Problems with the 6SN7 tubes in my LS100

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
Problems with the 6SN7 tubes in my LS100
« on: 20 Apr 2014, 02:43 am »
What would cause the 6SN7 tubes to do this?

I had been using a pair of Sophia Electric Grade A 6SN7 for about a year and a half. A few months back, I switched in some NOS tubes just for a change. And then yesterday, I decided to pop in the Sophia Electrics again. When I put in the Sophias, I swapped the Left-Right positions of the tubes from the last time they were removed, as I often do. When I powered everything on, there was a great deal of noise coming out the speakers. Not just tube rush, but real hiss and white noise. Swapping the positions of the Sophias back to how they were originally the last time I removed them quieted them down to where I am only hearing tube rush (although the tube rush is noticeably louder than what I hear from some of the other tubes, including the NOS tubes and the stock tubes that come with the LS100). I've tried swapping positions Left-Right and back several time with the same result.

What is this? Is one 'side' of one tube bad?

modwright

Re: Problems with the 6SN7 tubes in my LS100
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2014, 06:34 pm »
Sorry for the tardy reply.

The design only uses one triode per tube, so it is likely that the other triode in the tubes ARE bad for some reason.

Thanks,

Dan

dminches

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2014, 07:37 pm »
Nnck, do you have a tube tester?

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2014, 02:59 am »
Sorry, dont have a tube tester.

I really thought that I had swapped the left-right of this pair of Sophias on another occasion or when I first got them, and did not hear anything odd, whch would mean the other triodes of the tubes went bad while they were in the LS100. Although now I cant remember with 100% certainty, so I am second-guessing that.