Would you / have you sold your ripped CDs?

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
Would you / have you sold your ripped CDs?
« on: 30 Jul 2014, 08:02 pm »
but hang on to the digital files?

Did a little searching, couldn't find much on here in this regard, except an old thread about whether ripping and/or selling media is even legal.

So, the question is, say you have 1000 CDs and have ripped them all to lossless, and have good backups of the digital files.  Have you, or would you, then sell (or donate) the discs?

Packing up for a move and having some ethical issues with the idea, as well as wondering if someday I might even want another CD player.  Down side is having to store several large cartons of sleeved CDs -- got rid of the jewel cases long ago.

What do you think, and what have you done?

JoshK

Re: Would you / have you sold your ripped CDs?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2014, 08:24 pm »
In general this isn't legal (I think it is against the fair use doctrine), but in practice it is probably done a great deal.  The so called "rip'n'ship".   That referring to the websites some years back where you would swap CDs with others.  While it was typically understood most people were likely doing this, it was strictly verboten to admit it. 

I personally keep all my CDs and know what you mean about storage, but I am paranoid about data loss as it has happened to me plenty of times.  I also just like to keep the liner notes, etc, especially for music by artists I really like. 

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:10 pm »
It's a moot point for me. I wouldn't bother ripping my CDs to a computer. I don't trust them new fangled machines. Personally I like tangible stuff, gold, silver, vinyl, CDs. You don't really own anything when it's on a hard drive or two.

Doc

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:17 pm »
I don't own cd's any more, I donated pretty much all of them to the local library.

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:37 pm »
I don't own cd's any more, I donated pretty much all of them to the local library.

Did you copy them to digital first, or just let them go completely?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:48 pm »
No, that would be stealing...

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:54 pm »
I have over a thousand CDs and yes I have ripped them and stored them on a HD. But I use the lossless digital copies as a backup, and still retain and play the CDs. Usually, I hear an artist on Spotify that I like, and I would buy the CD if I want to hear it with better quality sound. The problem I have is that some CDs are recorded and/or produced well, others are not and sound like a soup sandwich.

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:55 pm »
No, that would be stealing...

That's what is not so clear...from whom, exactly?  If you are going to say the artists, then also answer how it is different than just selling the CD and **not** keeping a copy, from the artists' point of view?

I understand the music industry would like to sell more new copies, rather than have people buying music used. However, they lost that battle, it's certainly legal to sell a CD or a book. 

Chromisdesigns

• Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:57 pm »
I have over a thousand CDs and yes I have ripped them and stored them on a HD. But I use the lossless digital copies as a backup, and still retain and play the CDs. Usually, I hear an artist on Spotify that I like, and I would buy the CD if I want to hear it with better quality sound. The problem I have is that some CDs are recorded and/or produced well, others are not and sound like a soup sandwich.

I too continue to buy new CDs both new releases from my old favorites, and from new artists I hear online and on the radio.

Why did you bother to rip all those discs if you don't use the digital files?  I would think more people keep the physical media as backup rather than the other way around.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:28 am »
The license for a particular disc is "packaged" with the disc.

If you keep the disc, burn a copy, and use either one, you are fine.

If you burn the disc, do not keep the disc, and use the burn, that is stealing.

Stealing from whom? The record company, almost exclusively. The artist sees a pittance of the original purchase price. As a formal wholesale music guy, I can tell you how big the slices of the pie are.

A $17.98 list CD, when purchased directly from the label, would cost us about $9.70. We would sell that disc to a retailer for $10.74. The retailer would then charge what they charged...

Of that $9 and change, an artist (individual or group) would never see anywhere near a dollar, even after the record "recouped." There were always, literally, an exception or two.

The first band where anybody saw a buck per disc: The Beatles. The reason why CEMA "unveiled" the $19.98 retail price point in the early 90s was because of the (then) recently re-negotiated rights. Each Beatle (or their estate) got $1 per disc. Yes, that means each Beatle got $2 for the White Album, Red, Blue, BBC, etc. I don't know if that deal is current.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2014, 08:27 pm by Mike Nomad »

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #10 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:48 am »
That's what is not so clear...from whom, exactly?  If you are going to say the artists, then also answer how it is different than just selling the CD and **not** keeping a copy, from the artists' point of view?

I understand the music industry would like to sell more new copies, rather than have people buying music used. However, they lost that battle, it's certainly legal to sell a CD or a book.

It's very clearly different. Were I to sell my CDs and not retain copies, the only person able to listen to the material is the one with the physical CD. The right to copy the material is predicated upon owning the CD. If I sell the CD, I no longer own it and forfeit the right to possess the copy. Even if it is an unenforceable legal situation, it is an ethical one which would disturb my conscience (and for the record, I'm an atheist). I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't feel the same as I do. That doesn't alter my sense of fairness and it shouldn't alter yours.

I own about 2000 CDs. I've ripped all of them and the files are on four different disk drives. With that level of redundancy, I'm not really concerned with losing the material - four drives aren't going to fail at once. I built shelves which are mounted on the walls of one of our bedrooms to house the CDs. Storage isn't a problem. The CDs are staying. My conscience is clear. Others are free to do as they please.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:52 am »
As soon as a cd arrives I rip it. I play the ripped file. Keep the cd in storage in case it needs to be re-ripped.
I wouldn't sell my cd's. Although I have given some away..
Considering all of the other things I have they don't take up that much space.
Over 1,000 at this point..

drummermitchell

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:46 am »
Have to say,I'd never get rid of my CD's.
They seem the most RELIABLE source without gettin FU by the techy BS.
I rip mine thru DB POWERAMP(which I like).
Some of these friggin digital players(NOT CDP),you have to be a computer geek from geek squad to get it to plat(WTF is up) with that.
You run into errors or other crap and you need to hire a techy to fix it or send it back to the company.
Then if it's a friggin power issue they tell you ,you need this or that(SURGEX),they don't say that in the manual.
Some of these companies have to many rods in the fire.
Where they were good at a few things,now they go into unknown territory and you have to keep calling their gech or you have to send it back.
MY Oppo 95 has worked FLAWLESS for quite a few yrs.,this digital player not even a yr and its 2XX the price.
If Oppo can make a RELIABLE PLAYER,WTF is up with this company.
To me it shows they are trying to catch up,but really don't have their shit together and shows lots of software upgrades ect or you have to send it back which costs.
Why produce something that has lots of issues and the music lovers suffer.
A simple CDP or two leaves no STRESS and it's CHEAPER without the BS.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:47 am »
Of course I kept my digital copy, why wouldn't I?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2014, 03:29 am »
Some CDs I keep, some end up missing down the road.

They're much like people I've known.

Have fun,

Jerry

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #15 on: 31 Jul 2014, 04:56 am »
I have all of my CDs and in some cases, where the original was damaged (when my kids were little), I purchased new copies of the same material.

All get ripped to my music server these days and the CDs are stored.

HsvHeelFan

JEaton

« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2014, 06:26 pm »
Regardless of the legalities - No, I will not get rid of the CDs.

smargo

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2014, 07:19 pm »
It's a moot point for me. I wouldn't bother ripping my CDs to a computer. I don't trust them new fangled machines. Personally I like tangible stuff, gold, silver, vinyl, CDs. You don't really own anything when it's on a hard drive or two.

Doc

thats what i thought up until 5 months ago - now i have an anxiety attack if i cant rip my cd's to the sony (which is a great new fangled (with no issues) machine) - I thought i would miss the tangible stuff - but i find myself not really caring about the owning part. i own so much in my life - that missing the tangible stuff to listen to isnt a big deal for me - once I  tried it.

Doublej

« Reply #18 on: 1 Aug 2014, 07:32 pm »

I own about 2000 CDs. I've ripped all of them and the files are on four different disk drives. With that level of redundancy, I'm not really concerned with losing the material - four drives aren't going to fail at once....

If they are all in the same physical location a fire could render all of them inoperable but if they are geographically dispersed you'll likely in good shape regarding failures.

DS-21

« Reply #19 on: 1 Aug 2014, 09:41 pm »
***I understand the music industry would like to sell more new copies, rather than have people buying music used. However, they lost that battle, it's certainly legal to sell a CD or a book.

Just as it's unethical and a bit scummy to photocopy or scan a book and then sell the original copy, it's unethical and a bit scummy to copy a music file (be it on CD, HD/SSD, a stream, whatever) and then sell the original file.

Selling an item secondhand and not keeping a copy for yourself is a wholly different matter.