Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond

Jeff K

Re: Clearaudio MM -- AT-95E and beyond
« Reply #1300 on: 14 Feb 2016, 06:50 pm »
In case you didn't recognize her with the er, hair that way, the new avatar is Scarlett Johansson.   I'd rather listen to those old jazz guys, and look at something pleasing in a different way.

She isn't aging well.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1301 on: 14 Feb 2016, 07:12 pm »
Jeff,
You're a little late.  I had to substitute Thelonious Monk to keep us from being lured to our demise.   If you're being chased by the boogie man, I suggest Rahsand Roland Kirk. 

Now that we're on the next page I think it's safe for another shot of Scarlett. 
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1302 on: 15 Feb 2016, 01:23 pm »
Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. America from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea.  News Flash!!
Excel corp. long dormant in the phono cart biz, is once again making carts. 

http://www.dagogo.com/hana-cartridges-of-japan-now-available-in-the-u-s

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/cartridges-hana-mc-cartridge-from-japan-great-performance-for-an-affordable-price-2016-02-14-analog-92307-apple-valley-ca

User reports are positive, indicating they blow away the competition at their respective price points.   Stay tuned to this channel for breaking news.
neo

GentleBender

« Reply #1303 on: 15 Feb 2016, 02:29 pm »
Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. America from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea.  News Flash!!
Excel corp. long dormant in the phono cart biz, is once again making carts. 

http://www.dagogo.com/hana-cartridges-of-japan-now-available-in-the-u-s

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/cartridges-hana-mc-cartridge-from-japan-great-performance-for-an-affordable-price-2016-02-14-analog-92307-apple-valley-ca

User reports are positive, indicating they blow away the competition at their respective price points.   Stay tuned to this channel for breaking news.
neo
Thank you for posting this. I've been researching a better cart and saw these, but was skeptical. Record cleaner and supplies are first on my list, but a well performing inexpensive MC is exciting. Glad to see you posting in the circle again.  :)

sunnydaze

« Reply #1304 on: 15 Feb 2016, 02:42 pm »

By the time Sunnydazed attacked in your thread, I guess I was burned out.  How do you respond when you're quoted out of context, claimed to have said things you didn't say, and characterized by embarrassing names?
neo

GRRRRRRRRR.........RUFF RUFF........BARK BARK!!!

Sic 'em boy!   

I guess one could respond by being a whiney lil skirt?      :roll:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

sunnydaze

« Reply #1305 on: 15 Feb 2016, 02:50 pm »
.......would I be better off ditching the outrigger in favor of a lighter arm? ..........

My advise is.......

Don't do this!  I've owned my Rock 3 for almost 20 yrs.  I've tried quite a few arms and carts on it.  The front end dampending, along with the built-in seismic sink, are the main elements that make it sound sooooo good.  The silicone trough will elevate the performance of a pedestrian arm such that it performs beyond its price point.

On the Rock I have used what I guess are considered medium mass arms:  Rega 300B, SME V,  Linn Ittok,  Linn Basic, Kuzma Stogi,  Kuzma Stogi Reference, Clearaudio Satisfy.  Combined with mostly MM carts in the medium compliance range:  CA Virtuoso Wood,  CA Maestro,  Cartridge Man Music Maker mk3,  SAE 1000e.  Also used some MC:  Dyna 17d2 mk2 and Dyna 20x (both LO and HO).   Every combination I tried has worked just fine.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2016, 03:55 pm by sunnydaze »

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1306 on: 15 Feb 2016, 03:11 pm »
Thank you for posting this. I've been researching a better cart and saw these, but was skeptical. Record cleaner and supplies are first on my list, but a well performing inexpensive MC is exciting. Glad to see you posting in the circle again.  :)

GB,
Maybe this can help you get there sooner.  User reports say this is every bit as good as a 16.5. 
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649240538-canadian-made-rcm-3d-printed-parts-you-supply-the-shopvac/

The wand will accommodate 2 sizes of vac hose and has a pressure release valve to adjust suction.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1307 on: 15 Feb 2016, 04:13 pm »
My advise is.......

Don't do this!  I've owned my Rock 3 for almost 20 yrs.  I've tried quite a few arms and carts on it.  The front end dampending, along with the built-in seismic sink, are the main elements that make it sound so so good.  The silicone trough will elevate the performance of a pedestrian arm such that it performs beyond its price point.

On the Rock I have used what I guess are considered medium mass arms:  Rega 300B, SME V,  Linn Ittok,  Linn Basic, Kuzma Stogi,  Kuzma Stogi Reference, Clearaudio Satisfy.  Combined with mostly MM carts in the medium compliance range:  CA Virtuoso Wood,  CA Maestro,  Cartridge Man Music Maker mk3,  SAE 1000e.  Also used some MC:  Dyna 17d2 mk2 and Dyna 20x (both LO and HO).   Every combination I tried has worked just fine.

Leave it to Moron Man to oversimplify a complex question.  Smctigue is not able to replace the RB300 at this time, but to say damping will make the Rega arm perform like a much better one, is stupid.   It's all right not to be intelligent, but maybe you could learn something instead of spouting 20 years of experience and still without a clue?

Every cart you named is med or low compliance.  Not sure about Music Maker, that's a damped Grado - originally 20cu.  Will damping improve the bearings on the lowly RB300 ?  Of course not, but less offensive.  Mediocrity is not the goal.

I can't stop you from posting your dumb shit on this thread.   First, try to put your thinking cap on.  I imagine it would be hard for someone of your intelligence, but it might save us both some time and trouble.
neo

sunnydaze

« Reply #1308 on: 15 Feb 2016, 04:38 pm »
Leave it to Moron Man to oversimplify a complex question.  Smctigue is not able to replace the RB300 at this time, but to say damping will make the Rega arm perform like a much better one, is stupid.   It's all right not to be intelligent, but maybe you could learn something instead of spouting 20 years of experience and still without a clue?

Every cart you named is med or low compliance.  Not sure about Music Maker, that's a damped Grado - originally 20cu.  Will damping improve the bearings on the lowly RB300 ?  Of course not, but less offensive.  Mediocrity is not the goal.

I can't stop you from posting your dumb shit on this thread.   First, try to put your thinking cap on.  I imagine it would be hard for someone of your intelligence, but it might save us both some time and trouble.
neo

Angry much?     :roll:

You my friend, are an elitist superior arrogant know it all snob.  Been reading your posts for years.  Comes across loud and strong.

And yes, in my direct hands on experience the Rock's dampening trough does make every fixed bearing arm sound better.  Quite easy to listen both with it and without it in place, and compare. 

Perhaps climb outta your vintage cave,  remove the blinders, and go listen to it?  But I suspect you prefer the pompous pontificating approach that condescends and berates.

And if you weren't so anger frenzied you'd see my response was quite direct and relevant to his query.  He asked if eliminating the trough is worthwhile.  I replied that IMO it's not a good idea.  That it's a critical design element, and a main reason the Rock sounds so good.  My opinion, and it's one held by many others. 

Then in a general way I recounted my arm / cartridge experiences.  Maybe give him some other cartridge or arm options.  Stuff I know works.  Not theory, senor sliderule.  That's what these boards are for.  You don't control the exchange of ideas, Mr. Nazi.

That you have such a problem with this speaks more to your smallness and mean streak, than says anything about me.

Have a good day.

Jeff K

« Reply #1309 on: 15 Feb 2016, 05:20 pm »
GB,
Maybe this can help you get there sooner.  User reports say this is every bit as good as a 16.5. 
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649240538-canadian-made-rcm-3d-printed-parts-you-supply-the-shopvac/

The wand will accommodate 2 sizes of vac hose and has a pressure release valve to adjust suction.
neo

I've had one of these for month, now. It came to $125 USD delivered. Works great! Really easy to use.

bacobits1

« Reply #1310 on: 15 Feb 2016, 08:09 pm »
Neo, whats with all the condescending and name calling here?
I see no misinfo and this is just getting damn foolish. We're all entitled to our views.
Really out of line where's the prefect of discipline so liberally used otherwise?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1311 on: 15 Feb 2016, 09:16 pm »
Jeff K,
Thanks for the testimonial.  I've read nothing but positive things about the RCM.  The other bargain machines (vacuum) are KAB and Audio Advisor (Record Doctor?).  I like working and vacuuming on the top side of the record so I find this more appealing, although you can get good results with a Nitty Gritty type.

Like the KAB machine you supply the vac.  A mini shop vac is around $30.  Normally this would be too strong, but with the pressure release valve this looks like a winner.
neo 

Jeff K

« Reply #1312 on: 16 Feb 2016, 12:43 am »
I couldn't find the $12 Stinger vac referred to in the video (Home Depot was sold out, here), but picked up a 1.5 gal. Shop-Vac on Amazon. I could have just used my full-size one, but wanted a dedicated vac.

I wanted top-side cleaning and a full-size platter. I'm using the fluid formula discussed in the "You're Doing it Wrong" thread on AK and getting great results.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1313 on: 16 Feb 2016, 02:12 am »
I tried a DIY cleaner fluid, but I couldn't get the results as with commercial products.  We had a couple of threads about that and there might be a sticky.  I saw a library of congress archive formula.  I think I had trouble finding the right surfactant.  There's some problem with Photo Flo.  It's hard to remember.
I use 2 cleaners, a regular and an enzyme.  I've read good things about Mobil Fidelity fluids, might be worth a try.

I used to have a VPI, now I use a DIY with an old player to support the record.  The 1.5hp shop vac is way too powerful and I had to put a bunch of vent holes in the wand.  I think I'll get one of these Canadian machines.   A new 16.5 is now $650.  You can get a decent cart for that. 
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1314 on: 16 Feb 2016, 02:51 am »
Bacobits,
Prefect of discipline?
Did you see Smctigue's original post?  It's on page 65, if you care to look.  His plan was to eventually replace the RB300.  Sunny was telling him not to, that the damping would improve performance.

This is very bad advise IMO.  Part of the original question included the use of high compliance vintage MMs.  Hi cu vintage carts go as high as 50cu - more inappropriate info.  I suspect the best thing for that arm is send it to Audiomods, or sell it. 

There's a little history here and Sunny has called me names many times.  This is the first time I responded in kind. 
Any member is free to come on this thread and say what they want.  That includes me.
neo

sunnydaze

« Reply #1315 on: 16 Feb 2016, 04:01 am »
Bacobits,
Prefect of discipline?
Did you see Smctigue's original post?  It's on page 65, if you care to look.  His plan was to eventually replace the RB300.  Sunny was telling him not to, that the damping would improve performance.

There's a little history here and Sunny has called me names many times.  This is the first time I responded in kind. 
Any member is free to come on this thread and say what they want.  That includes me.
neo

I said no such thing about keeping the Rega!  You misunderstood me.  To be fair,  I see the confusion, but it's not what I meant.   

I definitely did not tell him to keep the Rega.  I would never presume to do that.   My Rock came with same exact Rega arm, and I changed it out rather quickly.   So why would I tell another to keep it?!  Just another case of you not knowing the facts Neo, and talking outta your ass.

He asked if he'd be "better off ditching the outrigger".  This is what I replied to, not the part about changing to a lighter arm.  If you ditch the outrigger, then you ditch the dampening trough.......a critical element of the design.   I simply meant he should keep using the trough, regardless of the arm.   

This view is based on my almost 20 yrs experience w the Rock 3 -- using it with and without the trough -- and rotating thru several arms...including the Rega it came with. 

Then, as a general aside, I noted that it improves just about any arm, especially budget ones.  I was not implying he should keep Rega.   Your interpretation only.  BTW, anyone experienced with the Rock trough system will attest the same.  As will Max Towhshend the designer.  As do all the reviewers.  If you care to look and be informed, you will find unanimous praise of the current Rock 7, and that it performs waaaaay beyond its price point.  The front end dampening system is one of the main reasons.   

Also, just as an aside and a testament to supreme owner satisfaction, the 7 virtually never comes up FS used.   I know because for several years I've been targeting it for purchase.   I've only seen one, and it got snatched up quickly.  And I know for a fact they are out there.   A local buddy is childhood friends w/ Dan Meinwald (the importer) and Dan says he sells many 7's.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a simple misunderstanding.    But it's clear you have some bug up your ass about me.  If you didn't maybe you'd not be so quick to play gotcha, and be less eager to jump down my throat and criticize me for what you think I'm saying.

As far as personal attacks.......
I had put our previous dustup behind us, but you just had to go on the offensive again.  Unprovoked, out of the blue, in a completely different thread.   Your exact words earlier in referring to me, my opinions, and my comments:

Moron Man
stupid
not intelligent
without a clue
I post dumb shit
hard for someone w/ my low IQ to put a thinking cap on   

And your tone was quite arrogant, sarcastic and snide.  Especially the last one.

Time to give it a rest Neo.  I know you just have to be the absolute authority on all things vinyl, and be right all the time, but you are really showing yourself in a bad light here -- petty, vindictive, and very unfair.

« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2016, 02:34 pm by sunnydaze »

Jeff K

« Reply #1316 on: 16 Feb 2016, 04:34 am »
I think I had trouble finding the right surfactant.

I believe you're talking about a de-ionized detergent. Triton X-100 and Tergitol are available on ebay. The formula they are discussing is 0.5% Triton, and 5% ipa in distilled water. They also talk of adding a quat (???) to keep it from spoiling, but I haven't gotten into that. I just make a small batch at a time. Since you dilute the X-100 at 200 to 1, it'll last a loooong time.

A couple of the posters are chemical engineers and much of the discussion is over my head, but my records come out shiny and static-free.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #1317 on: 16 Feb 2016, 03:43 pm »
As far as personal attacks.......
I had put our previous dustup behind us, but you just had to go on the offensive again.  Unprovoked.  Your exact words earlier in referring to me, my opinions, and my comments:

Moron Man
stupid
not intelligent
without a clue
I post dumb shit
hard for someone w/ my low IQ to put a thinking cap on   

And your tone was really really arrogant, sarcastic and snide.  Especially the last one.

Time to give it a rest Neo.  I know you just have to be the absolute authority on all things vinyl, and be right all the time, but it's not becoming.  You just make yourself seem petty and vindictive.  And quite frankly, very unfair.

This thread has been running for years.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't recall your posting here before yesterday.  What was your first post yesterday, something about a whiney lil skirt?  Yet you say "Unprovoked".

The other descriptions like Moron Man happened after that, but in all honesty seem more like statements of fact.  Truth is, I don't think you're too bright.  Nothing to be ashamed of, but you have a nasty streak.  You like to hit people when they're down, make fun of them, and make your point at someone else's expense.  I try not to do that (digital alien threads excepted), and I held back on Evan's thread.   

I'm the absolute authority on nothing, and I never claimed to be one.  I've been wrong many times.  One of the advantages of a forum is people have expertise in different things.  If I misinterpreted your post I apologize, but I think the comments are apt. 

It's ironic that you characterize me as elitist.  My main specialty was getting mid fi equipment to sound like high end.  In order to do that, you need to be familiar with high end sound. 
Look, we don't like each other, agreed?  At least I don't like you and by your comments the feeling is mutual.  Wouldn't avoidance be the best policy?
neo

sunnydaze

« Reply #1318 on: 16 Feb 2016, 07:59 pm »
This thread has been running for years.  Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't recall your posting here before yesterday. 
Yep.  Is that a problem?  Should I have requested your permission before posting?

What was your first post yesterday, something about a whiney lil skirt?  Yet you say "Unprovoked".
Post #1296:   You mentioned me, out of the blue, for no reason whatsoever.  Said I did things I didn't do.  Just to get in a dig for some perceived/imagined slights.......that  BTW,  happened months ago, on a different thread!  Retribution.  Attack.  Because that's what you do.  Gotta get in the last word.  Can't just drop it, like I did.   So yes, unprovoked.

Post #1304:  Joking with you.....I implied you were coming off like a "whiney lil skirt".  Because you were!  (PS and FYI:  all the laughing emoticons denote joke status).  I was just "Taking the piss" as the British lads like to say.  (Google it if you need enlightenment).  You'd never survive there with your thin skin and MIA sense of humor.  I bet you're a blast at cocktail parties.

Then you did your usual -- got all nasty, sarcastic and snide with your insults about my low IQ, stupidity, etc.

The other descriptions like Moron Man happened after that, but in all honesty seem more like statements of fact.  Truth is, I don't think you're too bright.
I've clearly shown where you were mistaken.  And I was gracious enough to chalk it up to a misunderstanding.  Hey pal, you made the mistake not me!  Yet you double down and call me stupid again?!   You're a real class act.

Nothing to be ashamed of, but you have a nasty streak.  You like to hit people when they're down, make fun of them, and make your point at someone else's expense.   I try not to do that (digital alien threads excepted), and I held back on Evan's thread.
Show me where I did this.

Your exact words in Post #1296:

Definition of a volunteer - 1) a politically correct Nazi with a little authority  2) One who volunteers because that's what they're worth  3) A jerk with a blister on his hand who tries to rub up against you.

My friend, you have some cajones grandes  to say I'm the one with a nasty streak, makes fun of people, and makes my point at someone else's expense!!    :roll:   Gimme some of your drugs, I too would like to escape from reality!       :smoke:   :lol:

And there are several examples of you getting just as nasty and insulting on Evan's thread.

If I misinterpreted your post I apologize, but I think the comments are apt. 
Nice apology, pal.  If??!!  You definitely did, and I clearly explained it to you.  Inability to proffer sincere apology when proven wrong = more classlessness and shows weak character.   Continuing to call me stupid, when you and noone else acted stupidly, is just idiotic.

ACHiPo

« Reply #1319 on: 16 Feb 2016, 08:08 pm »
 :duh:
 :nono:
 :flame:
:deadhorse:
 :thumbdown: