Only one way, but up.

raysracing

Only one way, but up.
« on: 7 Mar 2012, 01:07 am »
My Cheap and Cheerful system is almost done and it is already blowing my ears away. I realize having not heard many correctly set-up systems and not one Audiophile system in over 20 years probably has most to do with it, but ignorance is bliss right? What I am amazed about is how cheap this system is, yet how detailed the sound is becoming, imaging, tone, speed of bass attack, subtle nuances Ive never noticed before in records/CDs I know very, very well. The music just sounds so real now. I am in a rock band and we practice in my basement so I think I know a bit of what a live sounding drums, electric guitar, etc. sounds like.

Sources: Macbook pro, cheap Sony DVD player (used as CD transport), Denon DP 62L TT With Ortofon OM2 Red.

Amplifiers: Cambridge 540p phono pre, Sure Electronics TDA 7294 2x50 wpc amplifier (12v wall wart), Trang Optocoupler pre-amp (12v SLA).

Converters, etc: Grant Tube Buffer between amp and amp, Cambridge DACMagic for CD and Macbook.

Speakers: Paradigm Titans (old) and Boston Acoustic A70 bookshelves (Lost shine with new foam surrounds, took them out for now). TEKTON LORES COMING NEXT WEEK.

I have some bass traps and other coverings (acoustic sheets) on the walls which have helped as well. Another thing coming up is I will use a 24v power supply on the Sure amp which will boost power significantly. Trying to decide on two 12v SLAs or a switching power supply from Parts Express. Prefer the idea of batteries though. These Tri-amps like battery power I have noticed.

One example from last night was listening to Diana Krall and I could hear and place a musician snapping his fingers in front and then to side of body back and forth! It was that real. Again amazing to me I can have this much awesomeness on my budget. The Lores and DacMagic are my only high ticket items and they aren't even that high (ok a Macbook Pro is $1400).

raysracing

Re: Only one way, but up.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2012, 01:31 am »
Cambridge 540p phono pre $99
Titans (bought used I think) <$200
Grant Tube buffer (used) $75
BA A70 gifted to me ($70 to repair foam)
DacMagic $420
Opto Pre (used) $250 (includes batteries)
Sure amp $29
Battery charger $44
All used RCAs, coax, speaker cables. Maybe $30 in SPDIF, etc. from Firefold.com
Tekton Lore speakers $1100
Denon TT (bought used 10 years ago for a few hundred)
Ortofon Red Cart. $99
Spin Clean + cleaners (Gruv Glide) $135

Probably $70 to build my 24v battery for the Sure amp. Also another $100 to put amp in a proper case with proper connectors (Powercon, on/off toggle, etc.) to match Opto pre.

Future upgrades in planning stage:

Ortofon Blue, then Black then MC, etc.
Cambridge 651P (new model) phono pre or something better.
Sell DacMagic and Grant Tube  Buffer and buy a Grant Tube Dac 11.
Virtue One type amplifier or entry level tube amp.
More room treatments (forever)...

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2012, 02:16 am »
If your having fun, your doing the right things.......Welcome to the insanity!!! I did the same sorta thing a little over a year ago.
 I currently use Virtue TWO.2(Amp Only), Grant Tube DAC-09 used as Pre-amp/DAC -it was a key part for me and allowed me a ton of options going forward.
 I read local Craigs List ads daily for months and found some excellent vintage JBL Speakers- I had like 6 pair now I have 3 pair...a 5.1 setup and a 2.1 setup in my bedroom/Cave listening room.
 I use a Squeezebox Touch and a Virtue-Piano M1 CD Player and I also have a nice rebuilt TT for my recent foray into vinyl...then I found headphones and portables and have been enjoying that part of the hobby recently.
 I have fun everyday...Enjoy!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

raysracing

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2012, 02:38 am »
Ive always loved music, music, music. I recall listening to college radio on my clock radio in elementary school! And Ive always loved hifi, but Ive never had a lot of money so Ive never had a killer stereo system. I would say my Home Theater upstairs has been my music system since 1992, but even it is not audiophile quality. Heck I just got my first DAC last year.

But I agree, it is about having fun first and foremost. I got out of thinking about stereo equipment for decades because it made me depressed every single day as I couldnt afford anything good. I got used to what I had and was happy.  Then I got the DAC, then my music collection grew and grew and grew and I wanted to listen to my vinyl again and now were off.  I am so happy for  forums that have opened my eyes to all of these amazing low cost amps, DACs, cartridges, etc.