Amp is gone...what now?

Jonathan

Amp is gone...what now?
« on: 8 Jul 2004, 12:09 am »
Hi guys,
Well, I sold my Unico integrated amp last week and have stumbled upon a good deal on McIntosh 2100 amplifier that I'm going to pick up and ship home tomorrow (I'm on vacation).  After buying the amp, I'll have a maximum of around $500-$600 to spend on something else-- but I'm not sure what. Even though the Mac has volume controls on each channel, I thought a passive preamp might be nice (because it's a bit of a pain to have to switch cables every time I want to switch sources). On the other hand, some kind of digital upgrade to my trusty old Pioneer PD-65 is also on my mind (I'd keep the Pioeer for a transport).

Any thoughts/suggestions as to how best to upgrade the system from here? My thanks (as always), guys.

Jon

mcrespo71

Amp is gone...what now?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2004, 12:21 am »
What are your sources?

Michael

Jonathan

Amp is gone...what now?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2004, 04:34 am »
Pioneer PD-65 CD player for redbook; Sony NS500V for SACD (although my SACD collection is small and I use this unit primarily for DVDs in the TV room); NAD 533 turntable with a Ortofon OM Super 20.

ABEX

Amp is gone...what now?
« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2004, 04:50 am »
I used an FT Audio LW-1 last year which worked great. He now has a model with a remote which really helps.

The thing I found with a Passive is if the recordings you like were not engineered good the problems show up which made me start using or listening to only my best recorded music.

OTOH great recordings sound even better.

People complain about Bass and Dynamics lacking,but I think it's the recording mostly which make or break what you'll hear.

Good luck!

Terry

passive
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jul 2004, 11:53 pm »
Hi Jonathan,

I'm not sure what I would do with only $5-600 to spend. I can tell you that I could not live with a passive pre. I tried various passives, including the Bent Audio and Placette, and I did not like them with the DeCappo. Its true that passives are very transparent but, to my ear, the sound becomes thin and lifeless. Several friends who have tried passives have eventually gone back to active preamps, particularly tubes, but your experience with a passive may be very different. Nevertheless, I think you would prefer a tube pre. Maybe a Bottlehead Foreplay (which I have never heard) or a used Audible Illusions etc. Just my opinion, of course.

mcrespo71

Amp is gone...what now?
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2004, 12:21 am »
Jonathan,

Are you going to dump your TT as a source?  If not, you need to add in the cost for a phono stage to the passive pre(which I'm not sure what you can get for $500)?  I'm not sure how much Bent's are, but I think more than $500.  As you found out, you need good stuff to let the DCI's really sing.  If I were you, I'd keep switching those interconnects on the amp until you can afford a passive pre at the level of your Mcintosh amp.  I think Creek makes a passive pre, but I have no idea if it's any good. If I were in your shoes, I'd upgrade your digital source- with a $500 dac and keep switching those interconnects.  I know it's a pain, but it will be less painful than crappy sound and lots of input options and ability to switch sources on the fly.

Michael