BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

rob80b

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #40 on: 27 Apr 2012, 04:51 pm »
Hi Folks,

Looks like we will be starting production on the Bryston Headphone Amp starting next week - here is a shot of the 'inners' circuitry of the final version.

james

Looking good James

Taken awhile though since my initial reguest: 29 Sep 2004, 05:16 PM »
Question for James Tanner,

Just curious if Bryston has ever thought of manufacturing a dedicated Headphone Amp.

Currently have my B60R in service to clean the volume and selector pots and will most likely trade it in towards a BHA-1.

Robert

Toronto

rob80b

« Reply #41 on: 27 Apr 2012, 04:58 pm »
Sounds like a winner, have you posted anything over at head-fi?

You may want to resurrect my other old thread from Oct 2004
http://www.head-fi.org/t/86708/for-those-interested-in-bryston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob80b View Post

"Just trying to get a little rally going over at audiocircle/Bryston/PMC in favour of a Bryston dedicated head amp."
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=13425.msg115324
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2012, 01:04 pm by rob80b »

rob80b

« Reply #42 on: 28 Apr 2012, 12:01 pm »
Hi Folks,

Looks like we will be starting production on the Bryston Headphone Amp starting next week - here is a shot of the 'inners' circuitry of the final version.

james

James, I have to say that the BHA-1 has one of the cleanest, if not in fact the cleanest looking internal layouts of any Bryston component.  It virtually looks like a mini city with some top notch urban planning.  Thumbs up to those engineers!

Have to agree on that one.

Here's a less modern city scape from China.

Shanling PH1000

Vipers

« Reply #43 on: 28 Apr 2012, 02:09 pm »
Hi Folks,
Looks like we will be starting production on the Bryston Headphone Amp starting next week
james

This is brilliant news James, can't wait to pair it up with my PS1000's, we've had quite alot of interest in the BHA-1 over the last couple of weeks in our store, I feel you may have another winner on your hands here :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #44 on: 29 Apr 2012, 12:07 pm »
This is brilliant news James, can't wait to pair it up with my PS1000's, we've had quite alot of interest in the BHA-1 over the last couple of weeks in our store, I feel you may have another winner on your hands here :thumb:

Hi Vipers

I had the PS1000's set up on the BHA in the Montreal audio show we did last month and very impressive combo :thumb:

James

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #45 on: 4 May 2012, 02:48 pm »
Like others following this topic for many months, I'm anxiously awaiting the opportunity to hear the BHA-1. The initial impressions coming out of its appearance at shows only heightens the anticipation.

But I was reminded over the last couple of days how much different the headphone experience is from that of listening to speakers. And I emphasize the word "different" to mean precisely that, not better or worse.

I've been into headphones over the past couple of years as an alternate to my main system, having owned in that time three different headphones - Sennheiser HD800s, LCD-2s, and KRK KNS8400s, as well as previously purchased Grado RS-1s, SR80s, and ancient AKGs and Stax - and two different dedicated headphone amps - Grace Designs m902 and Schitt Lyr. My application has been very narrow, however, in that I used the headphones primarily not to wake a sleeping wife in the morning: a vital application if one seeks to maintain domestic tranquility, but narrow nonetheless.

But in pursuit of the headphone experience, I found that a vintage receiver (circa late 1970s) made for an excellent headphone amp. So pleased with that device, I decided to build a second low priced speaker-based system (adding B&W 685 stand mounts), which I discovered produced an excellent sound, without rousing my wife from sleep and, therefore, her ire. But, sadly, the vintage receiver betrayed its age and failed. Bought a Harmon Kardon 3490 receiever as a replacement.

But, in typical audiophile fashion, I wanted a better sound from the second system, especially improved bass extension, again without wife-raising issues. After looking closely at alternatives I decided on the Axiom M80s, which I should receive on Monday.

Pending their arrival, I'm listening this morning to my LCD-2s, via the HK 3490, rediscovering how great they sound - as a headphone experience.

Going through this long, round about voyage, has not dampened my wish to hear the BHA-1, but rather underlined what I should be looking for when eventually I get to demo it: whether it produces a better headphone experience, not whether it sounds better than my upgraded second system, assuming the M80s, as predicted will make for one hell of a second system. Altogether it will have cost, with tax, about $2100, which I believe is a bit less than the price of my LCD-2s plus the estimated price of the BHA-1.

As for my personal preferences, this voyage also has made me come to this conclusion: while the headphone experience can be great for me when I need to use cans or am just in the mood for intimate listening, it is not nearly as satisfying for me in terms of the presence, weight and fullness of music heard via a speaker based system, even when that system includes modestly priced carefully chosen equipment.

Does this mean I will give the BHA-1 a pass? Depends of two things: 1. As James advises, the demo is everything, and 2. How much money I have left after spending a small fortune on my (absurd to non-audipophiles) headphone/second system journey.

Dave

Vipers

« Reply #46 on: 9 May 2012, 01:15 pm »
Hi Folks,
Looks like we will be starting production on the Bryston Headphone Amp starting next week
james

Hi James,

Just after an update really, got a couple of customers who keep chasing me, is the BHA-1 now in production?

Thansks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 9 May 2012, 05:38 pm »
Hi James,

Just after an update really, got a couple of customers who keep chasing me, is the BHA-1 now in production?

Thansks.

Yes we started this week. :thumb:

james

Vipers

« Reply #48 on: 10 May 2012, 07:27 am »
Excellent news James :) I'll pass the info on.

Personally I can't wait to get my hands on the BHA-1 :thumb:

Vipers

« Reply #49 on: 26 May 2012, 12:01 pm »
Are there any BHA-1's out in the wild yet?

Anyone got any feedback to wet my appetite with?

DaveNote

« Reply #50 on: 26 May 2012, 12:57 pm »
James, do you have an estimate of when the BHA-1 might actually be shipped ro dealers?

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 26 May 2012, 02:28 pm »
Hi Guys,

The first 6 units are leaving the barn on Thursday next week and another 20 units are being built as we speak.

Folks I can not believe the response we have had to the BHA-1 - everyone that has heard it loves it :thumb:

james

Vipers

« Reply #52 on: 26 May 2012, 03:40 pm »
Hi Guys,

The first 6 units are leaving the barn on Thursday next week and another 20 units are being built as we speak.

Folks I can not believe the response we have had to the BHA-1 - everyone that has heard it loves it :thumb:

james

Great news James, I have no doubts that it will be a stellar performer, it's good to hear that I won't have too much longer to wait though until I can find out for myself :drool:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 30 May 2012, 06:24 pm »
Hi Folks,

FINALLY :duh: - first 6 Bryston Headphone Amps on the Burn-in bench.

james

DaveNote

« Reply #54 on: 30 May 2012, 06:28 pm »
Birth after an unexpectedly long gestation period! Excellent!

Dave

spinner

« Reply #55 on: 30 May 2012, 07:04 pm »
   Love those pix James......thanks. :thumb:

Vipers

« Reply #56 on: 30 May 2012, 09:23 pm »
Excellent news James, what I'd really like to see now is a UK shipping ticket :wink:

On closer inspection James, is that a Blue LED on front panel? are they not coming with the usual green?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 30 May 2012, 09:51 pm »
Excellent news James, what I'd really like to see now is a UK shipping ticket :wink:

On closer inspection James, is that a Blue LED on front panel? are they not coming with the usual green?

Available in Blue and Green

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 10 Jun 2012, 12:17 am »
Copied from AudioAficionado:

Lappy 

Hi Guys,

Just got my BHA-1 yesterday. I opened the box at my reseller's place as his young assistant and him would have like to hear the BHA-1 along with my Audeze LCD-2 (that I brought with me at the store). They put a really quick and basic installation right on the counter of the store consisting of a Cambridge player with balanced cables, the Bryston BHA-1, the Audeze LCD-2 along with my brand new Norn v2 (8 conductors) balanced cable by Norse Audio. They were both really impressed not to say floored by the sound coming from the trio in a balanced set-up from input to output.

The owner who has been in the audio business for more than 30 years told me he never heard better sound coming from headphones before. He was looking at the gears nearly in disbelief. His young assistant was litteraly extatic about his experience. The synergy between the Bryston and Audeze is definitly there. Robust, detailed yet smooth and refined sound with astonishing vocals was the general description.

I am at home right now and I am listening to music with the Bryston and Audeze with my Wyred4Sound DAC-2 linked to my computer with a Wireworld Starlight USB cable as I write this mini-review. I know it's really soon to give a real opinion but the initial impressions are really, really favorables. The sound is so robust, full bodied yet clear, detailed but non fatiguing. Simply great sound from top to bottom. Listening to the incredible voice of Leonard Cohen (accompaniated by magnificent female backvocals along with Hammond organ) in Darkness from his last album Old Ideas is simply amazing! The midrange is all there. Not to upfront and neither laid-back (to my taste at least)

OK, so far so good. The Bryston seems to do everything well (very well in fact) the way it should be but does it have a quality that it is standing out? Yup. The bass slam, definition, depth and control is unheard for me at this point. It's simply amazing. A part of that credit should go to the LCD-2, well known for their bass capabilities but believe me, it's incredibly impressing. I am listening to a lot of electronic music (as right now) and the bass definition and speed are fantastic.It's really close to the physical feeling and experience you can get with a good subwoofer save the lamps rattling and shaking. No kidding.

If you're a LCD-2's owner and you are looking for a suitable amp to unleashe all their fantastic capabilities, I can absolutly recommand the Bryston. At this early stage, I simply can't imagine somebody not beeing happy with this combo.

Steve

DaveNote

« Reply #59 on: 10 Jun 2012, 12:42 am »
Copied from AudioAficionado:

Lappy 

Hi Guys,

Just got my BHA-1 yesterday. I opened the box at my reseller's place as his young assistant and him would have like to hear the BHA-1 along with my Audeze LCD-2 (that I brought with me at the store). They put a really quick and basic installation right on the counter of the store consisting of a Cambridge player with balanced cables, the Bryston BHA-1, the Audeze LCD-2 along with my brand new Norn v2 (8 conductors) balanced cable by Norse Audio. They were both really impressed not to say floored by the sound coming from the trio in a balanced set-up from input to output.

The owner who has been in the audio business for more than 30 years told me he never heard better sound coming from headphones before. He was looking at the gears nearly in disbelief. His young assistant was litteraly extatic about his experience. The synergy between the Bryston and Audeze is definitly there. Robust, detailed yet smooth and refined sound with astonishing vocals was the general description.

I am at home right now and I am listening to music with the Bryston and Audeze with my Wyred4Sound DAC-2 linked to my computer with a Wireworld Starlight USB cable as I write this mini-review. I know it's really soon to give a real opinion but the initial impressions are really, really favorables. The sound is so robust, full bodied yet clear, detailed but non fatiguing. Simply great sound from top to bottom. Listening to the incredible voice of Leonard Cohen (accompaniated by magnificent female backvocals along with Hammond organ) in Darkness from his last album Old Ideas is simply amazing! The midrange is all there. Not to upfront and neither laid-back (to my taste at least)

OK, so far so good. The Bryston seems to do everything well (very well in fact) the way it should be but does it have a quality that it is standing out? Yup. The bass slam, definition, depth and control is unheard for me at this point. It's simply amazing. A part of that credit should go to the LCD-2, well known for their bass capabilities but believe me, it's incredibly impressing. I am listening to a lot of electronic music (as right now) and the bass definition and speed are fantastic.It's really close to the physical feeling and experience you can get with a good subwoofer save the lamps rattling and shaking. No kidding.

If you're a LCD-2's owner and you are looking for a suitable amp to unleashe all their fantastic capabilities, I can absolutly recommand the Bryston. At this early stage, I simply can't imagine somebody not beeing happy with this combo.

Steve

This is very good news for us LCD-2 owners.

Dave