume control feature only works with other Sony products?" - (this was asked by nicd)

you can use the volume control to connect to an amplifier that is not a sony - im sure of this

Can you explain how? I was trying to figure this out the other day.

nickd

« Reply #89 on: 27 Feb 2014, 11:48 pm »
Thanks Smargo,

Most current DAC's have volume control on the chip. I thought it was unusual to only control Sony products.

harri009, are you using the phone or tablet app to control the Sony? I would think there is a slider volume control in the screen somewhere.

I read somewhere it would play internet radio, I think that would include Pandora and spotify and those services. On the Sonos players, they add stations with software when they have finalized the graphics and tested the interface. I would assume the Sony is similar.

smargo

« Reply #90 on: 27 Feb 2014, 11:51 pm »
Can you explain how? I was trying to figure this out the other day.

ok - here is the link by sony that tells you how to do this - this is word for word by sony

http://docs.esupport.sony.com/homeav/Hi-Res_Audio/HAPZ1ES_guide/en/contents/TP0000221999.html

Ric Schultz

« Reply #91 on: 27 Feb 2014, 11:59 pm »
The volume control is for use with integrated amps (Sony or other) that have a built in remote function.  I don't believe the Sony can drive an amp (basic/non-integrated) directly.  My optional mods will allow this (built-in remote volume control).

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #92 on: 28 Feb 2014, 12:20 am »
I believe Ric may be correct.  I had already read the manual and led me no where

OzarkTom

« Reply #93 on: 5 Mar 2014, 11:26 pm »
I emailed Sony about adjusting the volume with the remote and this is their response.

I understand that you wish to obtain the information about the software update of the HDD Audio Player.

Currently we don't have any information about the software update of the HDD Audio Player.  If any update is released in this regard, it will be posted on our support website  below.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #94 on: 6 Mar 2014, 01:06 am »
I emailed Sony about adjusting the volume with the remote and this is their response.

I understand that you wish to obtain the information about the software update of the HDD Audio Player.

Currently we don't have any information about the software update of the HDD Audio Player.  If any update is released in this regard, it will be posted on our support website  below.

Well, if they are going to implement a volume control in the HAP-Z1ES, it would have to be in the digital domain because there isn't one
in the analog output stage. 

The dual PCM1795 d/a chips do allow for a 0 to -120dB digital attenuation.

I still prefer an analog volume control / preamp stage instead of using digital attenuation and feeding directly into a power amp.  :wink:

stargazerang

« Reply #95 on: 6 Mar 2014, 01:56 pm »
Hi

Does anyone ever open up the HAPZ1?

Is the voltage switchable between 110 and 230/240V?

Is the IEC equipped with 2 or 3 prong pins?

Thanks

smargo

« Reply #96 on: 6 Mar 2014, 02:07 pm »
Hi

Thanks

maybe vinni rossi can chime in and answer your questions - he has the unit now and is exploring its internals

OzarkTom

« Reply #97 on: 6 Mar 2014, 02:12 pm »
I have one on order right now. Maybe Vinni can put a tube circuit into it.

brj

« Reply #98 on: 6 Mar 2014, 03:37 pm »
Guys, this is review thread.  If you want to compare the results of a modded version against the stock version, that's perfectly fine, but the process of working out mods should really occur in another thread - either in the relevant manufacturer's circle, the lab, or another suitable circle.

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #99 on: 6 Mar 2014, 04:29 pm »
Hi

Thanks

Hi stargaze,

Voltage is not switchable in its stock form.
2-prong IEC.

Hi brj,

Good idea - I'll start a thread on the RWA forum
for those who have technical questions about what
is under the hood, mod potential, etc.

Thanks,

Vinnie