Hi folks!

Gincognito

• Lover of Abalone Sandwiches
Hi folks!
« on: 20 Sep 2017, 04:27 am »
:green: I wanted to take the time to introduce myself. My name is Greg, I live in Brooklyn, New York and am pretty new to the audio/video hobby (illness). I've done way too much message board browsing and wheeling and dealing on eBay, audiogon and the audiomarts to stop now. It's only been about two years and I think I've switched out every single piece of equipment from cables to speakers at least 5 times. Sometimes 10 times.
Now I am at a point where I need to sell some things to make room. I've been doing rather well locally on Craigslist  (too lazy to ship)--- but then again, I do offer awesome deals on what I sell.

My new thing is headphones and tubes. I have never heard any tube gear and the curiosity is killing me!!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Hi folks!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2017, 10:40 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Greg.  :beer:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2017, 12:12 pm »
Seems like you have it bad.   :roll:

Perhaps you need to stop chasing your tail and take a few steps back and define the "problem" first (or just send me all the money you're wasting).   :green:

What are trying to achieve with your audio system?  What are you favorite musical genres?  What musical/audio attributes do you seek?  Are you trying to accurately reproduce the performance?  Do you thrive on pin-point imaging and/or expansive soundstaging?  Does superior levels of detail retrieval excite you?  Does authoritative bass do it for you?  Is it all about tone for you?  What is your room like (size, shape, amount of isolation)?  What's your budget?  What source formats (vinyl, CD, hi-resolution downloads, etc.) interest you?

Once you answer the above questions you can begin serious shopping, including auditioning gear (being in NYC you have access to knowledgable, well equipped shops that would be the envy of almost everyone).

This is a great time to get into audio, especially at the less expensive end of the market.  Very satisfactory systems can be put together for as little as $500 (such as Meridian Explorer 2 USB DAC plus JBL LSR 305 active monitors) using your computer and a $20/month subscription to Tidal (for access to millions of CD quality albums).  You could substitute the JBL's for quality headphones for even less.  Frankly systems like this won't satisfy gear lust, but will get you maybe 80% of the sound of a $$$$$ system.  And most audiophiles way over buy gear for the given circumstances (room, musical/audio knowledge, etc.). 

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2017, 12:47 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, Gincognito.  Yup, you've got it bad alright.  Good advice from JLM.  Have fun!

Jake

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2017, 01:19 pm »
Welcome to AC!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2017, 02:01 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Greg    :thumb: 

Gincognito

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2017, 04:47 am »
Thank you all for the warm welcome!
So my foray into the hobby started about two years ago when I decided that it was time  for me to buy an  AV receiver to use with my Panasonic plasma as I was running out of hdmi inputs. A local Craigslist seller in brooklyn sold me a pioneer 1022K receiver and a definitive technology sub for silly cheap-- like $100 cheap.
I then set out to find a pair of speakers and landed on a pair of kefs from stereo exchange--- a well known dealer in NYC.
After spending days learning how to set up the receiver and wire the speakers and sub... I was off

I just just moved into a large concrete loft in hipster brooklyn with my wife and I was filling the space with wonderful powerful audio.

Then came the better kefs --- model 11? The ones that simulated surround sound.
Then I found some Martin Logans a hedge-fund guy sold me for $500
Magnepan center-- no no then thiel center---oops onto linn center--- ahhh tekton center; currently : zu Druid center

Now imagine that with every component
 :duh:

Gincognito

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2017, 04:58 am »
Current setup
LG 4K TV ( hehe my wife works for Samsung)
I run a 3.1 system--- my living room is pretty small and I find read surrounds to be gimmicky
Oppo 103D BD player
Anthem Mrx 310 receiver (used as pre-pro)
Totem tribe passive sub
Guru audio pro QM10-2 monitors
Zu Druid center
Densen beat 340 4 channel amp feeding the front three and sub
Mac mini w tidal as digital source feeding a wavelength audio usb/spdif Converter going into
An M2tech young DAC with separate Palmer Power Supply
Audience and black cat cabling throughout
<~~breathes out~~~>

applebees

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2017, 01:09 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC,
I second JLM, you need to know what music genres you listen to, what's your listening room dimensions, etc... then you'll know what you need. Tubes are great for jazz, vocal, but they dont work well with some other genres.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2017, 01:29 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC,
I second JLM, you need to know what music genres you listen to, what's your listening room dimensions, etc... then you'll know what you need. Tubes are great for jazz, vocal, but they dont work well with some other genres.
I think tube amps are great for music only, not HT, TV or films imo.
Guitar, bass and B3 players cant live withot a good tube amp.

Gincognito

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2017, 07:07 pm »
I have heard that tubes are generally good for two channel and not HT, but many people seem to really like the Butler 5150 amps. There are a few available online, but they don't come cheap...

My music tastes are quite varied. The proverbial from Abba to ZZtop...
Mostly rock pop and soul/funk
Not much orchestral or classic

I have ambitions of trying to have a small scale HT setup that can also accommodate a tube 2 channel setup.
I don't know--- I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too. But maybe if I set up small floorstanders next to my monitors, it can be possible using my Mac mini to dac to pre and fed to my AV receiver without processing--- but the speakers would need to have some bass punch. I am not a basshead, but I like clean rhythmic bottomend ( love my passive  totem tribe sub!!). But, I've promised my wife that I wouldn't buy anymore speakers until I find a buyer for my shahinian obelisks....

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2017, 08:12 pm »
Thy wish will be done:

Gincognito

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2017, 09:56 pm »
  :o
What's she called??

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2017, 11:22 pm »

Not quite sure why he'd get that when he could get a Butler for about a 1/3 less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/263017722847?chn=ps&dispItem=1
I even dont watch TV or see films, in my home there is no TV, but when I had one I always had prefered mono sound.

Gincognito

« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2017, 11:23 pm »

Not quite sure why he'd get that when he could get a Butler for about a 1/3 less.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/263017722847?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Agreed--- plus, I tend to avoid made in China electronics as much as I can.

There are a few sellers on CL near me that want $1500 for a Butler 5150.
I am assuming I could haggle them down or maybe throw some goodies in as a partial trade.
My main problem is that I never heard the amp--- although the reviews are very favorable.

charmerci

« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2017, 11:40 pm »
Buy one, try one, if you don't like it, sell it. Not sure how you could wrong - as long as the tubes are good to go.

For me, a great pair of speakers and subwoofer are good enough for movies. But if you really want surround sound.....

Anyway, those  shahinian obelisks would make amazing rear surrounds!!! :thumb:

Gincognito

« Reply #18 on: 22 Sep 2017, 12:11 am »
Buy one, try one, if you don't like it, sell it. Not sure how you could wrong - as long as the tubes are good to go.

For me, a great pair of speakers and subwoofer are good enough for movies. But if you really want surround sound.....

Anyway, those  shahinian obelisks would make amazing rear surrounds!!! :thumb:

You've basically summed up what I have been doing. I look for great deals and the thrill of the chase and the anticipation of hearing/trying something new is simply addictive! I've done pretty well in being able to buy and re-sell without losing money.
The only thing that makes me consider retail pricing is the emotiva xmc--- I want that thing so bad!!
So I had a huge tekton center and the obelisks as mains in my loft. They sounded sensational!! But my new apartment is a 2 bedroom and so the media area is tiny compared to before...

Gincognito

« Reply #19 on: 22 Sep 2017, 12:13 am »