Looking to add a Grado to my collection

FireGuy

Re: Looking to add a Grado to my collection
« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2013, 04:36 pm »
Ajzepp,  took your advice and had the ear pads swimming with the boxers.   They came out of the dryer softer than I would have expected.  I do believe one more dip in the ocean should soften the pads up even more.  Great advice!

Milford3 - Let's hope that couch doesn't scare the Grados away.

Got the Beyer DT-880's (250 Ohm) coming in for Father's Day.  No pad issue!!

milford3

« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2013, 05:08 pm »
Milford3 - Let's hope that couch doesn't scare the Grados away.

Got the Beyer DT-880's (250 Ohm) coming in for Father's Day.  No pad issue!!

FireGuy,  team the Beyer DT 880's with the Schiit Asgard2 for your main system.  Your ears will love it!

ajzepp

« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2013, 06:02 pm »
Ajzepp,  took your advice and had the ear pads swimming with the boxers.   They came out of the dryer softer than I would have expected.  I do believe one more dip in the ocean should soften the pads up even more.  Great advice!

Nice! I was pretty surprised the first time I did it, as well. My 325 pads were the ones that needed two cycles, and after the 2nd one they were super soft...not scratchy even a little bit. Even the lady friend was surprised how much they improved. I sent Grado labs an email last year and told them they should pre-wash all their pads, cause it would go a long way toward reducing the complaints. They said they thought it was a great idea, but it was cost prohibitive for them to do on their end. In the meantime, I'll continue to wash them myself and enjoy :) 

The 2nd washing won't be as dramatic as the first, but it'll still be an improvement. I'm so psyched that you have both the T1s and the RS-1s to enjoy over there....two amazing phones!

FireGuy

« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2013, 08:47 pm »
Nice! I was pretty surprised the first time I did it, as well. My 325 pads were the ones that needed two cycles, and after the 2nd one they were super soft...not scratchy even a little bit. Even the lady friend was surprised how much they improved. I sent Grado labs an email last year and told them they should pre-wash all their pads, cause it would go a long way toward reducing the complaints. They said they thought it was a great idea, but it was cost prohibitive for them to do on their end. In the meantime, I'll continue to wash them myself and enjoy :) 

The 2nd washing won't be as dramatic as the first, but it'll still be an improvement. I'm so psyched that you have both the T1s and the RS-1s to enjoy over there....two amazing phones!

AJZepp - Milford3 had the T1's and RS-1's over for a 4-day listening session not long ago and you are so correct; "two amazing phones!"  The excellence of the Tesla's would make a decision to either get these phones or pair of equal monitors one helluva delimma.  Once we found the "right" amp both cans were heaven, especially the T1's.  Milford3 is not allowed in Buffalo unless he brings both.  Won't care if he's got four cases Arrogant Bastard, these phones have to be there too.

milford3

« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2013, 11:23 pm »

Grado RS1's + Bastard + Zen Head =  :thumb: :dance: :banana piano: :rot

richidoo

« Reply #45 on: 19 May 2013, 12:31 am »
I listened to about half dozen Grados at Canfest Charlotte 2011. I liked the RS1 the best by far, with Woo tube amp.  It has very natural tone, and a magical bewitching "musical" thing going on that adds something special to music. I use AKG K701, but they are not as lively or fun as the RS1.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #46 on: 19 May 2013, 12:46 am »
Just found a japanese punk headphone, seems great to heavy metal fans:
http://cooljapannow.jp/detail.html?KEY=NEOACS-19618

ajzepp

« Reply #47 on: 19 May 2013, 02:36 am »
AJZepp - Milford3 had the T1's and RS-1's over for a 4-day listening session not long ago and you are so correct; "two amazing phones!"  The excellence of the Tesla's would make a decision to either get these phones or pair of equal monitors one helluva delimma.  Once we found the "right" amp both cans were heaven, especially the T1's.  Milford3 is not allowed in Buffalo unless he brings both.  Won't care if he's got four cases Arrogant Bastard, these phones have to be there too.

I definitely want to find an amp to pair with my GS1000s...my Meier Jazz is a fantastic pairing for the T1s, but I can do better for the Grados, I thiink. Which amps did you guys like best with the RS-1s? I don't know if you ever get down to Rochester, but you should take Milford for a Tahoe's garbage plate next time  :thumb:

FireGuy

« Reply #48 on: 19 May 2013, 01:01 pm »
I definitely want to find an amp to pair with my GS1000s...my Meier Jazz is a fantastic pairing for the T1s, but I can do better for the Grados, I thiink. Which amps did you guys like best with the RS-1s? I don't know if you ever get down to Rochester, but you should take Milford for a Tahoe's garbage plate next time  :thumb:

The amp that worked best for Milford3 and me was my vintage Pioneer SX-850 SS.  Surprisingly it's EQ, though limited,  provided a rather smooth and distinct presentation, good separation and a wonderful soundstage.  Milford's amps are a Schitt Audio Valhalla and Musical Paradise MP-301 MKII.  Both these amps are quite affordable and appear to work well for him.  10-4 and ditto for Rochester/Buffalo.  Anchor Bar for wings etc. still kicking.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #49 on: 21 May 2013, 10:41 pm »
Hey guys are the RS1's better sounding then the PS500's????

milford3

« Reply #50 on: 21 May 2013, 11:09 pm »
Eclein, I don't  own the PS 500's.  Maybe some other AC member that owns those can answer your question.  I do know this:  The RS1's are just a kick behind the Beyer T1's.  Last nights listening to different genres of music I realized that having an arsenal of different brands of phones (my type of can is dynamic)  is a joy.  Next up may be the AKG 702's or the Grado GS 1000.  BTY Eclein, why do we love this?  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 22 May 2013, 02:28 pm »
 :thumb: this? Its like a smiley face to me or to show I'm in an upbeat mindset when writing whatever I wrote before it.. :thumb: :thumb:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #52 on: 22 May 2013, 03:50 pm »
disregard

ajzepp

« Reply #53 on: 22 May 2013, 04:34 pm »
disregard

c'mon, spit it out...you're among friends

FireGuy

« Reply #54 on: 23 May 2013, 12:04 am »
DT-880 (250 Ohm) Beyers on order for Father's Day.  Hint on gift giving:  Provide those who are about to make you extremely happy on that day the full product number and the best web site to order it from.  You get what you want, the givers are also  pleased in that they are giving you what you want...win/win.  Soooo simple.

this_is_vv

« Reply #55 on: 23 May 2013, 01:34 am »
anyone compared these to HD600..thinking of getting those...

Douger

« Reply #56 on: 23 May 2013, 02:39 am »
Hey guys are the RS1's better sounding then the PS500's????
I have RS1i's and PS500's. My RS1i's sound luxuriously warm, think a wooden concert hall, not inaccurate but presented warmly. My PS500's are not dry or
sterile, but more open with extra definition of hall boundaries and slightly stronger bass. I love both. If finances preclude owning both, I would recommend
getting the PS500's and save $100. They do give you 2/3 of the performance of PS1000's for 1/3 the price!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #57 on: 23 May 2013, 01:18 pm »
Thanks guys....Douger I think I'll take your recommendation if I choose to grab more cans.  :wink:

milford3

« Reply #58 on: 25 May 2013, 12:42 pm »
Okay.  I love my Grado RS1's and the Beyer T1's so much that I ordered the Schiit Lyr.  Lets hope that I don't blow up my cans!

milford3

« Reply #59 on: 27 May 2013, 05:24 pm »
Great review on the Schiit Lyr.  Need to be careful with this amp while listening with Grados.

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/04/schiit-lyr/