What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #9520 on: 28 Jan 2015, 07:23 pm »
MARY CLEERE HARAN     THERE'S A SMALL HOTEL

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9521 on: 28 Jan 2015, 07:28 pm »
LUIIZ HENRIQUE&WALTER WANDERLY     POPCORN

jazzyguytheone

• I LOVE JAZZ
« Reply #9522 on: 28 Jan 2015, 07:42 pm »
CB,
I think I've Jazzy figured out.  He's got 2 CD players and 3 turntables set on 78.  Oh, and he's got 5 sets of ears. :wink:

Jazzy,
We're just giving you a hard time.  It's great to see all the music in your collection, but most of us post as we're listening.  Do you listen all at once then post?

AC
I post AFTER I listen. That's why I have a host of albums I post.My wife listens to TV and it is too difficult to watch TV and listen while i listen to my Audio.So I have to wait until she goes to bed and I require a lot of rest due to my age.I usually start posting in the afternoon.

rockadanny

« Reply #9523 on: 28 Jan 2015, 11:55 pm »
Anat Cohen

Just listened to her fourth release, "Notes from the Village".

"Rising jazz star Anat Cohen leads her New York all-star quartet through fresh originals, tunes by Fats Waller, John Coltrane, Sam Cooke and Ernesto Lecuona. This captivating, soulful album builds on Cohen's acclaimed 2007 releases 'Noir' and 'Poetica' capturing the thrilling energy of her live shows, and proving her to be an artistically adventurous writer and performer."

Cohen makes it seem easy, mixing a gift for melody and an improvisational fluidity that has few peers today. [Four Stars] --DownBeat Magazine, October 2008

Now listening to her sixth release, "Clarinetwork: Live at the Village Vanguard".

"Anat Cohen's Clarinetwork - Live at the Village Vanguard, inspired by Benny Goodman and celebrating his centennial, is a musical tour-de-force. Winner of 3 consecutive Jazz Journalists Association "Clarinet Player of the Year" awards and multiple "Rising Star Clarinet" DownBeat critic's polls, Cohen leads an all star rhythm section (Benny Green, Peter Washington, Lewis Nash ) on this seminal live recording that returns the clarinet to its rightful role at the forefront of jazz."

Never short on bluesiness and grit, Cohen clearly knows how to wail, and she has never sounded more nuanced. 4 stars. --Ed Enright, Downbeat

Do not fear the clarinet you jazzsters out there. This is very good music.

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #9524 on: 29 Jan 2015, 12:42 am »
Enjoyed Leapin' & Lopin' last night, must play more Sonny.

Sonny Clark Trio

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #9525 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:15 am »
Thelonious Monk  ~  The London Collection Vol. 1

Black Lion CD

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #9526 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:58 am »

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #9527 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:18 am »
http://thejazzlabels.com/50-greatest-jazz-albums-time/

What do you all think?

I saw this list before and thought it was well thought out. Of course you can add a kazillion more, but for 50 it works for me.

ACHiPo

« Reply #9528 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:22 am »
I post AFTER I listen. That's why I have a host of albums I post.My wife listens to TV and it is too difficult to watch TV and listen while i listen to my Audio.So I have to wait until she goes to bed and I require a lot of rest due to my age.I usually start posting in the afternoon.
Jazzy,
Sounds like you've got it figured out.  Really enjoy the breadth and depth of your collection.  Learning a lot!
AC

ACHiPo

« Reply #9529 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:25 am »
http://thejazzlabels.com/50-greatest-jazz-albums-time/

What do you all think?
Gene,
I don't think I have enough of these in my collection.  Jeesh, just when I think I'm making progress!

Not sure about Bitches Brew, though.  Haven't been able to get past the first side of that one yet.  It's a process, I guess.
Evan

ACHiPo

« Reply #9530 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:25 am »
Thelonious Monk  ~  The London Collection Vol. 1

Black Lion CD

Not sure I'm ready to tackle another Monk just yet, although Monk's Music is definitely growing on me.  How far out is this one?

Asimov

« Reply #9531 on: 29 Jan 2015, 09:27 am »

etcarroll

« Reply #9532 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:12 pm »
CB -

I'd thought it was a good list as well. I'm glad others feel the same way, of course as with any list arguments can be made. I wanted to use it to send to my acquaintances who asked me why I listen to jazz so much and what they should try if they want to give jazz a try, I think I'll send them this link. Plus, I like the fact it has a embedded Spotify link with a sampling of the top 50.

etcarroll

« Reply #9533 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:31 pm »
Evan -

I love Miles, but with that said I also have an issue with Bitches Brew.

I have a nice, 180 g version that I put on the turntable once a month and force myself to sit down and listen to it.

With the passage of time I'm slowly finding it more accessible, but it's been a journey.

All I can say is keep listening brother!

Gene

Gene,
I don't think I have enough of these in my collection.  Jeesh, just when I think I'm making progress!

Not sure about Bitches Brew, though.  Haven't been able to get past the first side of that one yet.  It's a process, I guess.
Evan

Asimov

« Reply #9534 on: 29 Jan 2015, 01:48 pm »

Jakob Bro — December Song

Asimov

« Reply #9535 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:25 pm »

Jarek Smietana, Gary Bartz — African Lake

ACHiPo

« Reply #9536 on: 29 Jan 2015, 02:42 pm »
Evan -

I love Miles, but with that said I also have an issue with Bitches Brew.

I have a nice, 180 g version that I put on the turntable once a month and force myself to sit down and listen to it.

With the passage of time I'm slowly finding it more accessible, but it's been a journey.

All I can say is keep listening brother!

Gene
Gene,
I've got the same album.  Beautiful pressing.  Quiet.  Have only made it through half of side 1.

An analogy--you can decide whether it's apt:  When I was young I didn't like eggplant.  It was, along with hominy, one of the few things I refused to eat, much to my frugal parents' chagrin.  When I was about 20 I was at an Italian restaurant that I liked and had been to several times.  I can't remember the circumstance, but I tried a bite of their eggplant parm and it wasn't bad. 

So eggplant parm became my new test for Italian restaurants.  I figured if I liked their eggplant, everything was gonna be great.  Well I ate a lot of eggplant, not liking most of it, but over the next few years I discovered that I actually liked eggplant parm, and it's now one of my go-to dishes in an Italian (and Thai, et al) restaurant.

Not sure if Bitches Brew is similar or not.  I do know that after watching the first several episodes of Ken Burn's Jazz and understanding a bit more about Bop, that I'm starting to like that more, so who knows.

Evan

P.S. I still hate hominy, although I did have grits a few weeks ago and it didn't suck, so there's hope  :wink:

Asimov

« Reply #9537 on: 29 Jan 2015, 03:36 pm »

Joe Farrell — Moon Germs

Asimov

« Reply #9538 on: 29 Jan 2015, 04:37 pm »

Lee Morgan — Caramba!

Asimov

« Reply #9539 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:40 pm »

Lee Morgan - Charisma - 1966