deepOMEGA 12 Subwoofer is now in production and on the website.

beowulf

Yes, same driver, but everything else is very different:

1) Totally different (and larger) cabinet.
2) Front firing with grill.
3) Can be run ported or sealed.
4) Different plate amp.

There is no release date set for the Speed Twelve yet.

What about other Paramounts within the line?  Are the cabinets bigger and/or fancier or on another level of redesign asnd performance altogether?

Thanks!

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
I'm curious about this as well.  For example, Super Alnico XRS or Super Alnico 1.5 (outlaw) in Paramount version?

.......Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
We are keeping mum about the paramount line right now. :no_speak:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
We are keeping mum about the paramount line right now. :no_speak:

Vee haf vays to make you talk!  (I wish!)

Louis O

Hi ZLS,

Many thanks for your great review on the deepOmega12. I worked very hard on the one thing it had to do and it was the ability to keep up with RS5's. The RS5's are very very fast with a cone weight of 2 grams. I gave up the bottom octave for speed and it was much more important as all my speakers have speed. The ability to let go of the note is what sets it apart. Most subs out there use way too heavy cones and heavy rubber surrounds and are way too slow. I'll never use a rubber surround or anything other than a natural fiber cone.

Both the deepOmega8 and 12 have this and will sound seamless with all my speakers. The 12 just has more dynamics and slam.

It's not just a sub, but an experience.

Thanks again,
Louis

PS Paramounts are still on the operating table. It's getting there though

subframe

Sorry if I missed it, but do the speed12s have a high-pass filter?

mamba315

Hey Louis, I trust that you have a good driver on the Speed12 if it can blend with your speakers.  Have you tried using these drivers in a dual-opposed sealed sub?  Would obviously need to be twice as large, but the cabinet wouldn't have so stout due to natural vibration cancellation.  It's been done before, but mostly in the SPL obsessed home theater crowd.  With your drivers, I'm guessing you could have one tremendously potent & very musical sub.

yyz67

The Drivers merge seamlessly, giving the music more force and weight. 

Hi ZLS,

What is the sub low pass crossover setting for your system?

ZLS

Hi ZLS,

What is the sub low pass crossover setting for your system?

10-11 O'Clock

yyz67

Most subs out there use way too heavy cones and heavy rubber surrounds and are way too slow. I'll never use a rubber surround or anything other than a natural fiber cone.

Hi Louis or Rob,

The surround on the deepOmega 8 looks different than on the 12 as if the 8 is a bit longer throw to still reach the same 28 Hz. Can you enlighten as to the design?

Thanks.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Hi Louis or Rob,

The surround on the deepOmega 8 looks different than on the 12 as if the 8 is a bit longer throw to still reach the same 28 Hz. Can you enlighten as to the design?

Thanks.
Hi yyz67,

Your observations are correct.  The 8 needs a bit more throw to get down to 28 Hz.

drummermitchell

Am I correct that there are no balanced(XLR) inputs.

yyz67

The 8 needs a bit more throw to get down to 28 Hz.

Thanks. Is is rubber or a different material?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Thanks. Is is rubber or a different material?
Foam.  Rubber is generally too heavy and slow.

yyz67

Foam.  Rubber is generally too heavy and slow.

Cool thanks... makes sense.

DBC

Three years ago I purchased a Home Theater specific product and re-purposed it to augment the 50hz to 150hz frequency range in my music system. Nothing else available at the time so I'm very excited to see Louis has developed a music specific sub with very light cone that can go up to 160hz according to the specs ?? I can't tell for sure from the photo, can someone confirm how high the variable crossover frequency can be set on this sub?

Generally when the term subwoofer is thrown around most people automatically think 80hz and below. I currently have Klipsch RF-7 towers as mains running full range using a 2 watt Decware amp a lot of the time. With the Klipsch I found augmenting the 50 to 150hz range really added a lot of clean tight weight to the low end. The little Decware presentation sounds much more powerful with the reinforcement. As Louis & Rob have pointed out, speed of the driver is critical.

Some here might be concerned the deepOMEGA 12 does not go low enough. IMO (unless you listen exclusively to pipe organ) it's not how low and loud you can go when it comes to music. Rather it's can you play cleanly up into the mid-bass region (150hz area). I know these are relatively new, anyone out there running the deepOMEGA 12 and have you tried it with the crossover set up around 150hz? I realize this sounds counter intuitive but it works in my system.

Hope to have my new Super Alnico Monitors some time in the next month.