Mixing different amp for HT or biamping - Is this ok ?

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand the difference between the "gain" of an amplifier and its "power rating"...

In a home theater setup.  Considering that I would have all similar speaker with the exact same sensibilities.

Could I mix and match a 4bSST2 with a 3bSST2 and or a 2bSST2 for various channels ?

Would I need to adjust various level of output to each channel that are driven by a different power rating amp so that the volume can be constant thru all channel ?

I know the amp have the same "gain" but I don't understand how this works...

Would having the same "gain" but different "power rating" mean that the amps would progress similarly and at the same rate but would fall short or begin clipping at earlier point ?  (Would reach the max of the 2b before the 3b, and the 3b before the 4b, etc.)

Would an analogy with the linear equation "y=mx+b" some up the principle ?  "m" would be the "gain" (slope) but different power rating amps would have different maximum "y" ?

If this is so, then I guess it is possible to bi-amp speaker with different power rating amp but they must have the same gain...  (And must make sure not to clip any channel.  must play before the maximum of the lowest power amp.)

Thank you for taking the time to read this and to enlightened me a little bit.

Have a nice day!

gdayton

• Industry Participant
Re: Mixing different amp for HT or biamping - Is this ok ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2015, 03:10 pm »
The difference between gain and power rating is fairly straightforward. Bryston amps have a switch that changes how much more voltage the amp puts out relative to the preamp. So, lets say the pre-amp is putting out 1 volt at any given time, the amp will increase that one volt by 23 or 29dB depending on where the switch is. In other words, the gain of an amp dictates the proportion of output power to input power.

The power rating of an amp dictates up to what power output that proportion can remain true without the amp running into clipping. So, you can drive a higher power amplifier harder (thus putting out more power) than a lower power amplifier. A BP-26 pre-amp, for instance, can output up to 30 volts from the balanced connectors. You couldn't get anywhere close to that without clipping 4B - only about a 10th of that. A 28BSST can take more than twice that much before clipping.

Mixing power amps in home theater and bi-amp situations is common however you need to be able to use amps of the same gain or (as in surround processors) be able to adjust the gain of individual channels to compensate for inherent differences in amps. If you were biamping a pair of Middle T speakers, for instance, you might use a 14B for the bass sections of the pair and a 4B for the mid/tweeter sections of the pair.

Does this help?

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
Re: Mixing different amp for HT or biamping - Is this ok ?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2015, 01:08 am »
Thank you for your answer.

Yes, it clarifies thing greatly.