Speed of transfer via sacd-ripper over network?

mbelanger

Speed of transfer via sacd-ripper over network?
« on: 29 Oct 2015, 09:55 pm »
Greetings all,

After many months of searching, I finally found a CECHA PS3 that I was satisfied with and engaged in my first rip, which was of Elvis Costello's My Aim is True.

I'm using the following:
 - PS3 running sacd-ripper v0.37
 - pulling the data over my gigabit network to a MBP 15" running El Capitan
 - using ISO2DSD v6 with Multi and Raw ISO selected.

After about 18 hours, it's only 30% complete at 457M, which is excruciatingly slow.  Is this normal for Server-mode?  Would it be faster to use sacd_extract from the CLI instead or is USB a better choice?

Thanks much,
MB

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Speed of transfer via sacd-ripper over network?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2015, 10:52 pm »
Not sure what your process is.  I've never seen ISO2DSD run in realtime while ripping.

Ripping to a USB drive takes around 20 minutes (I know, I've done thousands).  The result is an ISO.  Then bring the ISO to your computer and run ISO2DSD, and as the name suggests, you START with your ISO and end with extracted DSD files (I recommend Sony DSF files), DST checkboxed.  That process takes about 2 minutes for stereo, or about 10 minutes when multichannel is chosen.

mbelanger

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2015, 04:59 am »
Thanks for your response.

I'm obviously a n00b at this and somehow got it in my head that running sacd-ripper in server mode was the way to go.  With that mode running and an SACD inserted, I launched ISO2DSD, clicked on the Server Input radio button, selected Multi-channel mode and Raw ISO and clicked on Execute.  I'd assumed it would pull the data and /then/ do the conversion when the data was local, but it must be doing it as the data comes across.  It's just so pathetically slow, I don't even understand why it's an option.

Next time, I'll try ripping to a USB.

-MB

newbluesuit

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2016, 12:49 pm »
I'm using the following:
 - PS3 running sacd-ripper v0.37
 - pulling the data over my gigabit network to a MBP 15" running El Capitan
 - using ISO2DSD v6 with Multi and Raw ISO selected.

After about 18 hours, it's only 30% complete at 457M, which is excruciatingly slow.  Is this normal for Server-mode?  Would it be faster to use sacd_extract from the CLI instead or is USB a better choice?

Hi MB,

I have the exact same setup, and the same issue. No problem with USB, but via network it is impossibly slow. I've tried with command line, and the problem is the same. The problem must be network-related.

In my case the PS3 and MBP (mine is a 13" model) are both connected to the same Airpot Extreme base station va Ethernet. The MBP is also connecting to the station via wifi. The IP address of the PS3 is always 10.0.1.10 What is your setup?

Thanks,
Antoine