Cheap...... Hope its cheerful

stree

Cheap...... Hope its cheerful
« on: 22 Dec 2014, 06:44 pm »
First of all ,hello! first post from a newcomer.
Decided to set  up my old hifi stuff, discovered amps had died an turntable needed attention.............Time for a change but circumstances dictate that I only have a micro-budget to get replacements.
So a lot of researching and reading reviews and forums, finding low cost items that people seem more than satisfied with. I am in UK so suppliers manufacturers may not always be familiar to members from elsewhere.
It is as much home theatre as hi-fi, this is what I have so far:

MUSE S7 APE FLAC Player +TDA7498L Digital T-amp Amplifier   £45.00
Used but VG condition Bush MTT1 turntable    ( Lots of old LPs to rediscover) This TT got a great 5 star review in What HIFI when it came out. Voted best sub £100 turntable..... Will do for me...Paid £25 inc del.
10 mtrs 16SWG 76 strand speaker cable. Cost. Peanuts
Pair of 4" cube speakers from Amazon (UK).....I was searching for a good "Brand" name pair of bookshelf speakers, and of course nothing that met the specs was within budget.
Thats when I saw the Amazon ones...80w (peak) 8ohm,   sensitivity 90! that surprised me...........described as dual cone full range.Got some fantastic reviews, some from knowledgeable hifi folk.
Thought worth a try. £14
This set up will incorporate a Sony Bluray player, a 32" Hanspree flat screen and a Humax HB1000s500GB Freesat box. (already have these)
PS the TT has preamp built in.
I really hope I have got the mix right and it will sound OK.Will not know until it is set out and powered up.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Cheap...... Hope its cheerful
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2014, 08:47 pm »
Welcome aboard AC!

Your gear is beyond my expertise but hope it works out.  The most important factor for being an audiophile is to be a music lover.  My first gear was a tube AM radio from the 1940's.  After a couple of years I added a Panasonic cassette player and recorded off the radio by setting the mike on top of the speaker.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2014, 08:54 pm »
I added a Panasonic cassette player and recorded off the radio by setting the mike on top of the speaker.
The worst part was when the DJ wouldn't shut up. He was "ruining" the song by talking over it.  :lol:

Welcome to AC Stree. Enjoy the music!

Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:11 pm »
Welcome aboard AC!
 and recorded off the radio by setting the mike on top of the speaker.

You, too?   :thumb:

srb

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2014, 09:33 pm »
My friend Dave's good friend (and my acquaintance), late Las Vegas drummer Karl Kiffe, used to make cassette dubs.  Dual dubbing cassette deck?  No.  Two cassette decks with line-out to line-in?  No.  Two identical mini cassette boomboxes face to face!  Karl was a true visionary ahead of his time and embodied wireless before wireless was mainstream.

Steve

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2014, 01:02 am »
The worst part was when the DJ wouldn't shut up. He was "ruining" the song by talking over it.  :lol:

Welcome to AC Stree. Enjoy the music!

Bob

Maybe that's why I was the quietest DJ in the history of college radio.   :oops:

stree

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2015, 06:07 pm »
Back again, been ill a while so no posting.

Set the minimum budget collection up at Christmas and not  a bad sound at all...........just tried female vocals. Peter Gabriel Fleetwood Mc and Floyd....No classical yet.... Very acceptable.little amp is a beast. Surprisingly good output from the little Bush TT.   Wish I could convince my  other half that better speakers would not be ugly...........I have a pair of Kef Cresta 2 which I bought new a while ago. and a pair of old Celestion SL6.......................
Have bought a Behringer PP400 pre-amp as well, should be an improvement on the built in on the budget deck???Tempted by a technics headshell with a Stanton 500 cart or a Goldring.Cheap on tthe bay.
Saying that I have never removed a headshell and without a manual feeling very dubious about attempting it......Just  round tube fitting with a liitle pin like a bulb fitting? Just push/pull? or push and twist? Its a mystery to me.
My new learning curve