production numbers

/mp

production numbers
« on: 10 Feb 2015, 05:55 pm »
I've monitored for sale offers here & elsewhere for several years. It is my observation more tower/supertower era speakers have been listed then RM era speakers even after discounting relisted items. Wondering if anyone has production numbers for VMPS speakers (s)he can share. 

John Casler

Re: production numbers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2015, 06:38 pm »
No such numbers are available.

That said, I tend to think that we sold more of the Planar Driver speakers overall, but again I don't know how many years Brian offered the pre-planar models and how that production added up.

I do know that I started with Brian around 2002 or 2003 and he often told me that I doubled or tripled his overall sales.

I might suggest that the reason you see more of the older speakers, is that the owners of the Planar MR speakers want to keep them. :thumb:

Brax

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:19 am »
I think John is right, people with the ribbon speakers like what they have and realize they are hard to improve on without spending a lot more. Myself, the ultimate would be a set of Supertower III special ribbon edition, the one with 6 Neo ribbon drivers per speaker.

/mp

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:40 am »
No such numbers are available.

I'm not surprised. Thanks for answering.

I might suggest that the reason you see more of the older speakers, is that the owners of the Planar MR speakers want to keep them.

The thought crossed my mind.

mjmessina

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2015, 03:10 pm »
What John stated is correct for me (I owned both - Tower IIs  and RM30s).  There is no comparison from the mid-bass on up. RM30s are incredible.
Will not sell the RM30s (unless I have too).  I paired them with some great subs and have not heard anything close to the sound I am getting for the price paid.

7x57

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2015, 04:57 pm »
I have no intentions of getting rid of my RM1 speakers. I suspect that most Ribbon Monitor series owners have no intention of upgrading unless they suffer from audio nervosa or have to downsize or need some emergency funds. I was a Vandersteen owner for 21 years and have no intention of switching back once the RM1 speakers showed up.

Hipper

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2015, 03:58 pm »
Would the Serial Number provide any clues?

I have RM30Ms bought in 2006. The number on one of them is 2829.