Taking Stock - Most discs by one person as leader/co-leader in your cache?

rockadanny

After a recent acquisition of a couple of Miles Davis and John Coltrane discs I suspected that they led my collection in number of discs released as leaders/co-leaders. I tallied up the other day and also included each disc contained in double and box sets. And they do, by far, with Miles leading the pack.

Number of discs:
1. Miles Davis - 62
2. John Coltrane - 43
3. The Beatles - 19

How about you? Who dominates your collection (include both CDs and vinyl; counting both mono and stereo releases of same recordings if on sepearate discs)?

Edit: Do not count duplicate recordings just because of different bit rates, nor duplicates if on disc and hard drive.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2015, 02:31 am by rockadanny »

rockadanny

And by the way, I never keep any recording I do not enjoy listening to or just for its historical significance. I am not a collector. I listen to all of my CDs for musical enjoyment. If I get a CD I do not like, it gets discarded. Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2015, 02:31 am by rockadanny »

rockadanny

BTW, I did not mean for this to be a contest of any sort. I was just surprised when I counted one day that I had so many discs from these artists.
Don't be shy now. Do tell ...   :)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Probably Fritz Reiner and the CSO.  I have no idea how many.
Followed by about a dozen by Sviatoslav Richter, maybe the same by Rubinstein.
Quite a few Jimmy Smith, Ahmad Jamal, Miles, Sidney Bechet...

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
I wonder why I'm not surprised by your list.  :D   So you got me to look Mr. Rocka (on the fly) and appears to run something like ......

1) John Abercrombie: 18
2) Brian Auger: 16
3) Terje Rypdal: 15
didn't count them, but having the Beatles mono CD set probably puts them in that neighborhood

Hope those tubes are keeping you toasty.  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

Damn, Danny!  You got me beat nine kinda ways.  You have Davis' "Miles in Tokyo"?  I may have 6 or 7 by an artist*.  Quite a few artists, tho, I expect.  Think I have only a couple 3 Auger plus Driscoll albums, Dent, but DO enjoy them.  Most of your Rypdal's on ECM?  They have released so much great music since they started up.  One man's passion, I believe.

*Shostakovich may be the front runner. 

timind

• permanent vacation
Beatles - 28
Neil Young - 25

rodge827

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Peter Gabriel

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Damn, Danny!  You got me beat nine kinda ways.  You have Davis' "Miles in Tokyo"?  I may have 6 or 7 by an artist*.  Quite a few artists, tho, I expect.  Think I have only a couple 3 Auger plus Driscoll albums, Dent, but DO enjoy them.  Most of your Rypdal's on ECM?  They have released so much great music since they started up.  One man's passion, I believe.

*Shostakovich may be the front runner.

Shostakovich eh jimd, classy composer for a classy guy.  :thumb: Yes, all my Terje, & Abercrombie  (& Towner, & Weber in my top 10 count) are ECM. Used to have a fair bit of vinyl, now mostly CDs.  Manfred's recordings are all outstanding, if only every label was of approximate quality there would be little poorly recorded music around.  8)

mjosef

Miles Davis 50+
Earliest from the 40's as a sideman with Parker, to until the 90's...50+ years.

Sun Ra 50+
Earliest from the 50's until the 90's...40+ years

Never counted...

They are also the two I have most often seen in concert, 10x+ for each.

jimdgoulding

50 Sun Ra's??   My, my, Mj . . you are an aficionado, indeed.

Scott F.

I've got quite a few 10s and 12s but by far Pat Metheny dominates my collection with 31. I may have a three or four more pieces of vinyl that aren't available on CD so I'd call it 35.

Kind of tough to come close to the numbers you have with Miles. I didn't realize he was that prolific. Same with Coltrane. There are so few artists that have a really big repertoire. If you count collaborations or possibly a 'guest' musician, you might be able to reach that same number with someone like Michael McDonald and all his vocal backing work. 

Scott F.

Ignore what I just typed, I did a quick search and came up with this;

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/finulanu/insanely_prolific_musicians/1/

Who'd a thunk  :scratch:

mjosef

Sun Ra

I've seen him credited with anywhere from 83 to 159 studio and live albums, most of them completely obscure. Think about that one for a moment. 159  albums, out of which most people have probably heard none. Even more adventurous listeners are probably familiar with only five or ten. I don't know how it's even possible to make that much music. He released eight albums in 1971 alone. Eight. Most bands are lucky to make eight albums over the course of their whole career. This guy was insane.

Wow indeed...looks like I have quite a way to go to even get past the halfway point... :o

rockadanny

You have Davis' "Miles in Tokyo"? 

Yes Jim.  :thumb:
Not as a single release, but it is contained within the exquisite 7-disc box "Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis 1963-1964".

rockadanny

Most of your Rypdal's on ECM?
Yes. All on ECM. Thank heaven for ECM!

jriggy

This is an easy one for me:

The Grateful Dead

93 -2, 3 or 4 disc set releases

10 -box sets featuring anywhere from 3 to 22 shows each (2 to 3 discs per show)

Hundreds!!! --and this is not including the Jerry Garcia collection...

Photon46

I'm not going to get so OCD that I'm actually going to count them, but a visual comparison would give the lead to Stravinsky. Probably 60-70 lps and half that again in cds. Lots of Mozart, Bach, Mahler, Shostakovich, and Tchaikovsky. Probably 50-70 lps and cds combined for each of those composers. Bill Frisell, Miles Davis, Dwight Yoakam, and Lucinda Williams have a pretty good group of cd's and lps on the rack too, probably 20-25 or so for each of them. 

JoshK

I have no idea but Porcupine Tree + Stephen Wilson would be up there.  Fritz Reiner & CSO would definitely be up there.  Nine Inch Nails. 

simoon

Not sure about exact numbers, or exact order.

Frank Zappa
Keith Jarrett
Terje Rypdal
Robert Fripp\King Crimson
Ralph Towner
Elliot Carter