Stax Owners?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Stax Owners?
« on: 25 Apr 2013, 12:50 am »
Out of all the people on this site am I the only Stax owner? 

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
Re: Stax Owners?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2013, 12:57 am »
Of course not! Then again, my Lambdas are stored away in a closet. I need to replaced the ear pads, but I don't remember any other issues. I even bought an integrated amp for the 2nd system with the intention of yanking them out of hibernation (haven't done that yet).

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2013, 02:15 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I was a Stax headphones owner  35 years ago, but stupid me I sold them. :duh:
If I win the lotery, I will buy another pair.

Guy 13

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2013, 05:12 am »

Yeah, it looks like the odds are Stax against you!  :roll:

plaf26

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2013, 03:07 am »
Had a pair of SR-5's which I picked up used for a song.  Much more comfortable than my Koss Pro-4AA's, but thought they were bass shy, so I put them out on consignment at a local store.  After not hearing anything from them for a few weeks, I went back to check up on them only to find the store closed and all the contents, including my Stax gone without a trace  :x.  Now I wish I had them back when I see how much the new ones cost.  :duh:

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2013, 04:50 am »
I've got Omega II, which sounds sublime via SET by way of transformers  :thumb:

WireNut

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2013, 05:16 am »

I have a dream, someday.  :drool:

KingStyles

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2013, 06:13 am »
I have the 007 and the 009. There worth checking out.

rubenpp

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2013, 06:06 am »
I have a bunch of Lambdas , a Sigma Pro,  2x Omega 2 and the  009.  Oh and few of their amps as well. What can I say  ...I love Stax  :D

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2013, 09:30 am »
How do the Lambas compare to the Sigma?

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2013, 09:37 am »
I have a bunch of Lambdas , a Sigma Pro,  2x Omega 2 and the  009.  Oh and few of their amps as well. What can I say  ...I love Stax  :D
Hi rubenpp and all Audio Circle members.
How would describe the difference(s) or the advantage(s) of the Stax
(Especially the entry level models) over, (let say) Senneiser Hd-650 & HD-800?
In addition, what do you think about the Woo Audio model:
WEE - Dynamic to Electrostatic Headphone Converter.
Do you think this is something to consider as a good match?

Guy 13

Funnehaha

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2013, 01:25 pm »
There should be a smiley-face icon for someone just putting their hand up.

Since my "mix room" is a bit small and I monitor close-field with a pair of
old Spica TC-50s, I use my Stax headphones to dig in to the raw tracks a bit deeper.
One thing that is really fun is to use the speakers and the headphones at the same
time...

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2013, 09:19 pm »
I've done that Stax/speaker trick quite a bit over the years.
That's definitely a unique perspective on the music.

rubenpp

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2013, 01:02 am »
As much as I would like to share and describe in writing the Stax sound , I apologize as I am not very good at writing about the sound i hear. Not all of the Lambdas sound the same although some of the adjectives used to describe them are ..accurate , effortless, bright etc ... IME the Sigma sound more like listening to speakers or having an out of the ear/head sound.

I started with the HD650 last year w/c I found very good for jazz and  pop music (but never enjoyed classical with it) , and tried a few other headphones LCD2, Beyer T1 before going into stats. My first being the Omega 2 followed by the 009 ...i got addicted and sought earlier Lambdas to add to the collection. Each one has its own sound and depending on the listener , their will always be good, better or best  for certain types of music , moods and equipment.

For starters I would recommend the normal bias Lambda ,as they have some of the best mids and is one of the most musical lambdas ..even though it is about 20+ years old . The newer 407 may also suit a lot of music types and can be easier to acquire.

Again sorry If I have not been much of a help ..their are other forums like head-fi.org, head-case.org which provide better reviews and impressions of Stax ..but be careful because like me you may become a Stax addict.

regards,
R

Guy 13

« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2013, 12:37 pm »
As much as I would like to share and describe in writing the Stax sound , I apologize as I am not very good at writing about the sound i hear. Not all of the Lambdas sound the same although some of the adjectives used to describe them are ..accurate , effortless, bright etc ... IME the Sigma sound more like listening to speakers or having an out of the ear/head sound.

I started with the HD650 last year w/c I found very good for jazz and  pop music (but never enjoyed classical with it) , and tried a few other headphones LCD2, Beyer T1 before going into stats. My first being the Omega 2 followed by the 009 ...i got addicted and sought earlier Lambdas to add to the collection. Each one has its own sound and depending on the listener , their will always be good, better or best  for certain types of music , moods and equipment.

For starters I would recommend the normal bias Lambda ,as they have some of the best mids and is one of the most musical lambdas ..even though it is about 20+ years old . The newer 407 may also suit a lot of music types and can be easier to acquire.

Again sorry If I have not been much of a help ..their are other forums like head-fi.org, head-case.org which provide better reviews and impressions of Stax ..but be careful because like me you may become a Stax addict.

regards,
R

Hi rubenpp and all Audio Circle members.
After reading all that interesting stuff on Stax headphones,
I wonder if instead of buying the Senneiser HD-650
If I would buy the SR-207 with a Tube (ss) matching amplifier I would be happier ?
The Stax combo might be a little more expensive, but it might be worth.
Where would be the best place to shop?

Guy 13

rubenpp

« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2013, 07:43 pm »
Try contacting Justin Wilson over at headamp.com he also has  a Stax  loaner program though I'm not sure if its still going on.
PriiceJapan is another option.

Here's a recent of the review SR-407  from one the more prolific headphone users  Mad Lust Envy on HF http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/21930#post_9375365 .

Someone looking to get the Woo WEE should check this out as well http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/woo-audio-wee-electrostatic-headphone-energizer

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2013, 08:04 pm »
Thanks for the links. 
I figured the Woo Wee would go good with tubes which is what I have in mind a bit further down the road.

fsimms

« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2013, 08:54 am »
I have some Stax earphones which I bought new in the early 70’s.  My cousin put them on my tube receiver and the heat destroyed the diaphragms.  I had the diaphragms replaced with SR 5 ones.  They still work fine.  They are a bit bass shy, but they sound great.

Bob

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2013, 09:11 am »
I have some Stax earphones which I bought new in the early 70’s.  My cousin put them on my tube receiver and the heat destroyed the diaphragms.  I had the diaphragms replaced with SR 5 ones.  They still work fine.  They are a bit bass shy, but they sound great.

Bob
Hi fsimms and all Audio Circle members.
Did your cousin pay for the repair ?  :duh: :lol:
May I ask how much it cost you?
Where did you get them repaired?

Guy 13

fsimms

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2013, 01:34 am »
Hi fsimms and all Audio Circle members.
Did your cousin pay for the repair ?  :duh: :lol:
May I ask how much it cost you?
Where did you get them repaired?

Guy 13

No, he didn't pay for it.  He didn't have a penny to his name. 

I think it cost a bit above $100 in 1977 to get them fixed. 

My local HiFi store sent them to Stax to get them repaired.  The HiFi store went out of business almost 15 years ago.

Bob