Downfiring sub, carpet effects

shuteye

Downfiring sub, carpet effects
« on: 25 Apr 2010, 12:27 am »
So here's a question - with an open bottom, downfiring sub such as the Titan II LE, sitting on a cement slab with brass points installed, will there be an audible difference if sitting directly on carpet vs. sitting on some other material placed on the carpet (granite slab, hardwood cutting board or some such)? 

shuteye

Re: Downfiring sub, carpet effects
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2010, 03:23 am »
Or what if you cut the carpet out right under the sub?  Mama says :nono:, if it sounds better I say :thumb: :icon_twisted:, can't see it anyway.

MLS

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2010, 03:38 am »
Try a tile under it before you cut the carpet.  My 2 cents

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2010, 03:59 am »
Try a tile under it before you cut the carpet.  My 2 cents

I have tiles under my Rels on top of the carpet.

shuteye

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2010, 04:03 am »
Excellent idea!  We have left over 12X12 tile from when our house was built (I was only kidding about cutting out the carpet).  Just curious, Phil - what was the difference?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2010, 05:32 pm »
The wavelength of 80Hz is 14'. Carpet will have no absorptive effects in the bass range. Very little absorption until treble range actually. Any absorption will be of the high order harmonic distortion components from the sub. What some sort of heavy slab might do is increase stability.

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2010, 05:43 pm »
I have a downfiring REL Strata III, which is similar enough to the Titan to be relevant. I found I had a dramatic improvement in performance by turning the sub upside down on the carpet so it is firing upwards. I placed a 1" thinck piece of wood on the upturned feet and placed something heavy on that to weigh it down.

I had to trun up the gain on the sub a hair to compensate for this, but the bass is definitely more tuneful and tighter overall. Give this a try before you do anything drastic to your carpet.

shuteye

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2010, 02:02 pm »
The wavelength of 80Hz is 14'. Carpet will have no absorptive effects in the bass range. Very little absorption until treble range actually. Any absorption will be of the high order harmonic distortion components from the sub. What some sort of heavy slab might do is increase stability.
Which I already get by pushing on each corner of the Titan until the brass points penetrate carpet and pad.  Thanks for the clarification, Mike.