Free TV/FM or curing Antenna Envy

Doublej

Re: Free TV/FM or curing Antenna Envy
« Reply #20 on: 30 Sep 2014, 12:23 am »
If you want to install XBMC you need a computer.

If you are only using a Amazon Fire TV/Apple TV, you only need internet access.

Everything is in the cloud.

Free in the cloud or paid in the cloud? I get that you can stream stuff but I thought it always cost money.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 30 Sep 2014, 12:48 am »
Free in the cloud or paid in the cloud? I get that you can stream stuff but I thought it always cost money.

For Amazon Fire TV or Apple TV there is some free content to stream but the majority of it is paid.

Using XBMC (now Kodi) and the XBMC Hub add-on (now TV Addons) you can stream virtually almost anything for free.  Illegally, of course.

Steve

persisting1

« Reply #22 on: 30 Sep 2014, 01:45 am »

The numbers I posted for the Fire TV included yearly memberships to Amazon Prime and Netflix. That is a lot of content. Throw in Hulu and I'm sure that will keep you busy.

Doublej

« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2014, 11:16 am »
The numbers I posted for the Fire TV included yearly memberships to Amazon Prime and Netflix. That is a lot of content. Throw in Hulu and I'm sure that will keep you busy.

Don't forget the internet connection fees although one could argue that most people have that anyway. How did we get from free TV to thousands of dollars?

Is Hulu high definition? You can get plenty of programming for free from the network or content producers' sites but I do not think it is in high definition.

Anyway I use the good old rabbit ears on my TV. Works great for me, under $10.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #24 on: 30 Sep 2014, 01:59 pm »
Men, let's be honest, do YOU suffer from Antenna Envy?

Yes. One of my friends has this.

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #25 on: 30 Sep 2014, 02:07 pm »
Let's say you pay $100 a month for your cable/satellite and another $250 for your DVR (not including a $15 a month fee if you go that route). In five years, you will spend around $6,250.00.

As Doublej said, "How did we get from free TV to thousands of dollars?"  By definition, cable/satellite isn't part of the free TV equation.

The DVR+ is $250 plus whatever internal or external storage you require.  No monthly fees.  As "free" as you can get for a DVR.  Works with rabbit ears or a large antenna like Steve's.  In my experience, it has been a good solution.

Todd Willhoit

« Reply #26 on: 30 Sep 2014, 02:09 pm »
Yes. One of my friends has this.

Can't see the forest for the antennas.   :wink:

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #27 on: 30 Sep 2014, 02:21 pm »
Can't see the forest for the antennas.   :wink:

Me on the shack side of it.

A few more bucks than I'll have in mine when it's done, lol.

JoshK

« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2014, 02:38 pm »
I cut the cable cord a couple months back again.   This time I am not doing OTA, as I had done in the past, because I live in Canada, in an apartment.  I usually just use my PC, which is doing some dual duties connected to my HT.  I mostly stream stuff (netflix, etc).   I use Hola a lot because Canada has an oligopolistic system with media.

The only thing I would like to figure out how to get is NFL and EPL.  Most of the time I watch at my local sports pub with my mates, but it would be nice to not always have to go down there.  Fox sports streaming requires you to put in your tv provider's login. 

richidoo

« Reply #29 on: 30 Sep 2014, 06:19 pm »
The only thing I would like to figure out how to get is NFL and EPL.

http://vipbox.co/
http://www.stream2watch.me/

There are others, but these serve most of my needs. It's not HD but it is good enough to follow the event. Some streams are better than others so try a few streams. Adblock is required to prevent pop ups and ads from preventing access to the stream or interrupting the show.  I use Chrome in an old laptop, with a very busy DSL 3mbps connection.

I reluctantly subscribe to Directv, and while my old DirecTivo was off for repairs I was able to use an HDTV ota set top box, and the above streaming websites to watch almost all the shows I wanted. I lived without DirecTV for 2 weeks and felt I could adapt to cutting the cord. But when the Tivo came back I was glad to have it. Tivo and DVR are very convenient.

But I'd like to dump the monthly payment. I'd be happy to pay only for the stations I want, but that's not possible yet. I object to subsidizing some of the horrible channels that wouldn't exist if not for bundling (redistribution.) Ideally I'd like to have an HTPC with JRiver that can DVR my OTA stations and watch or DVR internet streams. ATT is installing gigafiber throughout our city, so that should be a good source of TV/data in the future.

persisting1

« Reply #30 on: 30 Sep 2014, 08:26 pm »
How did we get from free TV to thousands of dollars?

That's my fault. Spending $250 on a DVR started the discussion.

Maybe half of it should be moved to a new thread?

persisting1

« Reply #31 on: 30 Sep 2014, 08:29 pm »
Is Hulu high definition?

Yes, there is HD content on Hulu. There is an option to only search for 720p content on Hulu.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #32 on: 1 Oct 2014, 10:29 pm »
Letitroll98,
You might be watching cable-only channels but you'd have to ask someone in your area to see if they're available for free.
I'm pretty sure I get ESPN and NFL games but I don't know about an NFL channel or AMC.
There are quite a few movies going all the time, though, but I'm not sure what channel they're on. 
I'm not much on television but what I have this area would be different than where someone else lives.

mcgsxr

« Reply #33 on: 1 Oct 2014, 10:33 pm »
XBMC is what I have been using to augment my "for pay" services (Bell satellite here in Canada).

I have not sorted viewing live sports in HD, but can watch just about anything else at various quality levels for free.

The GUI is not yet ready for family prime time at my house, so for now I just use XBMC as my sole video source in the basement.  The other 2 TV's get satellite service.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 2014, 04:31 pm »
The mother in law is here and as some of you may know, she alternates between Spanish, English and her own secret language.
She is in heaven with the antenna as by rotating it 90 degrees she can see her beloved soap operas which, I understand, are shot in Mexico and Venezuela.
Life is good as far as she's concerned.  I'm looking forward to the end of her stay but that's just me.

WireNut

« Reply #35 on: 18 Oct 2014, 04:38 pm »
The mother in law is here and as some of you may know, she alternates between Spanish, English and her own secret language.
She is in heaven with the antenna as by rotating it 90 degrees she can see her beloved soap operas which, I understand, are shot in Mexico and Venezuela.
Life is good as far as she's concerned.  I'm looking forward to the end of her stay but that's just me.

Hi Steve,

Can you tell me/us what antenna and rotor you have. I have a clearsteam 2v indoor antenna that gets me about 34 channel locally.
I cut the cable cord about 6 months ago.
Is your antenna mounted in the attack or outside?

Jon L

« Reply #36 on: 18 Oct 2014, 05:39 pm »
When I had an OTA antenna, it was great, but not having TV guide, therefore any ability to set up recording ahead of time, was a bummer. 

Lots of people, including me, have the Time Warner (or other company) "triple" plans to save some money, including phone, internet, and cable, so even if efforts were put into cutting the cable part, the other two still requires attention..

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2014, 05:42 pm »
Wirenut,
Go to the first post in this thread.