Weights on Speakers

Hipper

Weights on Speakers
« on: 15 Mar 2015, 05:02 pm »
I remember a while back John Casler placed weights on his RM30 speakers - there's a picture of it in his Gallery (I've searched for a thread on this but couldn't find it):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;image=2102

I'll be trying out Symposium Svelte Platforms under my RM30Ms very soon and I thought I'd also try the weight idea. All I have at the moment are four stone slabs weighing around 7Kg each.

What amount of weight should I use and what sort of improvements are possible? Is there a negative side to this? Stone slabs aren't the most attractive things so if I do find benefits should I use training weights, or something else?

Some people also use weights on their gear too. My amp, CD transport and DAC each weigh around 25Kg but I tried a slab on my 2Kg equaliser and thought there might have been a slight bit more percussion - maybe wishful thinking!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Weights on Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2015, 07:00 pm »
Hi, Hipper.

Ask any marble and granite seller/installer in your area if they have extras (they always have extras). I picked up some very reasonably priced slabs for non-audio purposes. The installer gave me a great deal on cutting it to my desired size since it helped him get rid of otherwise difficult to get rid of inventory.

Granite slabs are very heavy and quite attractive. Felt is easily glued to the bottom side to protect surfaces.

Michael

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2015, 09:33 pm »
I remember a while back John Casler placed weights on his RM30 speakers - there's a picture of it in his Gallery (I've searched for a thread on this but couldn't find it):

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;image=2102

I'll be trying out Symposium Svelte Platforms under my RM30Ms very soon and I thought I'd also try the weight idea. All I have at the moment are four stone slabs weighing around 7Kg each.

What amount of weight should I use and what sort of improvements are possible? Is there a negative side to this? Stone slabs aren't the most attractive things so if I do find benefits should I use training weights, or something else?

Some people also use weights on their gear too. My amp, CD transport and DAC each weigh around 25Kg but I tried a slab on my 2Kg equaliser and thought there might have been a slight bit more percussion - maybe wishful thinking!

:lol:

Funny you found these old posts, but there was a method to the madness.

First I mostly used rubber coated Barbell Plates since the rubber coating is better at damping and they don't ring, like solid steel.

They also don't scratch surfaces.

The reasons for the weights are:

1) Add mass to reduce reactive movement from the drivers, especially the woofers
2) Damp the cabinet from other vibrations and resonances

The benefits might be:

1) Improved transient bass response
2) Less cabinet talk

Fun to play with and the level of improvement (if any) will depend on many factors.

Hipper

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2015, 07:19 pm »
Thanks mresseguie and John.

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2015, 07:26 pm »
Thanks mresseguie and John.

No Problem and you can find the "rubber covered" plates in both Olympic and Standard types LIKE THESE

You can Google to find the best prices.

Caution: Rubber Bumper Plates are not the same and DO NOT have the same MASS/Density

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2015, 07:44 pm »
  Weights can be affective depending on cabinet design. ETI makes a product that sits atop the speaker to reduce and or eliminate resonance. Cannot remember the product name. Lenehan Audio was the original design then sold to ETI. Not affiliated with either company.

charles